LeRoy Parents Want Answers about Tourette-Like Symptoms of 12 Female Students

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Le Roy Parents Want Answers about Mysterious Illness

Le Roy, N.Y.— ( By: Angela Hong courtesy: 13WHAM ) Wednesday night, James Dupont attended a meeting at Le Roy Junior-Senior High School hoping to find some answers about what may be wrong with his daughter.

Since the first week of December, his 17-year-old daughter suddenly had tics and showed signs of Tourette-like symptoms. But she isn’t the only one.

The York State Department of Health says since September, 12 girls suddenly developed tics. Some so bad, they have had to be pulled out of school and tutored from home.

“I worry about my daughter’s future,” says Dupont. “She's only 17. She can't even drive now… My daughter hasn't been able to go to school for a month because she's got this so bad.”

Dupont hoped that the meeting with the New York State Department of Health would give him some answers, but he says he’s more frustrated and confused than before.

more at link ...................... http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45970301/ns/local_news-buffalo_ny/#.Tw8o_29AbZ0

Update on Tourette's-Like Illness in Leroy

They have ruled out all environmental factors, infections and the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. The Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta has been consulted, along with Columbia University, as well as the Genesee County Health Department and the New York State Health Department.

Dr. Young said tics like this can be caused by genetics, head trauma, drugs (all students tested negative), antihistamines, and drugs for ADHD and OCD. They said cases like this have been seen nationwide and they come and go in individuals. They add it's not uncommon to see them in waves as stress and anxiety exacerbate them.

full article and video at link .................... http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/150087/37/Update-on-Tourettes-Like-Illness-in-Leroy

Le Roy Community Wants to Know Why Students Became Ill

One parent who said his daughter began to experience abrupt body movement and tics in December said the health department must look further into the cause of this mysterious illness.

“I have not seen that done with any of these girls. My own daughter has not had anything. They’re giving her shots in the neck, giving her muscle relaxers. That does help, but they’re treating the symptom, they’re not treating the cause,” said James Dupont.

The state health department said no additional cases have been reported, but it will continue to investigate.

more at link ................. http://rochester.ynn.com/content/to...munity-wants-to-know-why-students-became-ill/

BBM

Why does that not make me feel better for these parents? "....no additional cases have been reported,...."

I saw one article from a few months ago, when there were 6 cases. Now there's 12, with this one gentleman's daughter showing symptoms in December. Then the students were most likely on winter break, so they weren't at school. :rolleyes:

Wonder if anymore will appear within the next few months, now that school is back in session?

One article I read said that young people do, sometimes, develop these types of 'tics,' but it is more prevalent in males. But these are all females, twelve in the same school, all within a few months! Now they say it's not contagious?

How can they say it's not 'contagious' when they don't know WHAT it is and how they are contracting it? They just want the students to keep coming to school, IMHO.

If I were a parent in Le Roy, NY, I'd be VERY concerned about sending my child to that school.

But, that's just me,
fran

I would be removing my child from the school. Period. That is the common denominator. I would also be switching to bottle water shipped from out of state, and installing reverse osmosis water filtration for bathing and cooking, as well as having my home tested for mold, radon, bugs, and bacteria.

But that's just me, and I overreact.

Most environmental hazards would affect boys as well. Strange.

Most environmental hazards would affect boys as well. Strange.

Unless it was something like a localized mold growth, like in a girls bathroom. Or a Home Ec or other predominantly female class.

This is far-fetched I admit, but I wonder if it could be something female related. Such as a shared box of tampons in the girls' dressing room for P.E, that introduced some strange virus or something?

Mysteryview, I see we are thinking alike.:seeya:

Incidents like this do crop up fairly regularly, but are darned strange nevertheless:

Mystery illness gives 12 girls at same school Tourette's-like symptoms of tics and verbal outbursts
A mysterious disorder which exhibits symptoms similar to Tourette's syndrome has affected twelve female students at the same high school.

Administrators said on Wednesday night that all of the students affected at LeRoy High School, in New York, have been diagnosed and are being treated but they would not disclose exactly what they think the cause is.

The students are said to all be suffering from verbal outbursts and involuntary twitches.

Tourette's syndrome affects the body's brain and nervous system by causing tics - repeated, uncontrollable movements or involuntary vocal sounds
---
So - typical outbreak of group hysteria, am I correct??
School administrators have insisted it is not a case of mass hysteria and that none of the girls are making the illness or symptoms up.
---
Well, we shall see.

More at Daily Mail link above, with pictures and a video

It could be something psychological.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45970301/ns/local_news-buffalo_ny/#.Tw8o_29AbZ0

During the meeting, Gregory Young from the state health department said that all 12 girls had been diagnosed and are being treated. Dupont says that he knows of no such diagnosis.

“Want to know something? If my daughter had a diagnosis and I knew about it, and I would as her parent, I would tell you that!”

Young told the audience of almost 200 parents and students that the diagnosis and cause of the mysterious illness could not be shared because of the HIPPA Privacy Rule.

BBM What???

At 17 can a child keep info from their parents?

I am wondering about Mass Hysteria
From Wiki
"A common manifestation of mass hysteria occurs when a group of people believe they are suffering from a similar disease or ailment. Sometimes referred to as Mass Psychogenic Illness or epidemic hysteria, there is a clear preponderance of female victims........Mass hysteria presenting as collective symptoms of disease is sometimes referred to as Mass Psychogenic Illness or epidemic hysteria. Mass hysteria typically begins when an individual becomes ill or hysterical during a period of stress.After this initial individual shows symptoms, others begin to manifest similar symptoms, typically nausea, muscle weakness, fits or headache"

Mass hysteria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The parent seems to think that they don't really know what is wrong with his daughter and are trying to cover that up. But I smell a larger coverup. I think they know, and don't want to say. Maybe fearing lawsuits or something.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the offical may be trying to deflect blame? He talks about genetics, about drug use, about mental/emotional disorders. Trying to leave the impression that it is anything but environmental?

And the way I understand HIPPA the parents are entitled to their child's medical info and the HIPPA laws didn't change that.

LOL the health department probably thought they would be reassuring to the public by telling there there was no danger and that a diagnosis was known. They should have figured that some of the girls parents would be there, and would speak out.

I wonder..... could the school have accepted a contract to do some testing of some kind? I don't know what kind of testing, but something. Even if it was something as "harmless" as a discount on a new type of cleaning supply.

If it's anything other than a case of good old common mass hysteria, I will be surprised. Down through the years these cases, from the rather exciting "Devils of Loudun" onward, have manifested themselves and, though puzzling, are usually not of pressing concern.

My first thought was mass hysteria. My second thought was PANDAS - that would be awfully rare to exhibit in such a relatively large population, though.

(and don't worry, Steely Dan - this same phenomenon cannot happen with EMUS. PANDAS are just so cute and cuddly, though, aren't they?!)

PANDAS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back