GUILTY CA - Ana Abulaban, 29, and Rayburn Barron, 28, killed by TikTok'r husband, San Diego, 21 Oct 2021

Ali Abulaban has acted like a wild man previously, yelling in his early courtroom appearance. He's taken on the comical but violent characterizations on TikTok, but now he shows a different side in his attempt to sway the courtroom.

Up on the stand in his own defense, on May 21, 2024, Ali is presenting as a calm, well-spoken, intelligent man. However, the Court TV panels says he's not helping himself, coming across as a DV abuser before the murders, a narcissist, manipulative in his marriage. Some on the panel feel that he's tried to blame the victim, but it has done nothing but paint Ali as the aggressor.

Ali Abulaban on the stand in his own Defense.

https://www.courttv.com/title/julie-grant-abulaban-is-not-jinnkid-hes-likely-a-murdering-/

1716349718749.png
1716349852149.png
JinnKid's TikTok and youtube characters shown in the local news report.

1716349581004.png The CBS8 news video (link below) reports today's courtroom where the Defendant took the stand. Ali Abulaban takes the stand in his defense at the Murder Trial that will decide his fate. He admitted to using Cocaine on a steady basis, and was often high during many of the arguments with his wife Ana. He alleged the fights usually were due to her infidelity within their marriage, or maybe what he thought was infidelity.

There was domestic violence and physical altercations, and Ali admitted to striking Ana before. Jurors also saw video of Abulaban slamming Ana's head into a bed. Another time he said he shoved her and she hit her face on the refrigerator.
1716350609277.png1716350659953.png
1716351398006.png Reason for his discharge from the Air Force was over a physical altercation that involved Ana. He disputed that he actually hit her that time. It resulted in his military discharge.

His childhood, the past, and a lot of the couple's marriage problems were covered today in court with Ali Abulaban taking the stand at his murder trial for killing his wife Ana Abulaban and her friend Rayburn Barron.

MOO, the marriage was breaking apart and they each had or threatened to have affairs and both used jealousy to taunt each other. Both were jealous, both said harsh, hateful things to each other. It escalated and Ali was doing cocaine, often high, during their arguments towards the end. In my opinion, none of this will help in his Defense.

It is expected that Wednesday, tomorrow, they will be covering the time of the murders. Ali Abulaban will be on the stand for cross examination. It is expected that Closing Arguments might be starting after Thursday (5/23/24).

He spent most of Tuesday detailing his rocky relationship with his wife and outlined one incident where he found a conversation between her and a Netflix actor.
[...]
His defense team is arguing that his cocaine addiction and undiagnosed bipolar disorder played significant roles in the shootings, refuting the prosecution's claim that the murders were premeditated.

I watched this too, I have followed it since it happened. it's very sad.

Another local news report from CBS News8 reporting about the first day Ali Abulaban took the stand on 5/21/2024. It's expected he'll continue on the stand testifying in his defense, and for cross examination today. (Wednesday) Abulaban is the defense's last witness. After his testimony wraps up, there will be Closing Arguments, then the jury gets the case by next week.

1716367503547.png

Author: Kelly Hessedal and Steve Price
Updated: 6:22 PM PDT May 21, 2024

The day ended with jurors listening to a 40 minute audio recording of one of Ana and Ali’s last arguments before the murders.

“I treated you like a (profanity) king!” Ana said through tears. “Well, you’re abusing me now,” Ali responded, also crying.

“Ya, because you (profanity) hurt me,” Ana said, getting louder. “You hurt me all the time and you continuously hurt me.”

Abulaban listened to the recording from the witness stand and wiped away tears multiple times.

Abulaban is the defense's last witness. Once his testimony wraps up, there will be closing arguments, then the jury gets the case.​

Court TV is covering other big trials right now. I'm not finding any place that is televising the trial today as Ali Abulaban takes the stand for another day of testifying and cross examination in his defense at his own trial.

It is sad trial. Two young people killed senselessly. There's no going back now on the decision Ali made to do it. MOO, his taking the stand has not helped him one bit. Too much blaming and not enough remorse. It doesn't look hopeful for him to get a lighter sentence.

So many incidents of domestic violence and infidelity in their relationship. It was over, and Ali needed to walk away, but he didn't.

Abulaban faces life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted of all counts and allegations.

1716411185278.png
1716410916592.png
He recorded himself that day as he went into the apt. He had sent Ana roses and they sat on the counter crushed by her open makeup bag. He says he was supposed to leave to go up to LA, but stopped there first. He's listening to himself on the day of the murders as he went to their apt. and texted her. He becomes enraged that Ana is lying to him that she's at their home. She's not there, he is. Ali is becoming enraged at the thought that she's lying and out cheating on him. He expresses everything going on with him. It's coming down to being all about him. He set up a recording device and left to sleep in his hotel room. He heard something on the recording device, a man back in the apt. with Ana. Laughing, both of them, even talking about Ali and laughing about the mess he left in the apt. Ali did an incredible amount of Cocaine at his hotel, and on the way there, more Cocaine than he ever did at one time. Ali is headed back to the apt. and he has a gun.

1716411545547.png

Last edited:
1716413009203.png

I do see a tear. Crying he said he didn't think Ana would really cheat, he felt such betrayal, he couldn't take the overwhelming feelings. In the screenshot, he had just told that he started shooting at Ana and Ray cuddling on the couch. He said he felt outside himself and didn't know after if he really did it.

1716412536333.png

WOW!, what a trial or what testimony anyway. At the end it cuts off before hes finished, Im not sure if thats it but Im gonna hunt for more ...lol
I have to say when I read this story in the press, I never thought this would be the story behind it. What a tragedy.

1716414403928.png

The Live Coverage video cut off abruptly :( and I'm hoping I can find the rest of today's trial. After the shootings Ali did call 911 anonymously thinking maybe they could save Ana or Ray. He also went to his daughter's school to pick her up planning to leave her in family's care. He says he was planning to turn himself in. MOO, he did a fairly good job expressing himself. Did it make a difference with the jurors?

Ali faced a contentious cross-examination that had him asking the judge at one point, “What happens when the question is forcing me to say something specific?” as the prosecutor grilled him on the patterns of violence in his relationships.

The judge had to intervene to calm both sides after a particularly tense exchange when the prosecutor asked about an alleged assault on his mother.

Prosecutor: “Ana saw you slap your mom, right?”
Ali: “She did not see that.”

Prosecutor: “And I can’t ask her right?”
Ali: “That’s not fair.”
Prosecutor: “Because you killed her?”
Ali: “That’s not fair. That’s so inappropriate.”

They're taking a court break. Court TV panel discussing the trial now. Did he come across as credible?

Well I hate to answer this, because if you say anything in defense of people who do stuff like this you get a lot of hate ( lol) I dont know, I like to keep an open mind, to me empathy is not just about understanding someones experiences but understanding them from their shoes (not mine) so Yes, to me, he seemed credible.
It's just unfortunate how life can shape people ( upbringing, adhd meds, addiction, gaslighting). It's too bad it had to escalate to that point and nothing will justify it , but I can see how he got there. They escalated eachother, seems like its typical DV cycle. In the honeymoon phase the abused feels safe enough to lash out at the abuser, wants to hurt them like they've been hurt, pushes things to the edge , risky behaviours that are dangerous, and would likely put them in the line of fire, and then the abuser gets sick of sucking up and snaps. escalating again. trust me Im not trying to victim blame its just the typical DV cycle, Ive seen out over and over and over and over. What do you think?

Last edited:
Well I hate to answer this, because if you say anything in defense of people who do stuff like this you get a lot of hate ( lol) I dont know, I like to keep an open mind, to me empathy is not just about understanding someones experiences but understanding them from their shoes (not mine) so Yes, to me, he seemed credible.
It's just unfortunate how life can shape people ( upbringing, adhd meds, addiction, gaslighting). It's too bad it had to escalate to this point but I can see how he got there. What do you think?
Ali Abulaban does sound credible, and honest, and he's really done well expressing his feelings. He's not shown much remorse really. He was very controlling and abusive in his marriage way before the shootings. He seems to feel justified in everything he's done because Ana made him do it. Lots of victim blaming. The Court TV panel has strong opinions that his testimony will not sway the jurors. They say he's come across as arrogant and narcissistic. We'll see.

As you can see, I've been on WS a long time. I've also watched many, many trials. I always like to record in my posts what is being said, and what is going on within the trial. It's the only way to keep me focused on what is being said. I share the screen shots I can capture too. This leaves a good record of what went on, and even years from now the posts have captured the moment. Sometimes, links stop working, so I like to copy and paste the some of the news articles too.

Please @ttjo, don't worry about the haters. MOO, I wouldn't worry about other people hating on you for having your own opinion. Your posts are fair and not overly judgemental. I enjoy your posts and hearing your opinion. MOO, you can't shut off that hinky feeling when you hear deceptiveness. MOO, it's impossible to not develop and have an opinion. You're not on the Jury, you're allowed to voice your impressions here on WS within the parameters. Please don't feel guilty for forming your own opinion as you follow these cases. If you're wrong you can always eat crow.
h3802.gif
All MOO. Thank You again for sharing this trial experience with me. :)

Oh, @ttjo, this is a local case for me. I live in San Diego, and have for a long time. I used to go to some restaurants close to where the shootings happened, but it's a mess of big apt. bldgs. and no parking now. Unfortunately, I have health limitations or I'd probably try to attend this trial in person. Going downtown is a big hassle though. So glad I got to see some of this trial from home.

There's also the Maya Millete case. Her husband, Larry Millete, is charged with her murder and goes on trial start of next year

LARRY MILLETE Felony Jury Trial scheduled for Jan 6 2025 1:30PM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 16.

well I enjoy reading your posts too. Sure there are, many times I have judgement but I try to be respectful of the people reading, Its not important to me that I convince others of my opinion either. I respect everyone's opinion and I know that everyone has different perspectives based not their experiences. I have always been one to see little tiny things that fly off a baseline, Malcolm Gladwell calls it thin slicing. Sometimes it gets me in trouble. (Im also not a spring chicken and have been around a few blocks)
As terrible as this case turned out to be, I have a tiny bit of empathy for him. court tv may not think it will sway the jurors but it swayed me a little , I did not anticipate his story. I have a little compassion for him ( because of the bigger picture of his life) that wont get him off, but it might help him in some way.

This trial the Abulaban trial, would have been a good one to watch in person, not a boring minute, same with the Larry Millette trial, that will be a good one too. !!

Last edited:
This is interesting--
At the 2:35 mark of the news video it's reported the Judge had to warn someone in the courtroom, a member of the audience, to stop taunting Abulaban. Apparently, a friend of Ana's kept making facial gestures during Abulaban's testimony. The Judge warned, "I will put you in jail if you don't stop".

1716426484085.png From the video of courtroom testimony today. In my own words, Ali was living out of a hotel by then, and sent Ana a video apologizing to her the morning of the shootings. He had sent her groceries, and roses. Her text to him was short, and she claimed to be home. Ali went by the apt. to check, she wasn't there. He got upset and trashed the apt. and threw away her clothes. MOO, surprised that when Ana did go to the apt. she didn't get alarmed enough by that mess.

1716426416706.png

Cross examination got under way Thursday afternoon. Things were testy between Deputy District Attorney Taren Brast and Abulaban. The judge interjected twice, reminding Abulaban, the prosecutor asks the question, you answer.

Closing arguments are expected Friday.

This is interesting--
At the 2:35 mark of the news video it's reported the Judge had to warn someone in the courtroom, a member of the audience, to stop taunting Abulaban. Apparently, a friend of Ana's kept making facial gestures during Abulaban's testimony. The Judge warned, "I will put you in jail if you don't stop".

View attachment 505311 From the video of courtroom testimony today. In my own words, Ali was living out of a hotel by then, and sent Ana a video apologizing to her the morning of the shootings. He had sent her groceries, and roses. Her text to him was short, and she claimed to be home. Ali went by the apt. to check, she wasn't there. He got upset and trashed the apt. and threw away her clothes. MOO, surprised that when Ana did go to the apt. she didn't get alarmed enough by that mess.

View attachment 505310

Cross examination got under way Thursday afternoon. Things were testy between Deputy District Attorney Taren Brast and Abulaban. The judge interjected twice, reminding Abulaban, the prosecutor asks the question, you answer.

Closing arguments are expected Friday.
Wow, see never a dull moment in this trial. So looks like we will be hanging out throughout this trial, I am looking forward to it!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A51V21
Back