Everyone please read! This is very important!

BirdieBoo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
As we see this disaster unfolding before us, many of us are trying to think of ways to help, who is responsible, etc.

I suggest that everyone stop this for a just a moment and take time to think about yourselves. Yes, yourselves.

Please take a bit of time to make sure yourself and your family is prepared with a 72 hour kit to survive in case of disaster or emergency evacuation. You can put one together yourself or buy a commercially available one, I'd suggest doing it yourself to be more tailored to your family's personal needs.

We keep ours in a rubbermaid container to be stored in the trunk of one of our cars, but a cardboard box will do just fine, as well.

Here is a website put forth by the State of Colorado that has some very good suggestions for items.

Other items I'd suggest would be some prepaid phone cards. Feel free to add to the list with your own suggestions, but just please, be prepared. I am a member of another message board that has several posters that are unaccounted for, and it's just heart-wrenching to see all the messages from people looking for their friends.

Love to all, and take care, :blowkiss: Birdie

After 9/11 I got one together. I check on it every month. Its a good piece of mind to have a plan and those three backpacks in the closet.

Nancy

Good. I'm glad to hear you are prepared. We are also going to add some breathing masks to ours since we live in an area that is prone to fire and may have to go through some smoke.

THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!

Some pointers: You will need a group of items for in case you need to quickly leave your home: Keep up to date photos, important papers such as birth certificates, social security cards, insurance policies, a list of all meds. taken by family members, a list of phone numbers for relatives, etc. all together in one container that is easy to get to and transport. Have your treasured items grouped together--baby pictures, grandmother's christening gown, grandfather's bible (things you cannot replace) grouped together and easy to get to and transport.

Items to have on hand: bottled water, You need to have flashlights with batteries, food that does not need to be heated or refrigerated, like peanut butter, matches, etc.

Pack a bag and check it twice a year: Have a complete change of clothes, or two for each member of your family. Place an extra tube of toothpaste, some new toothbrushes, a hairbrush, razor, and feminine products in the bag.

You also need a group of items to survive a period of time in your home with no electricity or running water. Have water in various containers, fill your tub with fresh water and lots of it. You can use this to drink, or to florce flush a toilet. You will need lots of food that does not need refrigeration or to be cooked.

There's more, but I'm not thinking too clearly right now. But please, please:
Really sit down and think of the bare minimum you will need to sustain your life and the lives of family members. Make a list and prepare those items that may be unique to your family: breathing equipment for an asthmatic, diapers for that baby!

Let's all be prepared. Anything can happen anywhere at any time. We are living in a world in which even something like terrorism is a threat. Let's be ready.

First Aid Kit that is checked every 6 mos. for meds expiration dates
Bottled water and Canned meats taht are replaced every 6 mos for freshness
Baby Wipes shampoo alcohol and cotton swabs hydrogen peroxide
Batteries that are replaced by a newer pack every three to six months
Flashlights
Matches and candles
prescription meds ready to grab and pack
travel pillows and travel blankets (and old blanket for the dogs)
underwear and socks
slippers and tennis shoes
deodorant, baby powder, travel toothbrushes and toothpaste
dog food in trial size packs for the dogs dog treats in sealed packs
dog leashes (extra)
portable radio

We have this packed and by the door ..in two large suitcases with wheels... we are prepared...

We live in tornado ally... we have a well stocked tornado shelter and a plan for gettingus there .. There are 30 people on our block, the shelter will allow each of us room and room for my animals... there is one other couple with a dog and she can also get in there.. our dogs are aquainted and so there should be no problems...

This wouldn't carry us all that far, but would get us through the worst ...

Link to Redcross recommendations:

http://www.redcross.org/services/prepare/0,1082,0_77_,00.html

Taking personal responsibility for you and your family is the most important step you can take in surviving a disaster. Besides having your disaster kit ready, find out about your local/state evacuation plans. If they are inadequate, NOW is the time to find out!

Got everything together, House is supplied with 40 gallons of fresh water and food to last close to a month. First aid kits, battery run everything including tools, generator, gas, etc. The only thing we don't have is a blow up boat.

The one thing that really caused problems last season was roofing tacks that had blown all over every road in the county. Too many flat tires and no place with electricity that could fix them. Thus tire repair kits have been added.

I purchased an older home tht I knew could withstand a sizable hurricane. The roof has more tiedowns than you imagine and it also a low pitched barrel tile roof, house is concrete. The trees have been trimmed properly so the air can pass through. We dig out the canals in from of the house ourselves to make sure water will flow properly.

I have no intention of placing my family lives in the hands of someone else. If its a big one, we will leave, but when we get back, there will be the necessities here to see us through the recovery period.

Last season when returning after 5 day to the mess of Frances, I knew the first thing I had to do was find water. Our trash can became the contairer of canal water that we used to flush the toilet. You do what you have to do and be thankful for what you still have.

Gabby said:
Flashlights
Matches and candles
underwear and socks
dog leashes (extra)
portable radio

We have this packed and by the door ..in two large suitcases with wheels... we are prepared...

We live in tornado ally... we have a well stocked tornado shelter and a plan for gettingus there .. There are 30 people on our block, the shelter will allow each of us room and room for my animals... there is one other couple with a dog and she can also get in there.. our dogs are aquainted and so there should be no problems...

I forgot to add, that we have games down there to play such as cards, and board games... fans and a generator that will power those fans if we have tospend the night.. the place is very well ventillated ... it would be ok for us to stay as long as needed ....

Excellent thread, guys, excellent!

Human nature being what it is, it's only after a disaster like NO that most people think of being prepared.

Just wondering.......

When we were told to buy duct tape and pastic & make a safe room after 9/11 how many of you did?

I didn't, flat out refused to.

Linda7NJ said:
Just wondering.......

When we were told to buy duct tape and pastic & make a safe room after 9/11 how many of you did?

I did!!!!! In fact, we still have our master bath ready to go!!!! My kids did use some of the pastic sheeting at camp this summer as ground cover for their campouts......I told them to take part of our terror kit!!!!!

Another good idea for disaster preparation would be prepaid credit cards usually available at local malls that can be used anywhere credit cards are accepted. Of course you can't use them if the powers out, but if you have to leave town the extra money would certainly come in handy. For seasonal hurricane areas those unused funds could be used for your Christmas shopping and then through the spring invest in those money cards again. Sort of your Christmas/Hurricane account.

Gabby said:
Flashlights
Matches and candles
underwear and socks
dog leashes (extra)
portable radio

Gabs, you have to be kidding me????? You have all this and it's ready to go by your door????? Seriously???? I'm actually surprised your area has tornado shelters as you don't see many underground shelters here in TX. We are so use to tornado warnings we hardly pay attention anymore. We do keep flashlights handy though and the kids sleep downstairs if the weather is rough. I remember when the F5 was near us that took Jarrell away.....it was scary and sad! All we needed at the time was our walkman radio, a bathtub, and prayer.

ETA: Gabs I'm so glad you are so prepared :D I honestly have never known anyone here in TX so prepared....I will come stay with you when a storm hits :) I do have water though...I'll bring that!!!!!!!

Linda7NJ said:
Just wondering.......

I didn't. I thought it was obvious we were being told that because the so-called authorities didn't know what else to say.

Linda7NJ said:
Just wondering.......

I did that but didn't really get other stuff together very well.

Wow ya'll are prepared. The most I have done is put all my photos on disk, made copies and sent copies to family members. I try to remember to keep gas in the car. I am forunate to have the farm in Missouri if I had to look at a long term evacuation. I still have a roof over my head.

Oh I usually have a couple gallons of water, flashlight and a sleeping bag in the trunk of my car.

Linda7NJ said:
Just wondering.......

LOL no I didnt do that. I still dont know what duct tape and plastic were suppose to protect you from.

tybee204 said:
LOL no I didnt do that. I still dont know what duct tape and plastic were suppose to protect you from.

I believe it was Anthrax at the time. Or chemical attack (remember those lost crop dusters).

I know but unless you made the room airtight ( then suffered Carbin Monoxide poisening) or had a seperate ventilating system what good would the plastic do?

Sassygerl said:
Gabs, you have to be kidding me????? You have all this and it's ready to go by your door????? Seriously???? I'm actually surprised your area has tornado shelters as you don't see many underground shelters here in TX. We are so use to tornado warnings we hardly pay attention anymore. We do keep flashlights handy though and the kids sleep downstairs if the weather is rough. I remember when the F5 was near us that took Jarrell away.....it was scary and sad! All we needed at the time was our walkman radio, a bathtub, and prayer.

ETA: Gabs I'm so glad you are so prepared :D I honestly have never known anyone here in TX so prepared....I will come stay with you when a storm hits :) I do have water though...I'll bring that!!!!!!!

My husband's uncle and his wife had the shelter built ... mr.G. and his uncle have lived through a tornado.. 1973 Hubbard, Texas... It is HUGE a big room underground... and they go down in it every so often to make sure it is not holding water and all sorts of creatures.... You and yours are welcome but you have to bring your own blankies...me and the dogs don't share... and yes, this is right by the front door...only thing to do is grab and run

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back