GA - Female circumcision in Atlanta

From the link above...

"Prosecutors say Adem used scissors to remove his daughter's clitoris in their apartment in 2001. The child's mother said she did not discover it until more than a year later."

:furious: How in the H*LL could she NOT know for more than a year. :furious: The baby was 2 when it happened...didn't she ever bathe her or change her diaper??? I just don't buy that!!!!

Sorry for the yelling, but this just makes me crazy!!!!

Um, I think I would notice something like that, especially right after the fact. i bathe my daughter everday and everytime she poops in her diaper I have to clean her vaginal area thoroughly to get all of it out of there. If you have ever changed a little girl's diaper you know exactly what I am talking about. How does a mother not notice something like that? it is sick, disgusting and barbaric. Can we circumsise him with some sissors and no pain mediaction?

so, he told the mother he did it, and now he's telling the courts he did?

people... this is america. please leave your barbaric ancient third-world customs at the door.

reb said:

people... this is america. please leave your barbaric ancient third-world customs at the door.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

reb said:

Last I heard it happens to THOUSANDS of baby boys every year right here in the USA. Where is your outrage about that?

If parents can legally mutilate their sons, why can't they touch their daughters? Equal rights and all that jazz................

who said i wasn't outraged about that? however it could be argued, that female circumcision is worse. for men there might be some loss of feeling... but for women it's more debilitating, from what i understand. but the bottom line is they are both painful to babies and people let their kids decide for themselves, when they are adults, if they want to mutilate themselves.

I thought male circumcision was done for reasons of cleanliness, and I never thought it made one less sensitive.

reb said:
who said i wasn't outraged about that? however it could be argued, that female circumcision is worse. for men there might be some loss of feeling... but for women it's more debilitating, from what i understand. but the bottom line is they are both painful to babies and people let their kids decide for themselves, when they are adults, if they want to mutilate themselves.
It is worse than male circumcision. The girls are mutuliated and then SEWN shut! They can't even pee without difficulty. I read a story back a while ago. I'll see if I can find the story link. It was the story of a model now in the states, and as I remember, she stated it sometimes took her 30 minutes to urinate. It was done to her when she was seven years old.

What a stupid tradition these people have, and I feel sorry for any little girl who has it done to her. Thank goodness they still have their G-spots, and they won't know what they missed so will still feel pleasure. I think that is it's only function, right?

Scandi

Linda7NJ said:
Last I heard it happens to THOUSANDS of baby boys every year right here in the USA. Where is your outrage about that?

If parents can legally mutilate their sons, why can't they touch their daughters? Equal rights and all that jazz................
Great point! Neither of my sons is circumsized, though many many young boys are - especially in America. It's not nearly as prevelant in Europe and my husband is European. Who knows what decision I would have made otherwise.

I do believe that female circumcision of a child is wrong because it removes the clitoris, effectively taking away any chance for the adult woman to experience orgasm. Circumcision of males rarely has the same effect on males.

Additionally, female circumcision at its core is about controlling females - if they don't enjoy sex, they won't cheat on you or be promiscuous. Male circumcision began as a religious concept.

And of course in this case, it's terribly wrong because the father cut her clitoris off without benefit if anethesia or sterilization.

scandi said:
What a stupid tradition these people have, and I feel sorry for any little girl who has it done to her. Thank goodness they still have their G-spots, and they won't know what they missed so will still feel pleasure. I think that is it's only function, right?

Scandi
I could be wrong here, but I think most women would say that the clitoris is pretty darned essential in the sexual pleasure arena.

scandi said:
I thought male circumcision was done for reasons of cleanliness, and I never thought it made one less sensitive.
Research has supported that uncut males are more sensitive than cut ones.

Linda7NJ said:

Um, probably b/c it is done with anestesia(sp) and sterile tools and not kitchen sissors b/c of some old barbaric ritual.

I found the model's name, Waris Dirie. And she is beautiful. She had a very tragic story about FGM. This link gives some information about her.

http://www.myhero.com/myhero/hero.asp?hero=WARIS

She was in Reader's Digest also:

http://www.fgmnetwork.org/articles/Waris.html

"After hours of waiting, I was dying to relieve myself. I called my sister, who rolled me over on my side and scooped out a little hole in the sand. "Go ahead," she said.
The first drop stung as if my skin were being eaten by acid. After the gypsy sewed me up, the only opening left for urine-and later for menstrual blood-was a minuscule hole the diameter of a matchstick.

As the days dragged on and I lay in my hut, I became infected and ran a high fever. I faded in and out of consciousness. Mama brought me food and water for the next two weeks."

"But for all the excitement and success of my new life, I carried wounds from the old. The tiny hole the circumciser had left me only permitted urine to escape one drop at a time. It took me about ten minutes to urinate. My periods were a nightmare always. I couldn't function for several days each month; I simply went to bed and wanted to die so the suffering would stop."

I think this gal did a good job writing about the clitoris:

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/sexuality/a/clitoraltruthin_3.htm

I was so mad when my first son was born. I had no idea they were going to do this and it was a close job! So when I had my second son, I requested for him a partial circumcision, which worked out well, clipping it only half way up.

Thanks Southcitymom, as I had no idea clipping dulled the mans senses. So they have been circumsizing men for centuries. If not for cleanliness, and it lessens sexual pleasure, was it done for religious reasons?

Scandi

scandi said:
I think this gal did a good job writing about the clitoris:

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/sexuality/a/clitoraltruthin_3.htm

I was so mad when my first son was born. I had no idea they were going to do this and it was a close job! So when I had my second son, I requested for him a partial circumcision, which worked out well, clipping it only half way up.

Thanks Southcitymom, as I had no idea clipping dulled the mans senses. So they have been circumsizing men for centuries. If not for cleanliness, and it lessens sexual pleasure, was it done for religious reasons?

[cvolor=cyan]Scandi[/color]
Religious reasons that stated cleanliness as its source or reason.

scandi said:
was it done for religious reasons?
Jews circumcise boys at 8 days old as a sign of the covenant between G-d and Israel. Based on what G-d told Abraham in Gen 17:12. It is also a sign of entry into Judasim. It is also the day he gets his Hebrew name. Nothing to do with cleanliness. Topical anaesthetic cream can be used.

Most hospitals use either the topical cream or nothing from what I gather. There is also the bell, which takes time and has no cutting involved. A string like thing is tied on tight enough to starve the foreskin of blood supply and it dies and falls off.

Here's an intriguing opinion I found on male circumcision. This person thinks it should be illegal:

"80% of the world is intact. Every mammal on earth (except bats) has evolved a retractile foreskin. The only countries that circumcise most minors for non-religious reasons are the US and South Korea (which got hooked during US occupation).

The foreskin contains over half the sensual nerve endings. Lack of a foreskin causes the glans to get dried and caloused. The frenulum, which is removed or crushed in circ is the neurological homologue to the clitoris. With a foreskin, a man and his partner can enjoy the exquisite rolling/gliding frictionless mode of stimulation.

When an infant is born the foreskin is fused to the glans the way fingernails are attached."

To think that we mutilated our sons based on false conception is abhorrent.I heard it was because of cleanliness and risk of infection. Now I am looking at a different perspective.

Yet, this little girl who had scissors taken to her clitoris is more apparent and most would agree. Unsantitary and brutal and her mom should have noticed. But, so many don't or won't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back