CO CO - Adams Co, South Platte River @ 104th Ave, BlkMale 55-65, UP14571, mummified, blue fluid filled filament in chest cavity, Mar'00

YaYa_521

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
*NO PHOTOS*

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
CASE NUMBER - 3008UMCO

3008UMCO - Unidentified Male​

Date of Discovery: March 14, 2000
Location of Discovery: Adams County, Colorado
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Mummified
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description​

Estimated Age: 55-65 years old
Race: Black/African American
Height: 6'0", Estimated
Weight: Cannot Estimate
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers​

Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery​

Decedent found at 104th Avenue near the South Platte River. Blue fluid-filled filament found in chest cavity.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Adams County Coroners Office
Agency Contact Person: Monica Broncucia-Jordan
Agency Phone Number: 303-659-1027
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: A00-423

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 14571

Information Source(s)​

Namus

Admin Notes​

Added: 8/6/17; Last Updated: 8/6/17

I found several cases of decedents found in the river near 104th Ave (some in cars that had missed a stop sign and gone into the river) but nothing about mummified remains or blue filaments.

What exactly is this blue filament thing?
I'm presuming it's something medical? But what? How does it work and what is it for?

The 'blue filament' thing is so odd. What do they mean by 'filament'?? Does it look more electronic or medical? Was the chest cavity open i.e. could trash from the river have just lodged in there? Or was it clearly something retained within the body? Did the 'fluid' look like river water or was it more than that?

The 'blue filament' thing is so odd. What do they mean by 'filament'?? Does it look more electronic or medical? Was the chest cavity open i.e. could trash from the river have just lodged in there? Or was it clearly something retained within the body? Did the 'fluid' look like river water or was it more than that?
I was thinking they perhaps found it inside him when they did the post-mortem/autopsy...?

When I think of 'filaments' I think of those thin pieces of wire in lightbulbs. That's my only reference point with the word.

I can't find a thing about it. I thought maybe some sort of drain for fluid on the lungs, but I would have thought that would be bigger than a filament.

Some ~possibilities~ of common filament-like medical equipment with a lumen within the thoracic/abdominal cavity:
-indwelling peritoneal catheter: kept in the abdomen to drain ascites (i.e. due to liver failure). A possibility imo if this guy was a transient and might have had problems with alcohol that led to cirrhosis.
1658280042103.png
-ventriculoperitoneal shunt: a long-term solution to hydrocephalus, goes from cranial cavity -> thru the soft tissue of the neck -> empties into the abdomen. no mention on the 'filament' continuing into the cranium, but I'm not entirely sure about it's location/amount of decomp.
1658280414270.png
-central venous catheter (i.e. a 'central line'): permanently placed in the chest (protrudes between the neck to the upper chest) for dialysis due to renal failure, administer larger quantities of fluids, etc. Also a good option imo except the term 'filament' doesn't implicate the external multicolored caps that CVC's have.
1658280646320.png

Attachments

• 1658280230262.png
    1658280230262.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I think the term 'filament' is just poorly chosen here, which is a darn shame because I'm sure if I asked the PD they wouldn't have any info on such an old case. If they really were as thin as an actual electric-type or arts n crafts filament, I don't think they could have been "fluid-filled".

I think the term 'filament' is just poorly chosen here, which is a darn shame because I'm sure if I asked the PD they wouldn't have any info on such an old case. If they really were as thin as an actual electric-type or arts n crafts filament, I don't think they could have been "fluid-filled".

The PD wouldn't but possibly the coroner's office contact listed in the Namus file might have more information?

Thinking along the catheter line... blue lumens (as well as other colors) is described in the link below AND also "filament" is used.

ETA: Videos within the link provide visuals

Lumens
  • blue = right atrial lumen = proximal injectate port -> terminates 30cm from the tip of the catheter lies within the right atrium when the tip of the catheter is in the pulmonary artery. This port can monitor RA pressures (RAP/ CVP) and receive the injectate for cardiac output studies. Can also be used to give fluids and drugs.

Thermodilution catheters for continuous cardiac output measurements -> built in thermal filament that heats the surrounding blood in the right ventricle (RV) and

I had a shunt fitted in 2009 for draining spinal fluid from my brain. This was caused by a rare condition called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. My shunt is in my lower back with the fluid drained off to my peritoneal cavity.
It's possible that if he had the same type of shunt then it could have moved after death as the organs decomposed.

My first thought was that he had a port a cath/power port. They're most commonly used for chemotherapy to prevent damage to the veins but they're also placed in people who need frequent IV treatments for whatever reason. They're usually placed in the subclavian vein (under the collar bone) and the tube connected to the port goes through that vein and into the vena cava (large vein that drains into the heart). Looking at pictures, it seems like the color of tubing varies- I've seen clear, blue, and purple tubing being used. It's possible that the actual port broke off somehow after his death, leaving just the tubing.

I have a power port myself and I'm honestly not sure how long fluid stays in the port/connected tubing after a treatment. Usually heparin (a blood thinner) is injected into the port after the treatment, and to my knowledge it just stays in the port, but I'm not sure how long it lasts for. It's recommended that people with ports get theirs accessed/flushed at least once a month to prevent blood clots.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SweetCandy
Back