Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > The Unidentified > Grateful Dead Fan

Notices

Grateful Dead Fan Unidentified male died 26 June 1995 in Virginia

Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Location: In Pennsylvania, but wishing she was some place else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKnowley View Post
Looking at the note from the two Carolines', I don't think Jason knew them prior to the Grateful Dead show, if they even met him at all. I don't believe they were friends. If they had been friends, I don't think that Caroline T. would have drawn the arrow pointing to her name..saying "call me" ----> Caroline T.
JMO
I have to agree with you. I always thought that maybe he was trying to pick up one of the Caroline's. Maybe she tried to get rid of him by giving "Jason" a fake number. At least that's what we used to do when I was that age. I would think if they were old friends, she wouldn't have written the note in that manor. If this is the case, then I wonder who he went to the concerts with? Honestly, this must be the saddest most wackiest case that I've ever heard of.
[color="Blue"]"[b]Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them."
Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theforgotten For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Where is Kimberly Shawn Cheatham?

I think it's very possible he went alone. When you are at a Grateful Dead concert even if you go alone, you are never alone. You always have friends there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theforgotten View Post
I have to agree with you. I always thought that maybe he was trying to pick up one of the Caroline's. Maybe she tried to get rid of him by giving "Jason" a fake number. At least that's what we used to do when I was that age. I would think if they were old friends, she wouldn't have written the note in that manor. If this is the case, then I wonder who he went to the concerts with? Honestly, this must be the saddest most wackiest case that I've ever heard of.

Could Princess Blue be identified soon Princess Blue? Follow us at the link below
Princess Blue Forum to find out.

Kimberly Shawn Cheatham
Missing from Dallas, Texas since April 8, 1989

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earthbound Misfit I For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM

Anyone know where Caroline Thomas of the wharf rats lived in 1995?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCSleuth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM

http://www.newsweek.com/1995/08/20/r...-the-dead.html

Just for some documentation: last paragraph, CT named as part of Wharf Rats, FWIW, date 1995
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theforgotten View Post
I doubt was a fake number they apparently left when he was asleep or passed out. Deadhead concerts are known for their parties. They would have just signed the note without a number my thinking plus CT took the time to draw arrow and say call me. That is not a girl looking to blow off a guy. JMO

He had two tickets maybe the driver was the guys that he went with, possibly a deal like you buy I'll fly. The driver paid to get them there and he bought the tickets? Did the driver had stub on him too?

There are many deadhead yearly events and they travel around to these shows. Might find some web sites searches for deadhead fans. They have a big event at least 3 times a year near me called Zoe I believe. Good chance if these 2 girls were deadhead they might still be following. I know of people they have for 30 year
I can't imagine nobody was ever looking for this young man.. how sad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paschein For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paschein View Post
He had two tickets maybe the driver was the guys that he went with, possibly a deal like you buy I'll fly. The driver paid to get them there and he bought the tickets? Did the driver had stub on him too?

respectfully snipped. I think the drivers family would be able to verify the area where he was coming from or known if he was a dead head. I believe the LE interviews with the drivers family led LE to believe grateful doe was likely a hitchiker. The two tickets may be he held onto someone elses and forgot to give it back.

jmo

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Jason Doe had 2 ticket stubs to the Grateful Dead concerts in his pocket, one ticket stub was for Saturday, June 24, 1995 and the other ticket stub was for Sunday, June 25, 1995. The driver (Michael Eric Hager) was a GD fan, he was in NY on both the 24th and the 25th, so we are very certain that he did not attend either concert. It is probable that Jason Doe did attend the concerts and it is also possible he attended the shows by himself.

It is very sad that Jason Doe's case has gone unsolved this long, hopefully, we will have answers to his identity soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paschein View Post

I can't imagine nobody was ever looking for this young man.. how sad.

Could Princess Blue be identified soon Princess Blue? Follow us at the link below
Princess Blue Forum to find out.

Kimberly Shawn Cheatham
Missing from Dallas, Texas since April 8, 1989

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Earthbound Misfit I For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Jason Doe had 2 ticket stubs to the Grateful Dead concerts in his pocket, one ticket stub was for Saturday, June 24, 1995 and the other ticket stub was for Sunday, June 25, 1995. The driver (Michael Eric Hager) was a GD fan, he was in NY on both the 24th and the 25th, so we are very certain that he did not attend either concert. It is probable that Jason Doe did attend the concerts and it is also possible he attended the shows by himself.

It is very sad that Jason Doe's case has gone unsolved this long, hopefully, we will have answers to his identity soon.
Yes sorry I should have gone and read the other thread I did see that after that was both nights. he sure must have been a deadhead at least.
I am a radio DJ so I did post a note on my FB page for deadheads and everyone to check it out I have listeners all over the world.

Did anyone ever write Caroline Thomas by chance to see if just maybe it was her on the note? The Caroline O & Caroline T would be characteristic of a AA/NA group and that is what the Wharf Rats are and they attend concerts.
Just a thought.
Thanx for the reply
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paschein For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 09:27 PM

In one of the other threads here, someone was in direct contact with the Carolines via email many years ago. Will search for a link to post for you to the nature of the interaction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to runr For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
The tickets were a question I had and posted of it in another thread. Thank you for enlightening this subject.

To catch a criminal, you must think like one. (Professor Hamre)
The Following User Says Thank You to Debbie Miller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Would be a good thing if either of the CAROLINE'S were located...

#789UMCO unidentified found The victim was discovered on September 8, 2004 in the Flat Tops, White River National Forest, Garfield County, Colorado
Estimated Date of Death: No longer than 5 years prior to discovery he left a note to "LIB"
PLEASE HELP me find out who this unidentified person is so he can be buried rightfully near his family...

I DO NOT TOLERATE HARASSMENT...
Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM

I'm struggling with the theory that the Carolines gave a fake number. Although that's something I've done in my youth, the way the letter is written and the information it contains doesn't seem like that's what it is. If a guy asked for my number and I wanted to give him a fake one, I would have written down a fake number - not a note saying "call me." I agree what with others have said - this note was written and left for Jason. Whether he was asleep and the girls had to take off, or whether they were supposed to rendezvous and they left before he made it I'm not sure. Either scenario fits, but it does seem like the girls (or at least one of them) wanted Jason to contact them at some point. That's why it doesn't sit with me that the number was pursued and nothing came out of it. Very strange.

The lack of area code is the most compelling part to me. There are a list of states that have a single area code and don't require the use of it to dial within the state. I can imagine that in 1995 there may have even been 1 or 2 more states not on this list: Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, D.C., and Wyoming. Growing up in Delaware, I would never have given an area code as part of my phone number.

That alone doesn't answer any questions, just food for thought. It could be that the Carolines and Jason met and were from the same area so the area code was assumed. Was the note dated? Another consideration that I'm sure has been brought up is that the note was given to Jason in the past and that he brought it with him in hopes of calling Caroline and connecting with her at some point in his travels. Maybe at the time he died Caroline was no longer at the number...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pjclover For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 AM
<This space for rent>

Connecticut also didn't have more than one area code in 1995. In fact, it may have still had long distance that didn't require an area code in state. I'll have to look into that, as the change over was around that time. Yes, I just checked and as I suspected, CT got it's second area code in 1995. But it was in August, after Jason Doe was found.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Good point, Necco. I just did a quick search and it looks like there were a lot of new area codes added across the country in 1995. It didn't look like any states aside from Connecticut went from just a single area code to more than one, but hopefully anyone reading this that lived in a single area code state not listed can chime in.

I read through all the previous threads that I thought might contain info about the police follow ups on the number. From what I could tell, those of you that talked to law enforcement were told that the number was followed up on and led nowhere, but no clarification was given as to exactly what that meant. Since those threads were from a couple of years ago, do we now know any additional information? Do we know if a Caroline was reached but couldn't give any identifying information or if the number turned out to be false?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 PM

I used to travel with the Dead and various bands. My theory is that he didn't know the Carolines. People bum rides from one another, hitchhike, and ride with people they barely know. I'm almost certain Jason Doe was not a regular on the Dead scene. Most Deadheads would not buy a promo shirt, from the tour, they would buy a "homemade" one off the lot, or trade for one. My thoughts are that he ended up at the concert one way or another, and whoever he was riding with took off with all of his stuff, or his stuff got stolen. He found the Carolines some time during the event, and was planning to get a ride from them, maybe they were heading in the same general direction after the shows. For one reason or another, the Carolines had to leave without him, maybe they couldn't find him, so he hitched a ride to wherever he was going. Another theory of mine is that the note in his pocket wasn't for him, but was somebody else's note.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thefinder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 03:32 PM

to add to that, I've always wondered if they left without him, and he had no stuff, how did he get the note? Maybe they left the note with someone that they both were acquainted with. Maybe he borrowed the pants he was wearing and the note was to someone else, or maybe he was given the note to give to someone else, and never ended up giving it to that person.
The Following User Says Thank You to thefinder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjclover View Post
I'm struggling with the theory that the Carolines gave a fake number. Although that's something I've done in my youth, the way the letter is written and the information it contains doesn't seem like that's what it is. If a guy asked for my number and I wanted to give him a fake one, I would have written down a fake number - not a note saying "call me." I agree what with others have said - this note was written and left for Jason. Whether he was asleep and the girls had to take off, or whether they were supposed to rendezvous and they left before he made it I'm not sure. Either scenario fits, but it does seem like the girls (or at least one of them) wanted Jason to contact them at some point.
I agree with this post. If I wanted to get rid of a guy I wasn't interested in, I would have just written down a fake number. I wouldn't have written "call me!" and bothered to draw a smiley face at the end of the note. It would be very unfortunate if LE didn't research the phone number angle thoroughly because they assumed it was fake. I think this young man could have been identified if every phone number with an area code and a 914 prefix had been called immediately after the car accident.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runr View Post
In one of the other threads here, someone was in direct contact with the Carolines via email many years ago. Will search for a link to post for you to the nature of the interaction.
did you ever find anything regarding this?
The Following User Says Thank You to njf520 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by runr
Quote:
Originally Posted by njf520 View Post
did you ever find anything regarding this?
bumping
Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 PM

There is a Caroline Thomas in Floyd County Virginia. Is she the same woman that was contacted before as the "Wharf Rat"? if not this should be looked into because Floyd County has a lot of deadheads living there. I know a lot of people that live there and I saw this "Caroline Thomas" on a friend of mines friend list. She seems to have lived in North Carolina before but that's just a guess . Looks like all her friends live on the East Coast.

edit: Seems the other Caroline Thomas "wharf rat" lives in Arizona unless she moved to Virginia. Hope I found a lead.

Last edited by Spawngasm; 02-15-2013 at 09:00 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spawngasm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda Swenson View Post
Originally Posted by runr

bumping
from what i've read, that's not true. le tried many permutations of that number and none turned up with anything. without an area code it makes it even harder to pinpoint where to look.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Always wanted to be Nancy Drew

I wonder if it was a pager number, not an actual landline....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snarky247 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawngasm View Post
There is a Caroline Thomas in Floyd County Virginia. Is she the same woman that was contacted before as the "Wharf Rat"? if not this should be looked into because Floyd County has a lot of deadheads living there. I know a lot of people that live there and I saw this "Caroline Thomas" on a friend of mines friend list. She seems to have lived in North Carolina before but that's just a guess . Looks like all her friends live on the East Coast.

edit: Seems the other Caroline Thomas "wharf rat" lives in Arizona unless she moved to Virginia. Hope I found a lead.
Do you know what high school Caroline Thomas of Floyd County went to?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM

I have seen Jason Kennedy from Havelock mentioned more than once as a possible match. If Caroline Thomas used to live in North Carolina, would they not have lived in the same area and not need an area code? This might seem a strange question, but I'm not from USA and not sure about the area code issue.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:36 PM

Maybe he met the Caroline's at another time (not at the concert) and was on his way to visit them so had the number in his pocket. They could have lived in another part of the country that he was hitch hiking to.