MD - Child Rapist Goes Free Because Court Can't Find Interpreter

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290300,00.html
ROCKVILLE, Md. — Charges against a man accused of repeatedly raping and molesting a 7-year-old girl were dismissed last week because the court could not find an interpreter fluent in the suspect's native West African language.
Mahamu Kanneh, a Liberian native who received asylum in this country and attended high school and community college here, according to The Washington Post, was denied a speedy trial after three years awaiting a court-appointed interpreter who could speak the tribal language of Vai.
Click here to read The Washington Post article.
A court-ordered psychiatrist determined that Kanneh, despite his functional facility with English — he originally spoke with detectives in English, The Post reports, needed to have Vai spoken in order to understand the proceedings against him.
Loretta Knight, a clerk with the court system in Montgomery County, Md., said she had been unable to find an interpreter to stay on the case, even after an exhaustive search that included the Liberian Embassy and courts in 47 states.
Judge Katherine Savage called her decision to dismiss the charges one of the most difficult she's had to make in a long time, especially since she was aware of "the gravity of this case and the community's concern about offenses of this type."
=========\
more @ link.

How did he attend school and community college if he didn't understand English? This is pathetic! He just wanted a loophole and he found it. I feel for this 7 yr. old child.

This is appalling!!! I really can't believe NO ONE spoke his language?

Why don't they take away his asylum and send him packing back to where he came from?

I hope this jurisdiction that set him free starts a fund for the lawsuit that will be filed by this guy's next victim. :( Oh, wait,.........IMHO, his next victim probably won't be able to testify against him so it will be the family of the victim that will need to file. One thing these predators learn once they've been caught and done time, leave no living witness. :furious:

JMHO
fran

This really disgusts me. The guy seems to be bi-lingual, attended high school and college AND spoke english with the detectives BUT because his first language is rare he gets OFF? I hope that this does not show to be a free get out of jail free pass for all of those criminals out there that know rare or secret languages as their first language.

What is to keep the guy from doing it again :( :banghead: ?

i think when we hold these idiotic judges responsible for what happens when they set them free, fewer judges will bend to the wishes of these monsters.

i think when we hold these idiotic judges responsible for what happens when they set them free, fewer judges will bend to the wishes of these monsters.

While this matter is extremeley frustrating (and very rare - the Courts spend millions each year finding and paying for transalators), the Judge cannot be blamed in dismissing this case. The Judge did not bend to the wishes of the Defedant; she followed the dictates of the law. That is one of her duties.

The Judge described the Pros and Clerk's efforts in getting this case to trial Herculean. But time was against them. Had the Judge allowed continuance after continuance in order to find a transalator and the case did go to trial and the Defendant was finally found guilty, the case would then certainly be overturned on appeal based on the law.

If the law needs to be changed, so be it, but it's unfair to blame the Judge for following it.

That is so stupid. We have a TON of people from West Africa in my area that speak it from around here - but I am sure there are a TON of different dialects though. They all come here to go to college. We are a LONG way from MD though. If he was able to get through high school and CC, he was able to speak english (he had to if he was able to get through college). DUMB. that poor 7 year old girl... justice was NOT served. i can understand that the laws are there for a reason - we should at least deport him!

I totally agree with everyone, if he could speak and read English well enough to go to school, then he could have understood a trial. I think they should have just told him if there were words he did not understood that they could give him a definition or something. I can't believe he is just going to get away with this and not have anything done to him. Has he been in custody for the last three years? I hope so, at least he possibly got that!:furious:

I understand where you're coming from and agree. It isn't the judge's fault, it's the law's fault and it needs to be changed or an amendment of some sort to make an exception when it comes to child predators.

The only problem is, how are we going to explain this to his next victim? If she survives........

There must be some way they can deport him to where he came from. I don't care if he got asylum here, he's proven he doesn't deserve it.

JMHO
fran

I understand where you're coming from and agree. It isn't the judge's fault, it's the law's fault and it needs to be changed or an amendment of some sort to make an exception when it comes to child predators.

The only problem is, how are we going to explain this to his next victim? If she survives........

There must be some way they can deport him to where he came from. I don't care if he got asylum here, he's proven he doesn't deserve it.

JMHO
fran

I hear you loud and clear. The article doesn't really give enough info about how and why he's here - I don't know what avenues could be used to send him back. And I surely don't understand why - if he speaks enough English to get through school here and work here - his needs a translator at his trial.

I just heard Fox talking about this. I wonder whats going to happen to him?

The tribal language cound be very different from the language the guy would have spoken in his home nation and obviously he can work and understand if he went to school here. He's faking and using our idiot system to go free plus get his asylum. Too bad our own citizens can't get everything to go in their favor in life.

:banghead: Charges against a man accused of repeatedly raping and molesting a 7-year-old girl were dismissed last week because the court could not find an interpreter fluent in the suspect's native West African language.
Mahamu Kanneh, a Liberian native who received asylum in this country and attended high school and community college here, according to The Washington Post, was denied a speedy trial after three years awaiting a court-appointed interpreter who could speak the tribal language of Vai.

Snip>>>
FOX News spoke with a man who claimed to be Kanneh in a five-minute phone conversation on Sunday in English. He said the allegations against him were false and the dismissal of the charges was "a good thing." Asked if the accusations were true, he responded, "I said what I had to say" and hung up.

This man attended high school and community college here in the states and spoke english to authorities yet they released him why???

This man attended high school and community college here in the states and spoke english to authorities yet they released him why???

Uh, let me take a wild stab at that.

Because we're absolute IDIOTS??

snip>>>
"The fact is on four separate occasions this court provided Vai interpreters," McCarthy said, adding that one of the interpreters had agreed to participate in further proceedings.
Court records, meanwhile, show that an interpreter was "sworn" by a Maryland court on the same day Savage dismissed the case, FOXNews.com has learned.
Loretta Knight, a clerk with the court system in Montgomery County, Md., claimed she had been unable to find an interpreter to stay on the case, even after an exhaustive search that included the Liberian Embassy and courts in 47 states.
But a look at the court docket for July 17, the day the case was dismissed, shows the entry "Interpreter sworn.” Several items below in the docket, Judge Savage “grants defendant’s oral motion to dismiss case based on a speedy trial violation.”
A review by FOX News of the audio from that hearing shows, however, that an interpreter was present throughout the entire court proceeding, during which time Kanneh's lawyer, Theresa Chernosky, argued that her client had not been able to get a good job because of unresolved rape charges.
Chernosky is heard also telling Savage that her client works at a gas station, and has not signed up for school because of the uncertainty about his future.
The translator can be heard throughout the entire hearing.

more at link...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj