Found Deceased CO - Joshua Maddux, 18, Woodland Park, 8 May 2008

It makes no sense to rule this an accidental death. Clothes inside the cabin and outside the hearth and bar or table pushed against the fireplace? Why would a person want to crawl down a chimney half naked with no protection for his privates and legs? Another questionable case is that of 14 year old Robert Thompson whose remains were found in a chimney in LA in 2005. Was Joshua inside the cabin with another person(s) prior to being inside of the chimney? JMHO Body of missing Joshua Vernon Maddux found in a chimney on Thunderhead Ranch | Daily Mail Online

How awful :( Josh definitely wasn't trying to break in, though - his clothes were found already inside the cabin, so he'd started out already inside the cabin, then gone outside, climbed onto the roof and then climbed down the chimney.

I just don't understand it!!

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere in this thread....but is there any way it was all just a terribly dumb dare gone wrong?

"I dare you to go down the chimney like Santa" (maybe even egging him on to do it naked)

(Or maybe Josh initiated) "Easy, I'll even do it naked!"

He may have ditched some of the additional clothing (especially shoes) in an attempt for less of a chance to be stuck.

I could see if it was other kids his age there barricading the chimney out of panic and completely forgetting to take any of his clothing.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere in this thread....but is there any way it was all just a terribly dumb dare gone wrong?

"I dare you to go down the chimney like Santa" (maybe even egging him on to do it naked)

(Or maybe Josh initiated) "Easy, I'll even do it naked!"

He may have ditched some of the additional clothing (especially shoes) in an attempt for less of a chance to be stuck.

I could see if it was other kids his age there barricading the chimney out of panic and completely forgetting to take any of his clothing.
In revisiting this case I feel even more sure that it was a dare/prank gone wrong, probably while intoxicated. Maybe they were all partying in the cabin and the friends dared him to go streaking then they locked him out so he tried to get back in by going down the chimney and they blocked the fireplace and left because they honestly believed that eventually he would get down and the barricade would show him down from coming after them (he might have gotten really angry asking the way). Young men sometimes do truly dangerous things in the name of "fun" especially when alcohol is involved.

In revisiting this case I feel even more sure that it was a dare/prank gone wrong, probably while intoxicated. Maybe they were all partying in the cabin and the friends dared him to go streaking then they locked him out so he tried to get back in by going down the chimney and they blocked the fireplace and left because they honestly believed that eventually he would get down and the barricade would show him down from coming after them (he might have gotten really angry asking the way). Young men sometimes do truly dangerous things in the name of "fun" especially when alcohol is involved.

Even more so if they are trying to impress a young woman.

There is a long post about Josh on a thread on the site beginning with a colour, R. Apparently someone who knew Josh is also not satisfied with the coroners report. I don't think that I can post the link here. Thread is called "people who have known serial killers and it's about 2/3 the way down.

Sorry to be so obscure but I don't want to get in trouble
@badhorsie, if the thread is on WS and the comment discusses Josh, I don’t know why you wouldn’t be allowed to post a link.

I can agree with this scenario. My only question would be: if the friend(s) locked Josh out, why wouldn't Josh just try to break a window in order to get back in? Unless the friend(s) blocked all the windows too?

Then again, whenever alcohol or even drugs are involved, rational thought usually goes down the drain. If there were multiple friends standing by the windows, Josh could've figured he'd surprise them by coming down the chimney instead. However, when they heard him coming down that way, they blocked it too.

That could also explain why no one has come forward. They'd be afraid to be charged with underage drinking, illegal drug use, and manslaughter.

I'm still haunted by this case. It's so bizarre.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back