GA GA - Monica, 16, & Michael Bennett, 14, Brunswick, 21 June 1989

GOLDHEARTNUMB

Reaction score
Michael Bennett and his sister, Monica, were last seen June 21, 1989, at Heritage Apartments, now known as Merritt Landing Apartments, on Altama Avenue.

They reportedly went to help their stepfather, who was separated from their mother, Deborah George, move into another apartment on the day of their disappearance. The stepfather told police he dropped the two off at the apartment complex, but their mother said she never saw them.

No one else has either, as far as police have been able to ascertain. There were never any solid suspects in the case, police said. Glynn County police, with the assistance of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, have revisited the case of the missing Bennett children several times since their disappearance, conducting interviews with family members as recently as two years ago. Police said they have even traveled to Alabama to re-interview family members, but have turned up no leads in the case.

Any ideas?

Do they know for sure that the stepfather dropped them off? Any witnesses? Have they questioned him extensively, gave him a lie detector test, etc? This is just so sad.

I wished I knew more about the case. I've been doing some research on it, but I think I'm down to visiting a library in the area to look up further articles and maybe calling the LE... I may be able to talk to a retired detective friend from the area... not sure yet. Anything else someone could come up with would be helpful.

GOLDHEARTNUMB said:
Michael Bennett and his sister, Monica, were last seen June 21, 1989, at Heritage Apartments, now known as Merritt Landing Apartments, on Altama Avenue.

They reportedly went to help their stepfather, who was separated from their mother, Deborah George, move into another apartment on the day of their disappearance. The stepfather told police he dropped the two off at the apartment complex, but their mother said she never saw them.

No one else has either, as far as police have been able to ascertain. There were never any solid suspects in the case, police said. Glynn County police, with the assistance of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, have revisited the case of the missing Bennett children several times since their disappearance, conducting interviews with family members as recently as two years ago. Police said they have even traveled to Alabama to re-interview family members, but have turned up no leads in the case.

Any ideas?
Where is Glynn County? Brunswick?

Thanks for the link. Something is weird though-I recognise the age-progression from somewhere. I will have a think....................

Was just typing this and I remembered what it is. The age progress ion is very similar to this child Kevin Mclam .http://www.rinokids.com/Children/McClam/ I'm sure theres no link, its just the photos are similar.

I'll start a thread for Kevin anyway. It strange that 2 almost adult children could dissapear like that and theres no trace whatsoever. Their parents must be going through hell.

More info from doing some digging...

Deborah George, the children's mother, was married to a Robert L. George that city directories list as a truck driver at Well's produce with an address at a apartment complex called Abbott-Andrews. (The only found newspaper article found so far says they lived at Heritage, now named Merritt Landing. Abbott-Andrews is a totally different complex, miles down the road.)

No phone books during that time frame listed either names.

I have been given the name of the LE contact person by a former LE friend, and he says I should be able to get whatever information I need from him. :) So I guess will see where it leads.

What beautiful kids they were and what beautiful adults they would be. I wonder how well they got along with their stepfather. Two kids that weren't that little just vanished? It would seem impossibe if it didn't happen on a daily basis. If these kids were still alive they would have got in contact with their mom somehow...they wouldn't have forgotten her or their address...phone #.

Bumping, they have been missing for 26 years. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much information on what could have happened to them.

It is pretty obvious they were killed by the stepfather because the stepfather was sexually abusing the girl. They were both shot and their bodies disposed elsewhere. The father moved to Alabama a few days later, which is odd because I thought they were helping him move into a new apartment in Georgia, he of course took off so he could junk the car where they were killed elsewhere. He is the killer!

It is pretty obvious they were killed by the stepfather because the stepfather was sexually abusing the girl. They were both shot and their bodies disposed elsewhere. The father moved to Alabama a few days later, which is odd because I thought they were helping him move into a new apartment in Georgia, he of course took off so he could junk the car where they were killed elsewhere. He is the killer!

Was the mom aware this was happening? Why would she have sent her children to help the stepfather if he was sexually abusing Monica?

When I first read this case, I assumed the stepfather was involved especially because he moved away so soon afterwards. Besides for that fact, has anything else been released that would cause them to believe he was responsible? I guess LE spent too much time listing them as runaways and as a result, lost a lot of momentum in finding them. Foul play is suspected now but it might be too late to get whatever evidence they need to make an arrest.

The plight of Michael Bennett and his younger sister Monica has gone unsolved since the two disappeared in Glynn County nearly 30 years ago, but they were remembered Monday by those gathered at the Glynn County Police Department on Public Safety Way.

Michael, 15 at the time, and Monica Bennett, 14, were reported missing June 21, 1989. They have not been heard from since.

http://thebrunswicknews.com/news/lo...cle_b2434365-87e5-5a33-8aa1-55617c726005.html

BRUNSWICK, Ga. - During a visit by the Community United Effort's Center for Missing Persons to the Glynn County Police Department this week, local officials highlighted a case of a brother and sister missing for 28 years and four unsolved homicide cases.

Age progression photos of Michael and Monica Bennett show how they might look today.

June 21, 1989: Siblings Michael and Monica Bennett were reported missing and have never been located. Their father, Robert George Jr, said he dropped his 15-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son off at Heritage Apartments in Brunswick around 1 p.m. Neither have been seen or heard from since.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/georg...g-persons-unsolved-homicide-cases-highlighted

I agree with most of what you said, but what makes you so sure that a gun was used?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back