A TV Network for The Missing/Found Unknown-Merged

I have sent an email direct to the producer asking how we can increase market share for these show and better the air time in the current markets. I will post his repsonse here.

From the producer:

"Hi Kelly,

Calls and letters from viewers to the Program Director or General Manager of a station asking them to carry or to improve the time period of "Missing" can be very, very effective--the more letters, the better! Getting a local business interested in sponsoring the program is a great way to help get "Missing" on the air in a decent time period. Car dealerships are the lifeblood of local station advertising, so any connections there can be a big help. The bottom line to every Program Director is ratings, so getting as many people as possible to watch the show on a regular basis is a real help.

This is the time of year when stations are working on their schedules for next fall, so letters and petitions would be most effective over the next month or so.

Hope this is helpful. Any efforts on behalf of the show are most appreciated!

Kind regards,

Larry"

I may not be posting in the right place, but this forum looked the most likely for this question even though it's more of a vent than a question.

We have all kinds of channels and networks on our cable system......Golfing, Food Network, about 4 sports channels, 3 shopping networks, the list goes on.

Why, oh why is there not a cable channel or network devoted to spotlighting the stories and cases of the missing and unidentified in America? No, it wouldn't be a rollicking good time like the Golf channel, but it would bring so much more attention to missing/unidentified persons cases, and would probably help in closing cases (and bring much needed closure to families, most of all).

I wonder if CourtTV would ever consider having a spinoff channel like this?

Lisa

I know what you mean. Most of those channels are moneymakers. You would think by now there would be a channel for missing children/people though. Not just one that flashes their picture on the screen but one that told a little about each case...make it interesting and something that people would remember. It's like on here...we read a little about each person and a lot of the time we feel like we have come to know them and they become important to us. They need to do this during the day time and early evening when people would watch...not in the middle of the night.

I don't understand why each channel at the end of each hour don't show a picture of a missing child and tell a little about them. It would take a few minutes per hour. It really could help find some of these missing people/kids.
One of these days I'm going to find the email address for some of the channels/shows and ask why they can't do that. Think of the good they could do.

Bobbisangel, I have the emails of the channels in a folder. I am away for a bit.......but as soon as I can I'll send some over to you........because that is
a wonderful idea. I'll make you up a list. Sunday

Sundayrain said:
Bobbisangel, I have the emails of the channels in a folder. I am away for a bit.......but as soon as I can I'll send some over to you........because that is
a wonderful idea. I'll make you up a list. Sunday

Great idea Sunday and thanks so much. I look forward to getting the info. It just makes so much sense to me and it would take such a small amount of time. Bobbi

I think this would be a great way to bring the missing persons to the forefront. Our local school district even has televisions in every classroom- getting the information to the people who see many, many kids via cable television could help recover missing persons. Also, many restuarants and bars have televisions on throughout the day, the potential of such a channel seems endless! Even in homes where they do not have internet access, they most likely have a television... it seems very feasable! I would wonder if finding sponsors for such a channel would be difficult? One would think that many corporations would be happy to contribute to such a good cause...

How are Public Broadcast Stations funded? I know they get private donations, and also corporate sponsorships (derail: I hadn't watched children's programming on PBS for years, and was surprised to see that they now have "commercials" between programs)....do they get any government funding?

If so, I could almost envision something similar working for a "missing channel". I could also see companies/corporations that deal with children's "stuff" (Mattel, McDonald's, that kind of thing) being willing sponsors...

I do think the Public Broadcasting Stations are run basically on donations from the private sector and through corporate sponsorships. (I am not an expert, just thinking back to when the kids would watch shows on PBS and would see fund drives).

I am wondering if contacting television networks AND/OR cable television and sattelite providers would be the best ways to go? Does anyone have any experience in this field or have ideas of how or who to approach first?

Television is an awesome tool for getting information out there (as is the internet) and I think the idea has a lot of merit...!

christine2448 said:
I had started a thread on this awhile back, I believe when I was preggers and it just died out. Had done some research, still think about the possibilities, just don't know where to start.

I emailed TONS of people, networks, talk show hosts, with the idea, no responses :(

Here is a link to the older thread on this subject

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26445&highlight=Network
Thanks for posting the link Christine... I will begin reading back today!

I wanted to bump this thread....I have not forgotten about this, been still working and talking with people over the time since posted last on this thread...seems, we may have something going...waiting to see exactly what. Word is someone is interested...that's all I know. It may not happen....it may happen. I am still working on it, just wanted everyone to know.

I sent my emails for today :) I am going to post a bulletin on myspace, asking others to do the same. Maybe with enough of us showing interest, it will speed things up considerably.

Oh, wow, thanks for bumping this up! I've seen this idea come up in a couple other threads (even suggested it myself once!) - good to see it has its own thread :D

I would love to see a channel like this! I'm willing to send off letters, as long as I know what to say and whom to send them to! Let me know what I can do to help :)

my goal is to get the SurferQuest Internet Kiosk in a lot of public places like Rest Areas. We are working with a couple now and on the 18th we have a Press Conference of displaying the Missing Children in the NH rest areas. 2 more states on the East Coast are interested as well and hopefully will follow shortly afterwards.

The ATM is a different technology with some of the same features, like digital signage. This feature can be utilized, very easily in my view, for displaying the Missing Children.

Ron

I really love these ideas! Ron, are you still reading the posts here? I read that SurferQuest is based in PA - I'm going to be visiting PA soon and would love to see one of these kiosks in person. Hope SurferQuest continues to expand on these ideas :)

August 1, 2007 –The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children® (NCMEC) today announced a new tool for engaging the public in their search for missing children. “Missing Kid Saver” is a screensaver that will use idle computer power to display important images and information about missing children. The software is an opt-in service and is available for free download at http://www.missingkidsaver.com. Global Software Applications (GSA), a private software company based in Philipsburg, PA, developed the software.

[snip]

About Global Software Applications (GSA)
GSA, a privately held company based in Philipsburg, Pennsylvania, creates business center computer software (Internet Kiosk software) distributed by its dba SurferQuest. The company further specializes in custom-made software for Self-Service systems, Wayfinder and other dedicated applications.

Halfway into 2005, Global Software Applications/ SurferQuest introduced an interactive real-time publication of missing child photos on their public computers in hotels, resorts and internet cafes and was referred to by the Associated Press as “Modern Day Milk Cartons.”

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/NewsEventServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=3315

CBS airs a program called "Missing." It's airing tonight (Saturday, 10/27) at 7 pm. It's a half hour program that shows recent and cold cases of missing adults and children.

CBS airs a program called "Missing." It's airing tonight (Saturday, 10/27) at 7 pm. It's a half hour program that shows recent and cold cases of missing adults and children.

Is that this one?
http://www.usamissing.com/

Thanks for mentioning that! Anna Waters will be featured on there the week of November 5 (I read about it in her forum). The program is syndicated, so everyone will need to check their local listings to find out the time and channel :)

Is that this one?
http://www.usamissing.com/

Thanks for mentioning that! Anna Waters will be featured on there the week of November 5 (I read about it in her forum). The program is syndicated, so everyone will need to check their local listings to find out the time and channel :)

Yes that's the one! I'm going to miss it tonight due to a wedding reception I'm attending. I'll recored it tho. I watch that show usually every time it's on, which is usually Saturday's and Sundays. It's not on the same time every week so you really have to study the tv guide. Again it's called "Missing."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back