9 Year Old Begs to go Home

And the same child's mother gave up her parental rights leaving sole custody to that father who had a criminal record before the child was ever born.

I think it is extremely cruel to any child kidnapped and removed from their parent to intentionally drag out the legal process for years and to prevent a gradual reunification with the parent. In this case, the Judge and child protection authorities apparently share my opinion because the child has been back with dad a couple of months now.

JMO

Kidnapping or not it is misleading because the father wouldn't have been available for reunification years ago since he was in prison.

It doesn't seem like he ever put much effort and commitment into this parenting thing or events would have unfolded quite differently.

If he truly didn't want her back, he wouldn't have appealed the decision terminating his parental rights.

JMO

Just because a parent wants his RIGHTS doesn't mean he wants and is able to take back the RESPONSIBILITY for a child.

A parent who cherishes the responsibility would do his best to attend hearings, not be involved with meth and violent crime, not to hand his child over to various caregivers, not to end up in prison.

Just because a parent wants his RIGHTS doesn't mean he wants and is able to take back the RESPONSIBILITY for a child.

A parent who cherishes the responsibility would do his best to attend hearings, not be involved with meth and violent crime, not to hand his child over to various caregivers, not to end up in prison.

I think it does mean he wants responsibility for the child. He also has other children and is responsible for them as well.

It is unrealistic to require an incarcerated person to personally attend hearings. I do believe he attended by telephone but even that doesn't matter now because this case is basically over. If he screws up,the DCFS will intervene and find another placement.

JMO

I think it does mean he wants responsibility for the child. He also has other children and is responsible for them as well.

It is unrealistic to require an incarcerated person to personally attend hearings. I do believe he attended by telephone but even that doesn't matter now because this case is basically over. If he screws up,the DCFS will intervene and find another placement.

JMO

He wasn't incarcerated when the first hearings occurred. And how is he responsible for his other children? The only info I have is that they are adults and not doing well.

He wasn't incarcerated when the first hearings occurred. And how is he responsible for his other children? The only info I have is that they are adults and not doing well.

I have no idea where you are getting your information or that he didn't attend hearings. The news media reported he was responsible for his other children. He didn't give up parental rights to any of them.

By the end of the month, McCaul went to Tennessee to collect his daughter.

But the carer's parents contacted Dickson County sheriff's department and told them they believed the father 'had a violent history' and was coming to Tennessee to take the child back.

It's unclear whether McCaul did in fact have a violent history at that point and it is also unknown whether he had harmed the infant in the past.

But Detective Amy Longtin stopped McCaul from taking Sonya back and called the Department of Children's Services.

The next month, the Dickson County Juvenile Court placed Sonya in the carer's parents' home but soon after she went to live with Kim Hodgin, a co-worker of the carer's mother, and her husband.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...logical-father-Josh-McCaul.html#ixzz32NmM8G2V

How was he responsible for his other children? He was in prison/on probation for a large part of his adult life. Obviously he couldn't have been raising them while he was in prison. In addition, the author of that daily mail article doesn't know what he/she is talking about. It's clear the father had violent history. Unless one doesn't consider robbery as a violent crime.

Kidnapping or not it is misleading because the father wouldn't have been available for reunification years ago since he was in prison.

It doesn't seem like he ever put much effort and commitment into this parenting thing or events would have unfolded quite differently.

Babysitter took his child to another state with father's permission.
So, at the time she took the child to another state, it wouldn't have been kidnapping.
Once she didn't return the child, he could have gone to get the child, or filed kidnapping charges.
Doesn't appear he ever did either.

How was he responsible for his other children? He was in prison for a large part of his adult life. Obviously he couldn't have been raising them either while he was in prison. In addition, the author of that daily mail article doesn't know what he/she is talking about. It's clear the father had violent history. Unless one doesn't consider robbery as a violent crime.

The reporter stated the facts. He had a violent history before the woman made a baby with him. After the baby's birth, he got custody. If he had a violent history toward the child, please provide a link. Thanks.

If he had a violent history before the baby was born he had a violent history when the carer's parents contacted the Dickson county sheriff.

The reporter stated the facts. He had a violent history before the woman made a baby with him. After the baby's birth, he got custody. If he had a violent history toward the child, please provide a link. Thanks.

Did anyone claim he had violent history toward the child?
Why are you asking for a link to something I never said?

JMO

It is unrealistic to assume an incarcerated person who can't personally attend a little hearing every now and then to be responsible for his children.

Being responsible for children requires a lot more time, availability and effort than showing up at a hearing.

If you truly want responsibility for your child you straighten yourself out and don't make yourself unavailable for 15 years.

It is unrealistic to assume an incarcerated person who can't personally attend a little hearing every now and then to be responsible for his children.

Being responsible for children requires a lot more time, availability and effort than showing up at a hearing.

If you truly want responsibility for your child you straighten yourself out and don't make yourself unavailable for 15 years.

Do you have a link? I've not seen anything that says he failed to attend any hearings at all. Thanks.

Do you have a link? I've not seen anything that says he failed to attend any hearings at all. Thanks.

Even if he didn't he failed to attend numerous school events, birthday parties, doctor's appointments, playdates, playground visits, etcetera, because he valued his criminal career over his daughter's needs.

I don't think he wanted to give up the child. But he was incarcerated for years while the child was growing. Therefore he couldn't raise the child. The bio grandma had her hands full with 7 other children she took in after their relative abandoned them.
It doesn't appear anybody else from his family was interested in raising the child.
So the Hodgins give the child what certainly looks like a happy childhood.
At 9 years old, shouldn't the child at least have had a hearing as to what is in her best interests?

I have no idea where you are getting your information or that he didn't attend hearings. The news media reported he was responsible for his other children. He didn't give up parental rights to any of them.

By the end of the month, McCaul went to Tennessee to collect his daughter.

But the carer's parents contacted Dickson County sheriff's department and told them they believed the father 'had a violent history' and was coming to Tennessee to take the child back.

It's unclear whether McCaul did in fact have a violent history at that point and it is also unknown whether he had harmed the infant in the past.

But Detective Amy Longtin stopped McCaul from taking Sonya back and called the Department of Children's Services.

The next month, the Dickson County Juvenile Court placed Sonya in the carer's parents' home but soon after she went to live with Kim Hodgin, a co-worker of the carer's mother, and her husband.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...logical-father-Josh-McCaul.html#ixzz32NmM8G2V

If you could, please link to where the media cited Mr. McCaul as "responsible" for his children. Any of them. I've linked to the information twice, as to his non-appearance at the hearings. (His mom appeared in October 06', however). Here it is again with the key parts bolded:

Here is a complete, detailed timeline of the case and dad's record:

1. 5-25-84 - (Age 13) Dad is arrested for one count of something that is sealed.
2. 6-27-84 - Dad is arrested for two counts of something that is sealed.
3. Dad pleads guilty to the 5-25-84 charge and the June charges are dropped. He is sentenced to 6 months probation at home.
4. 9-8-86 - (Age 15) Dad is arrested, pleads guilty and is sent to jail for 14 months. He is released just after turning 17.
5. 5-16-88 - (Age 17) - Dad is arrested again 4 months after being released from detention. He is charged with three counts of burglary. He pled guilty to one of the counts in exchange for having the other two dropped, and was sentenced to 1-2 years in prison. He is released from his second stint in prison at the age of 18, after spending 10 months in jail for burglary.
6. 7-89 through 1-90 - (Ages 18-19)- Dad is on probation.
7. 6-25-90 to 6-27-90- (Age 19) Dad goes on a 2 day robbery spree, robbing four convenience stores and two innocent, random individual targets. He was convicted of three of the robberies. He spends 6 years in prison. [At 2348 26 June 90 Ms. Brown [manager of the store] observed suspects 1 [John McCaul] and 2 [John’s buddy] heading for the front door of the store about to enter. Suspect 1 (taller stick-up man) had a shotgun protruding from a grey colored “suit”-type jacket or coat. Ms. Brown attempted to hold doors closed to prevent entry, but was unsuccessful. Suspect 1 [John McCaul] pushed Ms. Brown to the end of the counter, telling Suspect 2 “get the money [illegible]”-and ordering Ms. Nickie [store clerk] to “hit the floor”. … After retrieving the below items from the cash register both suspects started for the door. Suspect #1 [John McCaul]-as an after thought grabbed two cartons of Marlboro Reds prior to exit; fleeing on foot …http://houseofveritas.weebly.com/blog/johns-shotgun-in-the-dark]
8. 7-28-97 - (Age 26) Dad is released from prison.
9. 8-97 - Dad meets Jeff Hoover, two weeks after Dad is released from prison. Hoover tells dad he had to “whack a couple of people” a month before. Indeed, Hoover murdered two people in a drug deal gone wrong. Dad says nothing to LE about this information and continues to hang out with Hoover. He does not warn his brother and his brother’s family, with whom he is living, that Hoover is dangerous. Hoover borrowed and used Dad’s brother’s gun for the murders, however, so the brother probably wouldn’t have been too alarmed by the info.
10. In 2001 (Age 30) John was arrested for 3rd degree assault (a misdemeanor), then again the next week for “assault by mutual consent.” He appears to have been setting up fight clubs.
11. 1997-2006 - (Ages 26-35) the Dad makes statements indicating he was involved in drug trafficking and drug running with the Hell’s Angels during this time period. But, as he states when asked directly about what crimes he committed during this time period, “The only thing I was charged for was gun crimes”.
12. 2004-2005 - Dad is part owner of a strip club which was shut down after raids found it employed underage girls (one of whom was later found murdered), and seven pounds of marijuana, a gun and various distribution paraphernalia at the club.
13. 6-04 - Dad is cited for speeding but fails to appear on his ticket.
14. 7-04 - The child, “S”, is born.
15. 4-05 - The mother requests and receives a restraining order against Dad.
16. 2005 - The child’s mother gives up her parental rights and Dad is awarded custody of the child.
17. 2005 - Dad hires a caregiver to care for the child.
18. 7-05 - The caregiver takes the child to TN with Dad’s permission.
19. 9-27-05 - The caregivers alert LE to having child and adsk what to do. Later that same month, Dad sends two friends to try to get her back. LE and DCS is called. The men are prevented from taking the child.
20. 10-5-05 - DCS is granted custody of the child. Dad does not attend the hearing. The adoptive parents begin providing care for the child 5-6 days per week.
21. 10-05 - in mid-October 2005, Dad is arrested for firearms possession. He posts bond.
22. 12-5-05 - Dad receives a firearm in violation of the law prohibiting felons from owning firearms. He is released on $10,000 bond.
23. 12-13-05 - While out on bail–Dad was cited for not having valid license plates on his car. He failed to pay the fine or appear, and had a bench warrant issued for his arrest.
24. 12-05 - Two weeks later Dad is pulled over again - this time cited for driving without his license and having no valid registration. As part of his sentence his driver’s license was suspended.
25. 1-11-06 - Dad is cited again for driving without his license and having no registration, but now also for driving with a suspended license. He does not show up to court - again - and so once more a bench warrant was issued for his arrest.
26. 1-24-06 - Dad was pulled over and cited for not having proper registration on his car. His license was further suspended. He spends two weeks in jail for failing to appear on his traffic ticket warrants.
27. 1-27-06 - One of the buddies that tried to get the child back from TN is granted a restraining order against Dad for harassment.
28. 2-28-06 - Dad is pulled over for speeding. In his car is found a gun and meth and drug paraphernalia.
29. 2-28-06 - Dad receives a firearm in violation of the law prohibiting felons from owning firearms.
30. 3-06 - Dad is pulled over for having improper lights and driving with a suspended license. He fails to appear again and is arrested again on a bench warrant. He spent two days in jail.
31. 4-3-06 - The child is placed in the adoptive parents’ home as foster parents.
32. 4-20-06 - Dad is pulled over for failure to stop and driving with a suspended license. He again fails to appear and a bench warrant is issued for his arrest.
33. 4-20-06 - Dad is indicted for receiving firearms in violation of the law prohibiting felons from owning firearms.
34. 7-3-06 - the adoptive parents petition the court to terminate the parents’ parental rights and adopt the child.
35. 8-06 - the paternal grandmother’s home is approved as a placement for the minor.
36. 10-4-06 - At hearing, the court in TN issues a finding that the child was dependent and neglected and continuing DCS’s legal custody of the child.
37. 10-5-06 - the paternal grandmother files a motion to intervene and seeks custody of the child.

38. Fall 2006 - (Age 35) Dad pleads guilty to weapons charges and is sentenced to 15 years.
39. 3-13-07 - Mom’s parental rights are terminated in TN.
40. 1-07 - Dad’s sentence is reduced to 7.5 years after he turns state’s evidence in the Hoover murder.
41. 6-13-08 - Dad is deposed by phone in connection with the request to terminate his parental rights.
42. 7-6-08 - Dad’s parental rights are terminated. He appeals.
43. 10-9-09 - the adoption is overturned.
44. 10-26-12 - (Age 41) Dad is released from prison with strict parole conditions.
45. 1-29-14 - The child is taken by DCS and given to Dad who she had not seen since she was an infant.

http://tba2.org/tba_files/TCA/2009/sjm_112309.pdf

http://bringsonyahome.com/sonya-hodgin-story/

http://houseofveritas.weebly.com/blog/category/john-mccaul

Here is the criminal and dependency court record for Dad’s parents (including the child’s grandma who was rejected as a placement by TN DCS and who has her own background with social services and the dad’s father who was accused of raping and molesting his own, six year old granddaughter) and his brothers. This is the child’s new family she is supposedly so happy reuniting with:

http://houseofveritas.weebly.com/blog/the-family-that-felonies-together-stays-together

http://houseofveritas.weebly.com/blog/not-so-stranger-danger

As to his "responsibility" for his adult children, the second to last link above shows that his kids are in their 20's. Matching their ages with Dad's periods of incarceration, I fail to see how he was able to be "responsible" for his kids much. He wasn't there.

And if he was an influence, it apparently doesn't seem to have been a good one. One of his sons was convicted for manslaughter after throwing a large piece of concrete from a bridge onto a road below, killing a woman. (See second to last link above).

If you could, please link to where the media cited Mr. McCaul as "responsible" for his children. Any of them. I've linked to the information twice, as to his non-appearance at the hearings. (His mom appeared in October 06', however). Here it is again with the key parts bolded:

As to his "responsibility" for his adult children, the second to last link above shows that his kids are in their 20's. Matching their ages with Dad's periods of incarceration, I fail to see how he was able to be "responsible" for his kids much. He wasn't there.

And if he was an influence, it apparently doesn't seem to have been a good one. One of his sons was convicted for manslaughter after throwing a large piece of concrete from a bridge onto a road below, killing a woman. (See second to last link above).

With all due respect, the allegations on blogs, social media, etc., about the child's biological family did not influence Tennessee DCS because they sought placement with her biological family years ago. The father has filed a defamation lawsuit so it is possible some of it isn't true.

I don't see what posting it accomplishes today. What if the child reads this stuff? What if her friends read it? How does it help her? The Court decided this case months ago.

JMO

McCaul and Gasaway have filed a lawsuit against seventeen people, including the Hodgins, for defamation.

"I have a whole book printed of what was said about him online that was untrue," said Gasaway.

McCaul said he's received death threats in recent weeks and he fears for the well-being of his daughter under what has now become a national media spotlight.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/2...-in-high-profile-cross-country-custody-battle

oh even better.

I'm sorry. I have no allegiance to bio parents. I am one of those kids. Dad in and out of jail with 5 different kids by god knows how many baby mommas. You wanna know what I wanted? Peace, stability, love. Thank god my grandmother had all of that. I shudder at the thought of being shuffled around from place to place of my dads family!!!

Repeat offenders with those kinda chargers should have their rights ended. Period. Obviously he was about that life and not worried about his children.

And let me add. Just cause he didnt abuse his kids mean nothing. I was never abused but trust me, being around drug dealers, ladies of the night babysitting on the weekends and fun "trips" outta town to sell guns is no life for any child.

oh even better.

I'm sorry. I have no allegiance to bio parents. I am one of those kids. Dad in and out of jail with 5 different kids by god knows how many baby mommas. You wanna know what I wanted? Peace, stability, love. Thank god my grandmother had all of that. I shudder at the thought of being shuffled around from place to place of my dads family!!!

ITA. He was in prison for a large part of child's life. That he can get out of prison, and DCF can decide that the child has to go back to him, frankly, it boggles my mind.
Child is not a piece of furniture that doesn't have any feelings.
During the time bio dad is in prison this child was bonding with her adoptive family.
DCF doesn't seem to consider any of that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marie93
Back