April 22 weekend of Sleuthiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimeAddict

Reaction score
Hello.. to try to separate out the testimony from yesterday to new discussions.
I missed my usual intense sleuthing this week and watching of the trial due to family in town.. would love some discussion about just this week of defense's case pretty please! What is everyone's feelings on these witnesses, my opinion is that they are not doing much for the defense but just blowing smoke. I KNOW there are other opinions out there! teehee

Hello.. to try to separate out the testimony from yesterday to new discussions.
I missed my usual intense sleuthing this week and watching of the trial due to family in town.. would love some discussion about just this week of defense's case pretty please! What is everyone's feelings on these witnesses, my opinion is that they are not doing much for the defense but just blowing smoke. I KNOW there are other opinions out there! teehee

I wouldn't characterize it as just blowing smoke. I think each of the witnesses yesterday were very sincere. I know they believe what they say. I think the defense made a mistake with some of the questions and did not get the answers they were expecting. A little of that hurt their client. If they brought in a witness who actually knew Nancy and testified that they saw her that morning out jogging, it would be actual evidence.

I won't say that JW was blowing smoke but I do think that he emphasized some technical aspects while leaving out other information in order to give the appearance of tampering related to those map files. It seems to have worked for some on here. I expect the state to come back during rebuttal and clear that up. MOO

I have noticed there is a lot of comment regarding believability of RZ and I get that, she has a whole lot of personality. That does not discount the testimony of CH nor Ms. H. in fact i haven't really even seen her testimony mentioned at all. I think when you put the testimony of CH and Ms. H together, they are in MOO strong enough to warrant questioning of LE lack of further investigation at least.

Eyewitnesses were sincere, but ultimately not accurate and/or simply did not see Nancy. They saw someone they thought was Nancy and felt they should call or get involved. No one remembers her wearing a BB cap.

RZ thought she might have had an ipod and said she was wearing no jewelry. But she didn't get a long look, just long enough to say "Hi!" RZ also told police she thought someone hit NC with their car and then dumped her body instead of getting help. She was worried about that. She was fixated on not being called by police. She mentioned that about 10 different times. She had talked to a few different cops, some at a couple roadblock areas, but for some reason she didn't count that as speaking with police. She couldn't remember which cop(s) she spoke with except for Det Daniels. She had spoken with at least 3 others, had their business cards, but no one called her, except for when they did and she missed the call.

Food Lion guy said he saw NC between 6:55am and 7:10am at Kildare & Lochmere, but Nancy's house was 2 mi away and she wouldn't have been at that spot for another 15 or so min.

I missed the Fielding Dr witnesses, but my understanding is they saw a van with some Hispanic men down Fielding Dr. on Sun 7/13/08.

All the "rush to judgment" testimony will be completely dismissed by the jurors IMO. Brad was the last person to see Nancy alive. They had a stormy marriage at best and heading for divorce. Had the police not looked at him.....it would have been ridiculous!

I wouldn't characterize it as just blowing smoke. I think each of the witnesses yesterday were very sincere. I know they believe what they say. I think the defense made a mistake with some of the questions and did not get the answers they were expecting. A little of that hurt their client. If they brought in a witness who actually knew Nancy and testified that they saw her that morning out jogging, it would be actual evidence.

I won't say that JW was blowing smoke but I do think that he emphasized some technical aspects while leaving out other information in order to give the appearance of tampering related to those map files. It seems to have worked for some on here. I expect the state to come back during rebuttal and clear that up. MOO

I agree, Cheyenne. I feel the state will make JW's testimony irrelevant once they do a rebuttal. Too far fetched to believe someone tampered with Brad's computer, especially when there seems to be absolutely no one who would benefit in the least from Nancy's death besides Brad.

Yes - BC had an affair and disgustingly was with HM in the bedroom closet while the kids where there. That is disgusting in the worst sense of the word. No excuse whatsoever. But, let us not forget that NC had an affair as well (if not more than 1). Also, nothing has been proven that he had a sexual encounter with the woman in France.

If BC had it planned so well, as so many say, why didn't he plan to get rid of the google map search on the computer? Why didn't he plan on a dump site that we better hidden, where it would have taken someone more than 2 days to find the body? So, in my opinion, he did not plan it for months (if he did, indeed murder NC).

No one knows if either NC or BC had a killer instinct. Nothing, that I have seen or heard, points that way. Sure, they did not get along. They fought bitterly. Many couples do. That does not mean that someone is inclined to kill.

I was surprised to learn that Nancy was straying from the marriage shortly after they were married. Hearing that she expected a friend to be her "alibi", or to cover for her when she was out, doesn't say much for NC. This, combined with the wiped phone, does open the possibility that Nancy had someone else in her life, someone besides Brad, someone none of her friends knew about. Tunnel vision has been demonstrated to some degree, so even if there was someone else in her life, police didn't investigate.

The other thing I noted was that all of these witnesses saw Nancy in populated areas. The Food Lion guy claims a van did a u-turn and then was on the same side of the road as the runner he thought was Nancy. But no one witnessed anyone harassing or attacking a runner. They simply saw a tall, thin woman with ponytail and running clothes, who looked like Nancy, running out and about in what sounded like populated/safe areas.

I agree, Cheyenne. I feel the state will make JW's testimony irrelevant once they do a rebuttal. Too far fetched to believe someone tampered with Brad's computer, especially when there seems to be absolutely no one who would benefit in the least from Nancy's death besides Brad.

The life insurance policy was only $75k. I thought JW was a terrible witness. He carefully explained how to hack into a computer and change the timestamp using 2011 software, but there didn't seem to be any conclusion or point to his testimony. I also think he completely lost credibility by demonstrating poor judgement and unprofessionalism.

I was surprised to learn that Nancy was straying from the marriage shortly after they were married. Hearing that she expected a friend to be her "alibi", or to cover for her when she was out, doesn't say much for NC. This, combined with the wiped phone, does open the possibility that Nancy had someone else in her life, someone besides Brad, someone none of her friends knew about. Tunnel vision has been demonstrated to some degree, so even if there was someone else in her life, police didn't investigate.

She didn't have children at that time. Lots of free time. Not so much in the year before her murder with two children. LE couldn't get her messages, but they are able to get the numbers from her account. Wouldn't they have checked them out to see who they belonged too? The only hint of a possible affair would be with JP (I think those are his initials). It would seem that her friends would have known about someone since Nancy didn't seem to keep anything to herself. I realize that everyone thought it was Brad as soon as it occurred, but I don't see her friends hiding a relationship in order to pin it on Brad. They have children and know how devastating it would be for B & K to lose both parents.

I think the defense knew there would be believability issues with RZ, but didn't care, because it was just something else to throw at the wall and hope it sticks. I felt uncomfortable watching her testimony, yet thought the prosecution handled her nicely.

The life insurance policy was only $75k. I thought JW was a terrible witness. He carefully explained how to hack into a computer and change the timestamp using 2011 software, but there didn't seem to be any conclusion or point to his testimony. I also think he completely lost credibility by demonstrating poor judgement and unprofessionalism.

I don't think the insurance would have been important to Brad, even if it was a larger sum. I think that first separation agreement was shocking and he realized how much a divorce was going to cost him, in term of years and amount. Nancy became a ball and chain that would be attached to him for years and years. Even if he remarried, had more children, he'd still be on the hook.

ETA: Yes, I agree, poor judgement and unprofessional. At least, for the defense's sake, the jury won't know he was so unprofessional as to post on a message board the day of his testimony.

I don't think the insurance would have been important to Brad, even if it was a larger sum. I think that first separation agreement was shocking and he realized how much a divorce was going to cost him, in term of years and amount. Nancy became a ball and chain that would be attached to him for years and years. Even if he remarried, had more children, he'd still be on the hook.

ETA: Yes, I agree, poor judgement and unprofessional. At least, for the defense's sake, the jury won't know he was so unprofessional as to post on a message board the day of his testimony.

Life application: Choose your hooks wisely.

She didn't have children at that time. Lots of free time. Not so much in the year before her murder with two children. LE couldn't get her messages, but they are able to get the numbers from her account. Wouldn't they have checked them out to see who they belonged too? The only hint of a possible affair would be with JP (I think those are his initials). It would seem that her friends would have known about someone since Nancy didn't seem to keep anything to herself. I realize that everyone thought it was Brad as soon as it occurred, but I don't see her friends hiding a relationship in order to pin it on Brad. They have children and know how devastating it would be for B & K to lose both parents.

True, but if after a year into the marriage she was no longer committed to Brad, she should have packed her bags and returned to Canada. Instead, we have a marriage that was probably rocky from the beginning - two people going through the motions.

There has been no testimony that has shown me that anyone tampered with BC's Cisco laptop. None. Nada.

The entire chain-of-command of that laptop was testified to by every cop who was in the Cooper house from the time the search warrant was served (and even before that), to when the equipment went into the locked evidence room at CPD and then handed to the FBI.

For some reason people are forgetting all of this testimony and dismissing it. Yes, I know Cooper's laptop was connected to the network and ON for 27 hrs, but it was locked and required a Ctrl-Alt-Del and password to get in it. No one accessed Cooper's IBM laptop. Not the CPD, not some random hacker in the 'hood, no one.

And until someone shows me exactly who tampered, rather than suggesting someone with madz hacking skillz could get into a WEP network, that's not going to cut it for me. I am not gullible nor do I subscribe to conspiracy theories, nor do I believe a bunch of people had it in for Brad Cooper. Nope.

Cooper was in his office at CSCO in RTP on July 11th and did the search himself. As stupid as that sounds and as pissed off as it makes people that he would do something so stupid, he did it. Himself.

Brad's brother has a child and is not married. He should have known that the first draft of a separation agreement is a wish list that has to be reduced to a realistic agreement through negotiation. I think the marriage was at the point where both parties were pushing each other's buttons and that Brad lost it on July 11-12.

True, but if after a year into the marriage she was no longer committed to Brad, she should have packed her bags and returned to Canada. Instead, we have a marriage that was probably rocky from the beginning - two people going through the motions.

I agree, this marriage was in trouble from the beginning. Nancy may have had an affair 7 years ago, in a childless marriage.....but, Brad had multiple affairs recently in the marriage, which is more relevant to me. Looks to me that after the children, Nancy tried to no avail to save the marriage, most likely and including for the sake of the children.

Definitely. I'd love to know why she stayed.

There has been no testimony that has shown me that anyone tampered with BC's Cisco laptop. None. Nada.

The entire chain-of-command of that laptop was testified to by every cop who was in the Cooper house from the time the search warrant was served (and even before that), to when the equipment went into the locked evidence room at CPD and then handed to the FBI.

For some reason people are forgetting all of this testimony and dismissing it. Yes, I know Cooper's laptop was connected to the network and ON for 27 hrs, but it was locked and required a Ctrl-Alt-Del and password to get in it. No one accessed Cooper's IBM laptop. Not the CPD, not some random hacker in the 'hood, no one.

And until someone shows me exactly who tampered, rather than suggesting someone with madz hacking skillz could get into a WEP network, that's not going to cut it for me. I am not gullible nor do I subscribe to conspiracy theories, nor do I believe a bunch of people had it in for Brad Cooper. Nope.

I'm curious about the zoomed information, and would like to know more. Zooming into the area of the drainage ditch seems to be a critical point, so I would like to see a clear connection between the file size, type and content and that particular location.

Definitely. I'd love to know why she stayed.

I think she was enjoying the lifestyle of the neighborhood. She was a pool mom, as the witness said yesterday. She had the nice house, nice car, vacations and freedom to spend lots of time with friends doing whatever she wanted. Life with Brad was probably very exciting compared to life before Brad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff