Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #21

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkpink

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here and remember that the following Order has been issued in relation to these current live proceedings:

By using this site you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions. The Court Security Act 2005 restricts the use of recording devices, and the unauthorised transmission/distribution of court proceedings/recordings. Restrictions may apply under the Coroners Act 2009. Breaches of Court Security Act 2005 and the Coroners Act 2009 may constitute a criminal offence. Failing to comply with a Court’s order may constitute the offence of contempt of court.

ADMIN REMINDERS:

Threads are case specific. If your post is not about the case, it is off topic. Do not discuss other members, removed posts, or WS moderation. Everyone is here to discuss the case, not critique other members or criticize WS volunteer staff. Such posts are off topic and will be removed and there may be Warning Points issued or possible temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges..

ALL images require a link to the source. No link, no post !!

Just because someone has the same name does not mean they are the same person. Do not post information about anyone unless you are 110% sure it is the intended person.

Pay special attention to the Copyright rules which are actually copyright LAW. Breach of copyright is one thing that can have legal consequences for both Websleuths and members.

As our much loved Admin, bessie used to say (and it's in The Rules):

Realize that a lot goes on behind the scenes. If you are thinking to yourself "Those moderators are either total idiots or they know something I do not", it's safe to assume we know something you do not.

ALL Websleuths rules are linked in my signature. Please read them, and read them again. If you still have a question, jump off any post with the Report button to ask and a Mod or Admin will get back to when they are able to. Do NOT ask such questions on the public threads.

Thank you.

Can anyone with a subscription perhaps post the text, or a summary?

Coroner calls in expert: was Ric Blum's lover Marion Barter poisoned? | The Australian

Members may link to a paywalled article so that others who wish to pay for the article can read it. However, even if they have paid for it, members can not copy/paste, quote directly, or disseminate any content within the article. It is not only a violation of Websleuths TOS (aka The Rules), it is a violation of copyright law.

Members may very briefly paraphrase (in their own words) what the article is about or they can copy the Google hit summary to give an idea of what the article contains in the event people wish to pay for the article.

@CuriousKat99, @MrPickles, @mishy66 thanks for feedback. I’ll correct. I thought it was stated Marion made her first withdrawal long after her supposed return but couldn’t remember where. The Guardian said Marion withdrew right away. So which is it and that seems a huge difference. If Marion planned to stay 8 days in Australia but waited 13 days to start withdrawing money then something is very wrong, and I have a hard time imagining a scenario to explain that.

@CuriousKat99, @MrPickles, @mishy66 thanks for feedback. I’ll correct. I thought it was stated Marion made her first withdrawal long after her supposed return but couldn’t remember where. The Guardian said Marion withdrew right away. So which is it and that seems a huge difference. If Marion planned to stay 8 days in Australia but waited 13 days to start withdrawing money then something is very wrong, and I have a hard time imagining a scenario to explain that.

Yes, it’s very disturbing - including the triangle of - Brisbane, Grafton, BB. Brisbane to Grafton is over 4 hours drive, but Grafton is on the way to Nymboida (last stop 30 minutes before) where JO claims AKA had acreage with red gums. Fact or fiction? Who knows!
Grafton back to BB is nearly 2 hours drive.

Yes, it’s very disturbing - including the triangle of - Brisbane, Grafton, BB. Brisbane to Grafton is over 4 hours drive, but Grafton is on the way to Nymboida (last stop 30 minutes before) where JO claims AKA had acreage with red gums. Fact or fiction? Who knows!
Wow! I had no idea of the geography of it all ! So, soooo suspicious - as if it couldn't get even more so.

Wow! I had no idea of the geography of it all ! So, soooo suspicious - as if it couldn't get even more so.

Yes, the distance and triangulation always struck me as very strange. Obviously it could’ve been someone else using MB’s Medicare Card as a false lead. So much we don’t know.

The mention of land at Nymboida to JO is quite chilling IMO - So close to Grafton.

What went on between MB’s return on the 2nd of August through to the first withdrawal on the 15th? Was MB sick? If only the Novotel still had check in and check out records.

As a further note: Grafton to Armidale (A crime stopper’s caller claimed MB was buried in Armidale) is 2 hours 40 minutes drive. You drive through Nymboida to get to Armidale. Just thought I’d mention it.

Last edited:
Yes thats the problem with media translating facts. Which is why many people have various time lines. Disappointing!
But if you stick with SL and the inquest/ podcast instead of the papers, it is usually accurate

Love the visual!

Last edited:
@MrsEmmaPeel
This is what I have from the podcast/ FB page / inquest over the yrs.

After arriving at Brisbane Airport 2nd August Marion would have completed her eight day stay at the Novotel on the 10th of August, the day before the car was bought by AH. The car salesman confirmed he sold the Mitsubishi to AH on 11th August.

7 August RACQ insurance cancelled - by phone

13 AUGUST – MB MEDICARE CARD USED AT GRAFTON

18 AUGUST - WITHDRAWALS AT BYRON BAY BANK - BB police never investigated the CBA dealings

$5000 - withdrawn daily for 3.5 weeks at Commonwealth Byron, and 3 days in middle at Burleigh Heads totaling between $85k to $120k

21 September - AH doesnt turn up to do his job at the swim meet

15 OCTOBER - 80K final withdrawal at Ashmore - Marion's account where the house payment went into.

So lots of trips between Grafton, bank Byron, then Bank at Burleigh Heads, then back to Byron, then to Colonial Bank at Ashmore for someone who had no access to a car when she supposedly left the Novotel on the 10th August.

20 OCTOBER 1997 - SL reports Marion as a missing person at BB police station.

I see the action radiating out from Wollongbar. And don't forget there were bank withdrawals from Burleigh Heads as well as Byron Bay.

I have wondered if there was a deliberate attempt to have various proof of life events (Brisbane, Grafton, Byron and Burleigh Heads) as a way of creating confusion and making it look like Marion was moving around the region rather than based in one location? This might have worked, had not Joni located the FNR lonely hearts ad, which then led to the police identifying AKA. JMO

A
I see the action radiating out from Wollongbar. And don't forget there were bank withdrawals from Burleigh Heads as well as Byron Bay.

I have wondered if there was a deliberate attempt to have various proof of life events (Brisbane, Grafton, Byron and Burleigh Heads) as a way of creating confusion and making it look like Marion was moving around the region rather than based in one location? This might have worked, had not Joni located the FNR lonely hearts ad, which then led to the police identifying AKA. JMO
Agree!

No one was ever supposed to find that connection to AH.

His complete unraveling!

IF that had not been found, Sally probably would never have known he was involved with the disappearance of Marion.

JMO of course

Can and does he swim? Why would he “take over swim coaching of his daughter” - what experience would he have had with that? Or is it just another lot of his “I can do anything” BS. He seemed to be VERY involved in the sport and had enough knowledge to be somewhat respected in it. Just another link to water.
No idea, but searching in Belgian sites/info theres a Wouters in the Antwerp ‘Gendarmerie’ (‘rijkswacht’ in Dutch) in 1960 in the swimteam. There’s a picture of the team. Can’t in- or exclude it beïng him based on the picture.

Not an approved source, but you can all Google

‘Zwemploeg 2Mob Gp ANTWERPEN’ 1960

Jo said, Red Cedar not red gum I thought Blum might have a friend in that Grafton area with Red Cedar. The other thought was he bought shares in Cedar plantations.
The other connection was that his family members bought brand new properties in Cedar Crescent, East Ballina

Yes Wollongbar!!

MOO there was an altercation at Wollongbar between Thursday 14th August and Sunday 17th August 1997 (thank you @mishy66 for the summary). Someone saw MB at Wollongbar and AH knows it and that’s why he’s saying the crap about the pilot and tea chests.

Jo said, Red Cedar not red gum I thought Blum might have a friend in that Grafton area with Red Cedar. The other thought was he bought shares in Cedar plantations.
The other connection was that his family members bought brand new properties in Cedar Crescent, East Ballina
Yes Cedar Cresent is my thoughts too. Along with him reading NY book. He gets so much of his BS from books as we've seen.

Yes. A lot of miles getting racked up! And the fact NO ONE that knew Marion saw her in Burleigh or Ashmore. A woman who (from AKA) wanted nothing to do with her family anymore - Who could’ve withdrawn her funds in Brisbane. Why return to the Gold Coast at all? It wasn’t MB, IMO.

I mentioned the Crime Stoppers call earlier - Re: MB being buried in Armidale, NSW. Here’s a snippet from SL. It makes me so sad reading this. Talk about reeking foul!

IMG_8559.jpeg

Yes Wollongbar!!

MOO there was an altercation at Wollongbar between Thursday 14th August and Sunday 17th August 1997 (thank you @mishy66 for the summary). Someone saw MB at Wollongbar and AH knows it and that’s why he’s saying the crap about the pilot and tea chests.
I wonder if there was a disturbance and the police were called, or a scream was reported. Or the neighbours saw something.
Wollongbar. !!!
Or Ballina, Byron Bay area.
Someone must remember something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads