GUILTY IL - Adrianne Reynolds, 16, found dismembered, Moline, 21 Jan 2005

MistyGirl

Reaction score
Police and prosecutors hinted Tuesday that their strategy in trying two teens for the murder and dismemberment of Adrianne Reynolds will be to split the blame.
During their first interviews with police, Sarah Kolb, 16, of Milan, Ill., and Cory Gregory, 17, of Moline, insisted they had dropped off Reynolds, 16, of East Moline, at a McDonald’s restaurant in East Moline on Jan. 21. Reynolds’ father and stepmother said they were told the same convincing story the night they reported their daughter missing.

But Gregory’s story began to change during later interviews with police. By Jan. 25, he had agreed to lead authorities to two locations where he and Kolb hid Reynolds’ dismembered remains, police said.

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

“He claimed that he was simply a witness,” Illinois State Police Special Agent Mike Scheckel testified Tuesday during a preliminary hearing for Gregory in Rock Island County Circuit Court. “He said Sarah Kolb was responsible for Adrianne’s death.”

Gregory’s story became even more chilling as further details emerged. He told police, Scheckel said, that Kolb and Reynolds were choking each other while both sat in the front seat of Kolb’s car at Taco Bell, 4400 Avenue of the Cities, Moline, the afternoon of Jan. 21.

He told police Kolb then grabbed a wooden handle from a hammer or an ax in the back seat of her car and began beating Reynolds.

“There was more choking until Adrianne lost consciousness,” he told police. Gregory said he and Kolb knew the victim was dead because her face and lips were blue and she was not breathing, he told police.

From there, Gregory told police, Kolb moved Reynolds’ body to the back seat of her red Geo Metro and drove to her home in Milan. There, Kolb collected a tarp and a gasoline can before driving to Big Island in Rock Island, where she moved the body to the trunk of her car, Gregory told police.

The next destination was a farm belonging to Kolb’s grandparents in Millersburg, Ill., a tiny community in rural Mercer County. At the farm, Gregory told police, Kolb dumped the gas on Reynolds’ body and tried to set it on fire.

At one point, the two drove to nearby Aledo to buy more gas, he told police, adding that the burning attempt was unsuccessful.

When the teens returned to the farm two days later, on a Sunday, they brought two more things with them: a friend and a small saw.

Nathan Gaudet, 16, was arrested Monday and transported to a juvenile detention center in Peoria, Ill., Rock Island County State’s Attorney Jeff Terronez said Tuesday. The teen is charged as a juvenile with concealing a homicide.

Read the rest here:
http://www.qctimes.com/internal.php?story_id=1044795&t=Local+News&c=2,1044795

If there is a thread started here about this case please tell me where, I tried searching for about an hour all sorts of ways and found nothing.....sorry to repeat if there is one. I jsut learned of this story today after reading about it in People.

This is such a sad case, my heart breaks for her and her family.

Her poor family :( I hope they fry the punks responsible for this.

There was a case on Forensic files recently, which was almost identical to this in every way, except that one of those present informed on the killer. Does anyone else remember it?

Victim: Adrienne Reynolds

Defendant: Accused Murderer Sarah Kolb

Background: The Milan teenager, and defendant beating and strangling 16 year old Adrianne Reynolds, then burning and dismembering her body. Kolb is now 17. Though only 16 when the murder occurred in January, Kolb is being tried as an adult.

Other Defendant: Cory Gregory

Background:
17-year old Gregory's trial is scheduled for February.

Kolb, Gregory, and Reynolds were classmates at the Black Hawk Outreach Center, an alternative high school in East Moline. Other students have said Kolb was jealous of Reynolds, a newcomer to the school.

The Kolb case is being tried by Rock Island State's Attorney Jeff Terronez. The trial is expected to take two weeks. During Monday's proceedings, a list of potential witnesses was presented. The list included Nathan Gaudet, a teenager who plead guilty to helping hide Reynold's murder. Gaudet is now serving time in juvenile detention. Also on the list was Sean McKittrick. McKittrick was in a car with Reynolds, Kolb, and Gregory but left when Kolb and Reynolds began fighting. McKittrick has not been charged with any crime.

Complete Daily Coverage: http://www.whbf.com/Global/story.asp?S=4051509

Jury Deliberations At The Sarah Kolb TrialTuesday, February 21st

The Sarah Kolb murder trial has gone to the jury. After a 4-day weekend, the trial resumed this morning with the prosecution and defense making their closing arguments. The jurors must decide if Kolb is guilty of first degree murder and concealing a homicide.

More: http://www.whbf.com/Global/story.asp?S=4461199

Teenage Girl Convicted in Ill. Killing

DIXON, Ill. - A teenage girl was convicted Wednesday in the killing of a 16-year-old classmate who was choked, beaten and sawed into pieces after an argument over boys.
Sarah Kolb, 17, faces up to 60 years in prison.

The victim, Adrianne Reynolds, had just moved to East Moline from Texas about two months before she was killed. Prosecutors said she was just trying to fit in at a new school but picked the wrong friend.

On Jan. 21, 2005, Kolb, Reynolds and schoolmate Cory Gregory were in Kolb's car at a fast-food restaurant when the fight began. Reynolds was killed and her body was burned, dismembered and hidden in two counties.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060222/ap_on_re_us/teen_dismembered_trial

PrayersForMaura said:
Teenage Girl Convicted in Ill. Killing

DIXON, Ill. - A teenage girl was convicted Wednesday in the killing of a 16-year-old classmate who was choked, beaten and sawed into pieces after an argument over boys.
Sarah Kolb, 17, faces up to 60 years in prison.

The victim, Adrianne Reynolds, had just moved to East Moline from Texas about two months before she was killed. Prosecutors said she was just trying to fit in at a new school but picked the wrong friend.

On Jan. 21, 2005, Kolb, Reynolds and schoolmate Cory Gregory were in Kolb's car at a fast-food restaurant when the fight began. Reynolds was killed and her body was burned, dismembered and hidden in two counties.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060222/ap_on_re_us/teen_dismembered_trial
What a gruesome case this one is!!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/31/teen.sentenced.ap/index.html

A teenager was sentenced to 53 years in prison for killing a new schoolmate who showed interest in boys she had dated.
Judge James Teros called the killing "a murder over nothing."

Sarah Kolb, 18, had been convicted in February of first-degree murder and concealing a homicide in the death last year of Adrianne Reynolds, 16. Kolb's ex-boyfriend pleaded guilty to the same charges.

Kolb read a statement to the judge after witnesses testified that she was a good friend and student who endured a tough upbringing that included being locked in her room as punishment and being harassed because of her bisexuality.

Kolb said such experiences left her numb, unable to experience emotion.

"I was so good at not feeling that I felt no feeling as she died," Kolb said.

Prosecutors said Kolb and Cory Gregory killed Reynolds in Kolb's car over their school lunch hour, then took the body to Kolb's grandparents' farm and burned it.

The pair returned two days later with a third teen and sawed the body into pieces, dumping some remains on the farm and burying the rest in a state park, according to prosecutors.

This gal got just what she deserved. What a pity though. Three young lives totally wasted over nothing! It is just hard to believe that two kids would do the things that they did. I can't imagine two teenagers cutting another teenager up. That is really hard to deal with. I don't think that she should have ever gotten out of prison.

She was tried in my home town!!! The wench should have gotten a longer sentence. I am looking out the window right now at the court house where she was tried. Was a big media thing here as we only have a pop. of about 10,000.

I'm always a day late and a dollar behind. This Dateline must have aired tonight?
http://qconline.com/archives/qco/sections.cgi?prcss=display&id=311072

Two girls, one boy and a twisted teen love triangle. How did petty jealousy between friends lead to a horrifically brutal murder?"
That's how NBC's "Dateline," the show famous for its "To Catch a Predator" series, describes the Jan. 21, 2005, murder of Adrianne Reynolds, 16, of East Moline.

I'm sure it will repeat a few times on MSNBC.

'Today is the day we let Adrianne rest in peace': Cory Gregory gets same sentence in Adrianne Reynolds murder, apologizes to family

One of two teenagers convicted in the 2005 murder of Adrianne Reynolds has had another day in court, but his sentence will remain the same.

On Wednesday morning, Cory Gregory, 34, was re-sentenced in the strangulation of Reynolds, who was 16 at the time of her murder. The sentence remained unchanged — 40 years for homicide, five years for concealing it.

Defense attorney Drew Larson asked for a 20-year sentence, arguing that a psychiatric evaluation and science have demonstrated that, at 17, Gregory's brain was not yet fully developed. A sentence over 40 years has been deemed a de facto life sentence in Illinois, and recent guidelines have categorized life sentences for juveniles as unconstitutional.

But prosecutor Jonathan Barnard argued that Gregory's original 40-year sentence for homicide should stand because it was part of a negotiated plea. The judge agreed.

Gregory has indicated a desire, court records show, to have medical issues addressed, including his gender dysphoria, a feeling of discomfort or distress that can occur in those whose gender identity differs from the gender assigned at birth. Court records indicate that Gregory is transgender.

Gregory is transitioning to female and now goes by the name Harli Quinn. The court and others in the hearing alternately referred to the defendant as Gregory, Quinn, her and him.

The defendant stood during the hour-long hearing Wednesday, turned to Reynolds' father and stepmother, Tony and Joann Reynolds, and apologized for his role in her death. He previously admitted to holding the girl's arms behind her back as she was strangled by co-defendant Sarah Kolb in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant in Moline.

He also admitted to placing a belt around her neck.

"I was a child," Gregory told Judge Pete Church. "All I'm asking the court to do is recognize the child I was.

"This case hurts me as much as it does anybody. There's nothing I can do to make up for it."

The defendant stood during the hour-long hearing Wednesday, turned to Reynolds' father and stepmother, Tony and Joann Reynolds, and apologized for his role in her death. He previously admitted to holding the girl's arms behind her back as she was strangled by co-defendant Sarah Kolb in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant in Moline.

He also admitted to placing a belt around her neck.

"I was a child," Gregory told Judge Pete Church. "All I'm asking the court to do is recognize the child I was.

"This case hurts me as much as it does anybody. There's nothing I can do to make up for it."
He told Adrianne's parents he would give his life for hers, if he could.

"I couldn't live with what I did," Gregory said, adding that he "took accountability" for the murder by leading police to Reynolds' dismembered remains and pleading guilty to her murder.

Joann Reynolds briefly took the witness stand to read a statement to the court.

"I'm disgusted, because he's the man who gave Adrianne the death penalty," she said. "She helped with the execution. Today is the day we close the book on Harli Quinn. Today is the day we let Adrianne rest in peace."

Joann Reynolds said she has thought of the murder every day for 17 years and is tortured by mental images of her daughter fighting for her life and of her dismembered remains being recovered from a manhole at Black Hawk State Historic site in Rock Island.

Barnard, the prosecutor, said, "The gruesome irony: Adrianne is not here. She will not have her day. The defendant saw to that.

"She was sentenced to death, and he carried that sentence out. Her family got a life sentence. Every day for the rest of their days, they are serving the sentence imposed by the defendant."

In re-imposing the original sentences totaling 45 years, Church said, "I believe the court is duty bound to uphold the negotiated plea."

Kolb was sentenced to 48 years for the murder and another five years for attempting to conceal it, and her motion for a new sentence was denied.

She recently filed a petition for executive clemency, meaning she is seeking the governor's pardon for her crimes.

After killing Reynolds, Gregory and Kolb attempted to burn her body. When unsuccessful, they recruited a third teen, Nathan Gaudet, who helped dismember the remains. Some remains were left at a farm belonging to Kolb's family.

A bag containing her head and other body parts were lowered into a manhole in the woods at the Rock Island park.

Gaudet died in a single-vehicle crash in Indiana in 2012.

One of Adrianne Reynolds's killers is asking for a reduction on her 53-year prison sentence, according to court records.

Sarah Kolb, one of the killers convicted in the 2005 murder of 16-year-old Adrianne Reynolds, and her legal team asked the Illinois Third District Appellate Court to reduce her sentence in a hearing on Wednesday, Jan. 11.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back