U.S. Troops Find Abused Cheetah Cubs - Trying to secure their release

Dark Knight

Reaction score
(AP) U.S. soldiers discovered two endangered cheetah cubs being held captive and abused in a restaurant in this dusty, remote Ethiopian village and have launched a campaign for the animals' rescue.

The 3-month-old cubs were being forced to fight each other for the amusement of patrons at a Gode restaurant; one cheetah was blind, possibly from poachers who kicked the animal in the face.

The soldiers, part of the U.S. counterterrorism task force for the Horn of Africa, discovered the cubs last month. They provided medical treatment to the blinded cub, fed both animals and tried to persuade restaurant owner Mohamed Hudle to hand them over to wildlife officials.

The soldiers also contacted U.S.-based cheetah experts as well as Ethiopian authorities.

Befekadu Refera, an official of the national Environmental Protection Agency in the capital, Addis Ababa, confirmed that the U.S. military had contacted his agency about the cubs and had offered to fly the pair to Addis Ababa, 684 miles away, for care. The U.S. military refused to comment.

The owner, however, was refusing to hand over the cubs unless paid $1,000 for each — 10 times the average income in this impoverished nation of 77 million people.

"I don't see why I should hand them over," Hudle told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "When I was younger I looked after goats and camels, so I know what animals need."

His sons, 4 and 2, pulled the cubs' tails and dragged them around by ropes tied tightly to their necks. Other children followed, poking and teasing the frightened animals.

Rest of story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051125/ap_on_re_af/ethiopia_cheetahs

Let's all pray that they successfully rescue these two cheetahs in time, and maybe the other animals this guy has. :furious: God bless the troops for trying, and praise Him for them finding them.

Awwww, I'll take one of them!

I know - I couldn't really take care of it, but I love the shape of cheetahs - they're gorgeous animals! Poor kittens.

Poor babies!!:(
I'll pray for them, hope they'll be safe and happy soon!
You're a dear to care, DK...
as are the troops!

love,

Ariel:blowkiss:

They are so cute it breaks your heart. Someone should treat the owner and his family in the same manner for a day and see how they like it, at least people can defend themselves.

I can't find the original thread that told of the plight of these babies, but I wanted to share the news that they've been rescued! How wonderful!

CNN Article

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP) -- U.S. troops flew two endangered cheetah cubs to the Ethiopian capital Tuesday after instigating their rescue from a remote village where a restaurant owner had held them captive and abused them.

The male and female cubs -- whom the soldiers named Scout and Patch -- were released on the grounds of the Ethiopian president's official residence after their 680-mile journey from the eastern hamlet of Gode.

"This is the first kind of rescue of animals, let alone cheetahs, that we have done," said Sgt. Leah Cobble, 26, of Washington, as she cuddled the two purring cubs on the runway of Bole International Airport before handing them to government veterinarian Fekadu Shiferaw.

The saga of the cubs started last month when U.S. counterterrorism troops, carrying out humanitarian work in the Gode region, discovered that the animals' owner was keeping them tied up with ropes around their necks at his restaurant and forcing them to fight each other for the amusement of patrons and village children. One cub is blind in one eye.

The soldiers alerted the Ethiopian government and a U.S.-based cheetah rescue organization, drawing international attention to the cubs' plight. They also tried to persuade restaurant owner Mohamed Hudle to hand over the cubs, but he wanted $1,000 for each animal -- 10 times the average income in this impoverished nation of 77 million people.

Fekadu, the veterinarian, intervened. He flew to the village Saturday, confiscated the cubs and handed them over to U.S. forces for Tuesday's transport. The vet said Mohamed was not paid for the animals and that both had received antibiotic treatment and appeared in good health.

"Had we not had the help of the U.S. military, it would not have been possible to rescue these animals," Fekadu said after arriving with the cubs aboard the U.S. plane.

More at link

Praise the Lord for this great news!!!!!!!!!!! And thank you to St. Francis of Asissi and St. Anthony of Padua for your prayers. Hallelujah! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

What great news!!!

It's too much to hope that the restaurant owner fell violently ill, puked up his own innards and died in a disgusting pile of vomit and gore (while the villagers and children watched and applauded)?

Sorry, didn't mean to ruin the "goodness" of the post. But, I think all animal abusers are not even eligible to enter heaven!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back