CO CO - Aletha Capps, 33, Douglas county, 17 Dec 1955

Mrs. Badcrumble

The North remembers
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

MP79498
Aletha Capps
Female
White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact: December 17, 1955
Missing From: Douglas County, Colorado
Missing Age: 33 Years
Current Age: 99 Years

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age: 33 Years
Current Age: 99 Years

First Name: Aletha
Middle Name: --
Last Name: Capps
Nickname/Alias: --

Sex: Female
Height: 5' 0" (60 Inches)
Weight: 180 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: December 17, 1955
NamUs Case Created: April 13, 2021

Last Known Location Map
County: Douglas County
Missing From Tribal Land: No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land: --

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Aletha was last seen on 12/17/1955 in Douglas County, Colorado.

Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: --
Body Hair Description: --
Facial Hair Description: --

Left Eye Color: Brown
Right Eye Color: Brown
Eye Description: --

Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
No Information Entered

Additional Case Info

Transportation

No Information Entered

So the tl;dr version goes like follows:

Aletha and AQ is out driving and have an accident. Aletha is known for having a heart condition and has a heart attack, for which AQ goes to find help, but when he arrives back, she's no where to be found?

How very.. convenient.

Did he bring back help, though? And when did the heart attack occur? I mean, in the Dec 25th clippings, it says that they spend the night in the car and AQ went hiking for help the day after. Unless she suffered the attack right before he went for help, how would he know she had the attack? And if she suffered during the night, what did he do to aid her then?

So the tl;dr version goes like follows:

Aletha and AQ is out driving and have an accident. Aletha is known for having a heart condition and has a heart attack, for which AQ goes to find help, but when he arrives back, she's no where to be found?

How very.. convenient.

Did he bring back help, though? And when did the heart attack occur? I mean, in the Dec 25th clippings, it says that they spend the night in the car and AQ went hiking for help the day after. Unless she suffered the attack right before he went for help, how would he know she had the attack? And if she suffered during the night, what did he do to aid her then?
Too many questions. A lot of the answers could help in determining where she can be found. Unfortunately I don’t believe she made it much further than wherever this “heart attack” occurred.

I also could figure out how she was associated with AQ. Not that it matters too much.

Too many questions. A lot of the answers could help in determining where she can be found. Unfortunately I don’t believe she made it much further than wherever this “heart attack” occurred.

I also could figure out how she was associated with AQ. Not that it matters too much.
Too many questions, too many plot holes makes mrs. Badcrumble's sleuthing sense tingling.

He is, as far as I can see, still a POI in mrs. Capps' disappearance. I did a little search and found out that she had periodically tried to get in touch with her old husband, but not after Dec. 17th.. The former husband was cleared of suspicion early on, so it seems.

http://more.ppld.org:8080/SpecialCollections/Index/ArticleOrders/190644.pdf

I found a few other things, but I'm unsure if it's the same AQ.

Too many questions, too many plot holes makes mrs. Badcrumble's sleuthing sense tingling.

He is, as far as I can see, still a POI in mrs. Capps' disappearance. I did a little search and found out that she had periodically tried to get in touch with her old husband, but not after Dec. 17th.. The former husband was cleared of suspicion early on, so it seems.

I did some searching too. The AQ I found was in TX, an obituary. But I couldn’t immediately tell if it was the same one and I ended up falling asleep. I’ll probably look more later.

This mystery purple car is intriguing!! o_O

If he is -officially- we can sleuth him according to TOS

Good find, sonz82!
I couldnt find a thread for this Jane Doe
Durango Jane Doe has had a thread since 2008, but there seemed to be some confusion to when exactly she was found, so the WS thread title says "Mar'03" (this has since been corrected in NamUs, but not updated on WS). I gather the Jan.1st date on her NamUs page is a default date.
As of 2011, it appeared that Jane Doe didn't have any identifiers, but that's ten years ago, and I can see that some of the errors on her NamUs page has been corrected since then (it was last modified in Dec. 2019).

Durango Jane Doe's WS thread:
CO - CO - Durango, Fem Skull UP1807, 20-49, Turned Over to Balch Springs TX Police, Mar'03

If he is -officially- we can sleuth him according to TOS
I know, but I'm not completely sure if he is, though, so I don't take any chances.

Good find, sonz82!
Durango Jane Doe has had a thread since 2008, but there seemed to be some confusion to when exactly she was found, so the WS thread title says "Mar'03" (this has since been corrected in NamUs, but not updated on WS). I gather the Jan.1st date on her NamUs page is a default date.
As of 2011, it appeared that Jane Doe didn't have any identifiers, but that's ten years ago, and I can see that some of the errors on her NamUs page has been corrected since then (it was last modified in Dec. 2019).

Durango Jane Doe's WS thread:
CO - CO - Durango, Fem Skull UP1807, 20-49, Turned Over to Balch Springs TX Police, Mar'03

I know, but I'm not completely sure if he is, though, so I don't take any chances.

It feels like the Texas guy isn't the same mentioned.

Aletha Capps – The Charley Project

Aletha Capps
capps_aletha.jpg

Capps, circa 1955

Details of Disappearance
Capps was last seen in Douglas County, Colorado on December 17, 1955. She was seen with Alva C. Quillin Jr. at the Gold Coin Cafe in Victor, Colorado, where they were refused service because they were under the influence of alcohol, and at the Home Cafe at Crippe Creek, where Capps had a glass of milk and Quillin had three glasses of beer. This is the last time anyone besides Quillin saw her.

According to Quillin, he and Capps went for a drive and their car skidded off the road and got stuck in a snowbank on the Rampart Range Road near Castle Rock. The pair stayed in the car overnight, and the next day Quillin hiked over a mountain to Palmer Lake to get help. When he returned to the vehicle, he said, Capps was gone. She has never been heard from again and an extensive search turned up no indication of her whereabouts.

Quillin failed a polygraph about Capps's disappearance and authorities stated they believed he knew where she was. Quillin subsequently changed his story slightly, saying Capps had had a heart attack after their car got stuck, and she disappeared when he went to get help.

Capps was divorced at the time of her disappearance, but kept in occasional touch with her ex-husband. He hasn't heard from her since her disappearance. She would not have survived for long without her heart medication. Her body has never been found and no one was ever charged in her disappearance. Quillin died in 1992.

Did they ever locate the car? Because the absence of the car invalidates Quillin's story.
I think the search should have been done in Teller county, not Douglas county, as the last verifiable sightings took place at Victor and Cripple Creek. I think Quillin tried (and succeed) to take the search far from Teller county.

The photo on NamUs is very "faded" so I tried to fix it with my editing software:
Aletha Capps.jpg
She was so beautiful. I hope we find out what happens to her soon. It's been too long!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back