Netherlands Belgium, Liège, BlkFem, 35-45, in Cointe Park, charred skeletal remains, Aug'19

The buttons look very similar to the Roberto Cavalli logo.

Looking at the images of the buttons again, I can definitely see the connecting piece that would make that H look more like an R in the first image. You can also faintly make out where that top part is missing in the second image. I think you might have a lead here. :)

1684482952493.png1684483103836.png

This is a Roberto Cavalli button on an actual jacket and one of the pictures from this case. You can see the so called 'H' is closed on the upper site, like in the RC logo.

In the reconstruction drawing, and in the image of the fragment of sleeve, the "jacket" looks like it's possibly knitwear. Maybe a cardigan. If it is a Roberto Cavalli design he produced a lot of knitwear cardigans dating back almost 50 years.

The button on the bottom left appears to have "-579" and possibly a few other unreadable numbers or letters on it:

1683864762906-png.421654

Attachments

• 1705780118403.png
    1705780118403.png
    800.5 KB · Views: 1
I've also found a website that sells a button similar to the button the victim had on her vest. The HCC pattern looks the same, but the finish and the edges are different. I'll add the picture because the auction expires in a few days.

That being said, could Azeb Gedefaw be a possible match? Her countries likely visited are Germany and the Netherlands, so Belgium might be a possibility as well, I think. Interpol page for Azeb
I think it's safe to say if she is in the Interpol database there is interaction between them and the main European countries the least. Although Belgium not yet started building a DNA database until 2021 and they have not put all cases in there, I think they have the Interpol yellow notices on their radar.

Anybody knows where HCC stands for? I was hoping this would be in the auction lot, but no.

Rotated the buttons image 180 degrees, looks like Roberto Cavalli, or a knockoff thereof.
buttons180.jpg
Roberto-Cavalli-Logo-500x281.jpg

roberto cavalli logo - Google Search

I've also found a website that sells a button similar to the button the victim had on her vest. The HCC pattern looks the same, but the finish and the edges are different. I'll add the picture because the auction expires in a few days.

That being said, could Azeb Gedefaw be a possible match? Her countries likely visited are Germany and the Netherlands, so Belgium might be a possibility as well, I think. Interpol page for Azeb

When I run the description of this button through Google translate, it says it is a livery button.

If so, the HCC or CHC or CCH (whichever way the initials are meant to read) would include a uniformed person/section that dealt with horses.

Bouton ancien à Monogramme entrelacé "HCC"/ Doré / Bouton de livrée/Fabricant ? / Début XXème siècle

Old button with interlaced monogram "HCC"/Golden/Livery button/Manufacturer? / Early 20th century

Google translate

imo

@anijs6
This morning, I introduced in the Belgian Federal Police system the relation you made of this unknown person with the missing lady, Azab, featured on Interpol's page.

Let's see what comes out of this.
And thank you once more for your info.

The button is still available on the website. No one has bid on it yet. I've been following it for months now. Even asked the owner what the monogram HCC meant. He didn't know but your guess sounds spot on. Then again, now that someone mentioned the Roberto Cavalli monogram, I'm starting to think that's probably what the monogram was.
I think the button is from a cheap knock off. It looks like a tweed marais jacket. Naval jackets/blazers usually have collars and aren't made of tweed. It's most likely a cheap 'fashion jacket',-impractical, with no lining, but looks really expensive. The jackets/blazer can be bought online and at any downtown weekday market in the Benelux, France or Germany. If you don't have the EUR for a jacket/blazer from Zara or H&M, this is what you could buy instead.

I'm not sure about this lady being Azeb, she could be. I think she looks more West African, than East African, though. These sketch artists don't know how to sketch certain faces so they always ends up looking nothing like the person actually did. I'm guessing they lack the information and resources on how to identify this ethnicity of victims. Is 'presumably' African, the same as definitely African? And if so, from which part? Could she be Afro Caribbean, American? Afro Latino or Hispanic?
She doesn't even look the same from the front to the side!

Screenshot 2024-02-20 18573622.png

The eyes, the jaw and, where forehead starts and lips, all look different in both sketches.
Her description says 'very dark complexion'. Is it caramel (light)? Milk chocolate (medium)? Mahogany(dark)?
Is her hair is braided with extensions or is it her natural hair? Is she sporting flat Senegalese twists with a ponytail or are they cornrows in a ponytail? Did they look worn, well maintained, recently done? Maybe a hairstylist, hair salon or whoever does her hair, would recognize her?

I think this lady was French or English speaking West or Central African. There are more of them here in NW Europe than any other group of black sub-Saharan Africans, esp. in France and Belgium. The fact that no one has come forward after 5 years could suggest trafficking or 'sans papiers', or a combination of both.
If I were to guess from the front sketch, I'd say Guinean, Senegalese or Cameroonian origin. But this is just a guess.

Found this AI reimagining of her from AI Witness.

The woman in the park .png

Attachments

• 1708395156240.png
    1708395156240.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 1708395488456.png
    1708395488456.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 5
  • The woman in the park .png
    The woman in the park .png
    362.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: