CA - Foster parents arrested in connection with murder of Hasanni Campbell - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought Louis Ross sought out John Burris to play the race card and turn it into something it wasn't.

Oakland attorney John Burris, who has been advising Ross and Campbell in recent weeks, said Saturday it was unlikely he would formally represent them; he mainly does civil-rights cases, not criminal defense, and he's not sure who'll end up taking the case. Still, he said, he tried to meet with them Saturday morning but was unsuccessful because they were in transit, perhaps for additional police interviews.
"I just want to let them know what's ahead for them"... what the process looks like in front of them. No more than that," he said.
Burris said it appears investigators' probable cause for arresting Ross and Campbell was because Hasanni was never in the vicinity of the Rockridge shoe store where his foster parents claimed they last saw him Aug. 10; police say the boy actually was last seen Aug. 6 with his foster parents near a Walmart store in Fremont."It means to me that this is more of an effort, seemingly, to build a circumstantial-evidence-type case and eventually get one or more of them to turn state's evidence if they have any evidence, and I don't know that they do," Burris said. "I'm not surprised at that strategy." more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/sea...contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com

You are probably right.

I wish Burris would shut up.

Interesting!!! :eek:

Neighbors Nonplussed By Arrests
Posted: Sunday, 30 August 2009 2:35PM
<snipped>
Prosecutors in Alameda County Sunday worked to build a case against a Fremont couple suspected in the death of their missing foster child.
While investigators combed the Fremont home where Louis Ross and his fiance, Jennifer Campbell, live, those who work and live nearby told KCBS they weren't at all surprised when the couple was arrested Friday on suspicion of murdering the child.

Maja Ruznic works next door to the shoe store and was in the driveway with the couple moments after they said Hasanni vanished. She said their story never made any sense to her.

"From the very beginning I had a feeling that the kid was not in the car," said Ruznic.

The county prosecutor in charge of North Oakland was out investigating around the Rockridge shoe store driveway where Louis Ross says his 5-year-old foster son Hasanni Campbell disappeared three weeks ago. The DA has until the end of the day Tuesday to file charges against Ross, who was arrested Friday on suspicion of murdering the boy. Jennifer Campbell was arrested on suspicion of being an accessory.

So far, police have not found any evidence that the boy was in the car, nor have they found his body. If they can't get one of the couple to confess, or develop enough other hard evidence by Tuesday, they would have to release Ross and Campbell while the investigation goes on.

AUDIO: KCBS’ Doug Sovern Reports
http://www.kcbs.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3985892

Article:
http://www.kcbs.com/Neighbors-Nonplussed-By-Arrests/5110074

:angel:

<snipped>
Prosecutors in Alameda County Sunday worked to build a case against a Fremont couple suspected in the death of their missing foster child.
While investigators combed the Fremont home where Louis Ross and his fiance, Jennifer Campbell, live, those who work and live nearby told KCBS they weren't at all surprised when the couple was arrested Friday on suspicion of murdering the child.

Maja Ruznic works next door to the shoe store and was in the driveway with the couple moments after they said Hasanni vanished. She said their story never made any sense to her.

"From the very beginning I had a feeling that the kid was not in the car," said Ruznic.

The county prosecutor in charge of North Oakland was out investigating around the Rockridge shoe store driveway where Louis Ross says his 5-year-old foster son Hasanni Campbell disappeared three weeks ago. The DA has until the end of the day Tuesday to file charges against Ross, who was arrested Friday on suspicion of murdering the boy. Jennifer Campbell was arrested on suspicion of being an accessory.

So far, police have not found any evidence that the boy was in the car, nor have they found his body. If they can't get one of the couple to confess, or develop enough other hard evidence by Tuesday, they would have to release Ross and Campbell while the investigation goes on.

Article:

Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, just what we all wanted the account of someone who was there and saw thier actions while the "story" a.k.a. lie was being woven. Thank-you,

<snipped>

So far, police have not found any evidence that the boy was in the car, nor have they found his body. If they can't get one of the couple to confess, or
develop enough other hard evidence by
Tuesday, they would have to release Ross and Campbell while the investigation goes on.

Article:

colored red by me.

I wish the reporter wouldn't say that. I wonder what the judge will consider to be "hard evidence"--hard enough to keep these two in jail?

colored red by me.

I wish the reporter wouldn't say that. I wonder what the judge will consider to be "hard evidence"--hard enough to keep these two in jail?
So LE would arrest both of them without any evidence only the hope that one of them would talk??? :eek:

Aw, man, it's SO hard to keep up with you guys! You're all doing a fabulous job, and I'm just trailing behind catching up! :) There's such a wealth of great info here, and with the dedication of all the posters (esp Angel Who Cares and the local guys like ForensicsFan & Columbo) I'm sure the case will be cracked eventually. If only Hasanni can be found and then his foster parents can be stuck in jail for ever!

http://www.ktvu.com/video/20624387/index.html

Around 1:36 I see footage (spoken over) of JC and LR being interviewed. I haven't seen the interview it's from. Anyone have a link?

Also, I'm wondering what the "volunteer search" effort entails. Around here they seemed to just pass out flyers, so perhaps that's the effort in Monterey too? I'm just wondering if the volunteers are traveling open space, coastline, etc. or merely spreading the word.

My oldest son is Military, stationed in Monterey. I will give him a call right now and see if he has heard anything.

FYI: I started a 2009.08.30 Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE *** thread for Hasanni for today. I'll make sure a new thread is started everyday for Hasanni's sub-forum! This will make it easy for everyone to check quickly for the latest news of the day for discussion in the threads! :winko:

Yeah!!! A sub-forum for Hasanni...I knew our little guy deserved extra special attention at least from all of us.

I usually start the Current News thread for Caylee, it is easy for me to pop over here to start Hasanni's at the same time.

If an article isn't posted in it yet....PLEASE make sure you add it to the daily thread.

*NOTE: Remember this is a NO discussion thread. It is for any new current media released for the day only...all articles will be added to the main media thread for future reference for everyone too!

Here's the link to it for today:
2009.08.30 Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE ***
2009.08.30 Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE *** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

From the above article:

"The apartment the couple shared was searched Friday as well."

AND
"Ross' and Campbell's attorney said he was surprised by the arrest, as were many of their friends and supporters."

I wish these journalists (and I use that term loosely) :rolleyes: would quit putting out incorrect information. The couple lived in a house, not an apartment...and Burris is not yet their attorney. Seems to be alot of sloppy reporting these days.

So LE would arrest both of them without any evidence only the hope that one of them would talk??? :eek:

I don't think so--do you? They couldn't take such a big chance. It could jeopardize the whole case!

BTW--does either one of them have an attorney? Would they would be undergoing all this questioning without legal counsel present?

From the above article:

"The apartment the couple shared was searched Friday as well."

AND
"Ross' and Campbell's attorney said he was surprised by the arrest, as were many of their friends and supporters."

I wish these journalists (and I use that term loosely) :rolleyes: would quit putting out incorrect information. The couple lived in a house, not an apartment...and Burris is not yet their attorney. Seems to be alot of sloppy reporting these days.

colored red by me.

How many friends and supporters do they actually have?!! Let's see: grandma PC, sisters, and ??? Even Hasanni's godmother was caught on tape saying that she thought LR's story was fishy --the very first day or two after the "disappearance".
I agree about the journalists. Why are they so sloppy?

I don't think so--do you? They couldn't take such a big chance. It could jeopardize the whole case!

BTW--does either one of them have an attorney? Would they would be undergoing all this questioning without legal counsel present?
No I don't, Columbo! I believe it was something JC already told LE while they were questioning her before the arrests that led them to make the arrests. They don't just go out and do this because they feel like it knowing there has to be enough for the DA to file charges. If these two are still talking to LE without an attorney, I'm surprised. Unless it's JC talking and giving him up ~ I hope! MOO

No I don't, Columbo! I believe it was something JC already told LE while they were questioning her before the arrests that led them to make the arrests. They don't just go out and do this because they feel like it knowing there has to be enough for the DA to file charges. If these two are still talking to LE without an attorney, I'm surprised. Unless it's JC talking and giving him up ~ I hope! MOO

bolded by me.

Thanks, panthera.
Re the bolded part, it occurred to me later, if LR was "canny" enough to contact Burris himself early on, then I can't imagine he is answering questions w/o a lawyer there! I wonder if they have a public defender?

I'll start a Show Transcripts and Show Videos - NO DISCUSSION! thread for all of PattyG's videos as well as any others that are posted & for all future ones. How does that sound everyone?

In the Official Documents thread that was started can you change the title to say Official Documents-Audio-Arrest Updates No Discussion??? That is what it is named in all other sub-forums....& add any past/future hearings, news conferences, motions, transcripts, POI jail info etc. for easy reference!

I was going to suggest an image thread...but I already noticed that WhyaDuck already started one for images! :winko:

I'll just go ahead & start the "Show Transcripts and Show Videos - ***NO DISCUSSION*** thread & locate the videos that PattyG posted as well as any others in it! :yes:

LadyBugSTL You're right it's my wings that enable me to fly around jumping threads here at WS's....:floorlaugh:

I have a method to my madness of doing this....lot's of tabs open...many folders in my favorites all organized for quick access for me.....staying organized at all times....I do make some mistakes sometimes posting media in the wrong thread....mostly in the Haleigh & Haylee threads...obvious why! :biggrin:

Off to start the Show Transcript & Show Video thread for everyone!

bolded by me.

Thanks, panthera.
Re the bolded part, it occurred to me later, if LR was "canny" enough to contact Burris himself early on, then I can't imagine he is answering questions w/o a lawyer there! I wonder if they have a public defender?
First of all, and maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see LR sitting in the interrogation room and confessing anything to LE. I'd imagine whatever he's told them is the same story he has from the beginning, with some variations since if it isn't true it would change. I would think when they are arraigned a PD would be assigned to them if they don't already have a lawyer. At least Burris doesn't seem to be jumping in there for his 15 min. of fame ~ thankfully!! :) MOO

First of all, and maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see LR sitting in the interrogation room and confessing anything to LE. I'd imagine whatever he's told them is the same story he has from the beginning, with some variations since if it isn't true it would change. I would think when they are arraigned a PD would be assigned to them if they don't already have a lawyer. At least Burris doesn't seem to be jumping in there for his 15 min. of fame ~ thankfully!! :) MOO

If Jennifer confesses, I wonder where that puts LR. I guess he just has to keep denying and making up stories.
I hope Burris will stay out.

I'll start a Show Transcripts and Show Videos - NO DISCUSSION! thread for all of PattyG's videos as well as any others that are posted & for all future ones. How does that sound everyone?

In the Official Documents thread that was started can you change the title to say Official Documents-Audio-Arrest Updates No Discussion??? That is what it is named in all other sub-forums....& add any past/future hearings, news conferences, motions, transcripts, POI jail info etc. for easy reference!

I was going to suggest animage thread...but I already noticed that WhyaDuck already started one for images! :winko:

I'll just go ahead & start the "Show Transcripts and Show Videos - ***NO DISCUSSION*** thread & locate the videos that PattyG posted as well as any others in ti! :yes:

I changed the title of the off. docs. thread. Thanks, AWC!! :blowkiss:

Surely, a normal adult does not take on the responsibility of care& nurturing of someone else's child, only to kill them(this is being termed a homicide)?? I do not think there is any monetary gain from a dead child for foster parents . There are lot of negative consequences!!!! Something is not quite adding up? Unless my thinking is extremely naive. Do you think he really left that child at Bart? OR do you think the child did have an accidental death & they are afraid to tell the truth.? It is a mystery with unpleasant vibes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat