Australia - Suspected Serial Killer Now Believed Responsible For Three Unsolved Sa Murders

MRichards

On Time Out
Reaction score
Suspected serial killer now believed responsible for three unsolved SA murders

South Australia
BY EUGENE BOISVERT, STAFFUPDATED YESTERDAY AT 1:38PM Tues 28 May

Police have revealed a suspected serial killer believed to be responsible for the murders of three people in South Australia lived close to each of them when they were killed, and is currently living freely in Victoria.

Suspected serial killer now believed responsible for three unsolved SA murders - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The suspect has gone public. (From Thursday):

A VICTORIAN man who is the prime suspect in three separate cold-case murders in South Australia says he is innocent.

Steven Hainsworth, who now lives in Mildura, has admitted detectives have linked him to the murders of two grandmothers and a pensioner over a 13-year period through new forensic evidence, but has denied killing anyone.

“I’ve been told I’m a suspect in the crime, but I haven’t done anything. Nothing. I’m not a serial killer. I haven’t killed no one. I’ve had fights in my life and I’ve got hurt, as you can see now. I’m not responsible for no one’s murder,” Mr Hainsworth told the Nine Network this morning.

Steven Hainsworth swears he is not a murderer

7 News Adelaide

Victims:

9811614-3x2-340x227.jpg

Phyllis Harrison, 71
1988. Elizabeth South. Steven Hainsworth's next door neighbour.

2288880-3x2-340x227.jpg

Beverly Hanley, 69

2010. Elizabeth North. Steven Hainsworth's aunt.

3650806-3x4-340x453.jpg

Steve Newton, 55

2011. Mount Gambier. Steven Hainsworth was also residing in Mount Gambier at the time of the murder.

ETA: link for pics: How police identified three SA murders as a suspected serial killing

Last edited:
A Victorian man has been charged over the cold case murder of Adelaide grandmother Beverley Hanley. Steven Leslie Hainsworth, 44, was arrested in Melbourne and extradited to Adelaide late on Thursday. Mr Hainsworth was still in the same clothes he was arrested in when he faced the Adelaide Magistrates Court this morning, charged with his aunt's murder.
Victorian man charged with Adelaide grandmother's cold case murder

A 45 year old man has been arrested for Phyllis Harrison's murder. Given that Steven Hainsworth was 44 last year when he was arrested for Beverley Hanley's murder, I would say it is likely him...

Arrest made over 1998 cold case murder of Adelaide grandmother

The children of a woman allegedly murdered in her Adelaide home more than two decades ago say they are relieved an arrest has been made.

The body of Phyllis Harrison, 71, was discovered with multiple stab wounds at her Elizabeth South home in March 1998.

The case has been unsolved for more than 22 years but police today arrested and charged a 45-year-old man.

April 22 2024
1713790326151.png
Steven Leslie Hainsworth is accused of murdering three people across South Australia between 1998 and 2011
  • ''In short: The Supreme Court lifted a suppression order on the identity of Victorian man Steven Hainsworth, who is charged with three counts of murder.
  • Mr Hainsworth allegedly murdered Phyllis Harrison in 1998, Beverley Hanley in 2010 and Stephen Newton in 2011.
  • What's next? Mr Hainsworth is due to face a single trial for all three alleged murders in August.
The identity of an accused serial killer charged with three cold case murders in South Australia can be revealed as Steven Leslie Hainsworth.

Mr Hainsworth, from the north-western Victorian town of MIldura, is accused of murdering his aunt, 64-year-old grandmother Beverley Hanley, 71-year-old grandmother Phyllis Harrison and 55-year-old Mount Gambier pensioner Stephen Newton.

Supreme Court Justice Anne Bampton on Monday revoked the suppression order on Mr Hainsworth's identity, allowing him to be revealed as the man charged with each of the three murders for the first time.''
1713790384617.png
Police have previously believed the alleged murders of Phyllis Harrison, Beverley Hanley and Stephen Newton are linked.(SA Police)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unsilent_bob
Back