CA CA - Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murders, 7 girls/young women, 1972-1973

Perhaps because she was found clothed, not raped, and her belongings were nearby? Doesn’t seem to match the MO of the canonical murders.

Perhaps because she was found clothed, not raped, and her belongings were nearby? Doesn’t seem to match the MO of the canonical murders.
I think in some of the SRHMs that rape could not be determined. Seems what links the SRHMs is the dumping grounds.

What is interesting is that Eureka appears in the Zodiac case.

That link is jaw-dropping for the sheer number of ifs, could haves, might haves, possiblys, etc, it contains. So your argument is that because the Zodiac ‘might have’ contrived to send a letter from Eureka in 1990, and because Susan Dye ‘might have’ (see clipping above) been in Eureka in 1975….that, what, she ‘might have’ been killed by the Zodiac?

This adds nothing to the conversation about the Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murders, Susan Dye’s murder, or the Zodiac, for that matter.

That link is jaw-dropping for the sheer number of ifs, could haves, might haves, possiblys, etc, it contains. So your argument is that because the Zodiac ‘might have’ contrived to send a letter from Eureka in 1990, and because Susan Dye ‘might have’ (see clipping above) been in Eureka in 1975….that, what, she ‘might have’ been killed by the Zodiac?

This adds nothing to the conversation about the Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murders, Susan Dye’s murder, or the Zodiac, for that matter.

I prefer detective work and leave lawyering to lawyers.

Zodiac investigators cleared the owner of the PO BOX for the keys Xeroxed in the Eureka mailing attachment. So they took it seriously enough as a Zodiac communication. I will also since they did.

A possible link between the Zodiac and the SRHMs is as old as the SRHMs which is evident from reading newspaper reports at the time. You might not like that but it's a historical part of the case and I have read nothing that has formally dismissed it.

Since Susan Dye is still unsolved, someone brought up the question elsewhere and I decided to ask here. BTW, the article didn't say she has been eliminated as an SRHM candidate, only that they couldn't find a connection.

Nothing wrong with pointing out that Susan Dye is possibly associated with Eureka and we have associations with there and the Zodiac case.

Last edited:
Note that the article mentions also a Miss Janet Lee Bowman, age 19, went missing on 30 September two weeks before Susan Lori Dye went missing. Janet's body was found on 6 October.

It was believed that Janet had also been picked up while hitch hiking near Eureka and was strangled.

Janet Lee Bowman - cold case

Janet Lee Bowman

LINK:

Last edited:
Well, it is interesting that Highway 101 runs through: Cloverdale, Humboldt State University, Garberville CA, as well as Crescent City. A known or believed SRHM victim Caroline Davis was from Garberville.

It is at the least worth some investigation.

One more thing: I just learned that Janet Lee Bowman graduated high school from Rancho Cotati High School in Rohnert Park CA. If Cotati sounds familiar its because it is the last place Jeanette kamahele was last seen attempting to hitchhike on Highway 101. Rancho Cotati HIgh School is about 4 blocks from Sonoma State University.

It just seems very coincidental...

One more thing: I just learned that Janet Lee Bowman graduated high school from Rancho Cotati High School in Rohnert Park CA. If Cotati sounds familiar its because it is the last place Jeanette kamahele was last seen attempting to hitchhike on Highway 101. Rancho Cotati HIgh School is about 4 blocks from Sonoma State University.

It just seems very coincidental...
An anonymous letter was sent on that one directing investigators to her body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this has been mentioned before. I find it interesting that Ted Bundy used the moniker Officer Roseland. Roseland is an area of Santa Rosa. His use of Officer Roseland was documented to occur on November 8th, 1974 in Utah when he pretended to be a cop to lure Carol DaRonch into a mall parking lot. It’s obviously a made up name. Sick inside joke with himself?
I know some Roselands. Maybe he did too.

68 Year old Tony Garcia arrested for the murder of two young women in ventura County in 1981:
Could have implications for Topanga Canyon Jane Doe. Doesn't seem like a likely connection to Santa Rosa.
Edit: one victim was found in a carport, the other was in the bathtub in her own residence. Not really a match for Topanga Canyons outdoor down the ravine disposal. There are pics of Garcia online if you search his name.

Last edited:
The suspect, Lance Jeffrey Voss, in the Lewis-Clark Valley Serial murders lived in the Bay area at the times of these murders. The FBI according to sources on the web added to the list of victims - Rosa Vasquez, Yvonne Quilantang, Angela Thomas, Nancy Patricia Gidley, Laura O'Dell (these victims were found within 4 miles of an address that Voss can be tied to) and Nancy Feusi, Brenda Kaye Merchant and Donna M. Braun. Voss moved to Idaho, but he continued to have ties to the California bay area until the mid 80's.
what address is tied to Voss in SF? All I have found is a phone number

I need some help in narrowing down which victims could be connected to each other. Here I have attached a map I made up with pins of women who could possibly be connected to each other.

There was a killer back in the 70s and early 80s called The Hitchiker Killer, I call him the Bad Samaritan. He's confirmed to be connected to eight cases, but I've done research that he might be connected to at least thirty five. But I would like some help in narrowing down which victim could be connected along with the already confirmed eight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukeyboy43
Back