CT CT - Bridgeport, BlkFem 25-35, UP14478, badly burned in empty lot, near the body: one ASICS shoe, one Reebok shoe, Jun'93

rats

Justice for Sheridan Jane Doe.
Reaction score
NamUs: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/14478

Case #: 93-05848
Date found: June 5, 1993
Location: Empty lot, Lafayette and Railroad, Bridgeport, CT (Fairfield Co.)
Estimated age: 25-35
Race: Black/African American
Sex: Female
Hair: Black, curly
Height: 63 inches.
Body conditions: Not recognizable - Charred/burned
Probable year of death: 1993 to 1993
Estimated postmortem interval: 5 hours

Circumstances:
Badly Burned female found in empty lot.

Clothing: Found near the body at the scene: One white colored ASICS sneaker, One Reebok Sneaker

Dental information/charting is available and entered
DNA: Sample submitted - tests complete

Poor woman. :( My question is, where's her recon? Why is CT so terrible about recons?

Also, most likely not related, but similar enough to mention: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-40-burning-in-tire-pile-no-hands-feet-May-85

As a native nutmegger, I agree it is sad that there is so little info and fewer recons available for these UID cases from CT. We are (were?) a wealthy state but our fiscal management is terrible. Two examples: millions of taxpayer dollars are being sunk into the construction of a baseball stadium in downtown Hartford that may never be finished, and billions have been invested in new intercity buses that hardly anyone uses, yet our road surfaces are among the worst in the country. There is woefully little info in NAMUS as not enough money is earmarked for cold cases.

On June 5, 1993, the severely burned body of a black female was found in a vacant lot at Lafayette Street and Railroad Avenue. She was estimated to be between five foot one and five foot four and the ages of 25 to 35. Because of the damage to her body the composite sketch pictured here may not be accurate.

bridgeportjanedoe.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/ColdCasesReopened/posts/851700961529102
http://www.ctcoldcases.com/connecticut2.html

hm there seems to be quite a lot of female murders happening around Bridgeport area

On June 5, 1993, the severely burned body of a black female was found in a vacant lot at Lafayette Street and Railroad Avenue. She was estimated to be between five foot one and five foot four and the ages of 25 to 35. Because of the damage to her body the composite sketch pictured here may not be accurate.

bridgeportjanedoe.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/ColdCasesReopened/posts/851700961529102
http://www.ctcoldcases.com/connecticut2.html

hm there seems to be quite a lot of female murders happening around Bridgeport area

OMG! Thank you for finding this! (It made me realize I put the month wrong in the thread title. Oops...) ((EDIT: Thank u Carl for fixing it!))

Bridgeport is a terrible area. "Bridgeport, Connecticut, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 100, is 81. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 41.4." http://www.bestplaces.net/crime/city/connecticut/bridgeport I'm not surprised that there's a lot of female murders. Actually, I'm surprised they don't have more UIDs.

May 17 2018
http://bronx.news12.com/story/38217050/bridgeport-police-use-dna-tech-to-help-solve-1993-cold-case
Bridgeport police use DNA tech to help solve 1993 cold case
Bridgeport police have turned to a forensic lab in Virginia to come up with composite photos of the victim, saying she is the only unidentified victim among their 340 cold cases. They made the announcement at a news conference Thursday morning.

Police say Parabon NanoLabs specializes in predicting physical appearance and ancestry by using unidentified DNA, and the technology has now evolved to the point where extraordinary details can be discerned in composite photos.

[url]http://connecticut.news12.com/story/38217050/bridgeport-police-use-dna-tech-to-help-solve-1993-cold-case

[/URL]

From Mary Bell at Doe Network:
Thank you for the suggested match. I don't show any comparison of these having been done so I will have our panel look at it. If is proven to be a positive match, I will contact you further.​

Thanks for the reply... I really hope we can get this woman named... Were there any other missing females reported near this area at this time besides ms hall? Im new to this sort of thing... And very pregnant lol so time is not my friend right now but i would like to learn how to do more for these cold cases.... If anyone can teach me some ways to do so that would be helpful.

Thanks for the reply... I really hope we can get this woman named... Were there any other missing females reported near this area at this time besides ms hall? Im new to this sort of thing... And very pregnant lol so time is not my friend right now but i would like to learn how to do more for these cold cases.... If anyone can teach me some ways to do so that would be helpful.
Welcome to Ws Rosescorned, congratulations on your pregnancy!
One thing that can help in cold cases is finding news items about the case and posting, plus looking through missing person sites to see if you can find a match.
Re posting information and pics of the person can keep a thread active and keeping your eyes open for other similar cases too.
Lots more, but posting this for now, others here no doubt have more ideas!

Welcome to Ws Rosescorned, congratulations on your pregnancy!
One thing that can help in cold cases is finding news items about the case and posting, plus looking through missing person sites to see if you can find a match.
Re posting information and pics of the person can keep a thread active and keeping your eyes open for other similar cases too.
Lots more, but posting this for now, others here no doubt have more ideas!

Thank you!! I am due any day now but once shes here ill have more time and energy haha i appreciate the ideas to keep stuff updated on the cold cases. I was telling my husband how it is so sad that a lot of these cases could get solved with a little bit of time and energy (well i hope at least) its just so hard on the cold case detectives when they have 100s of cases and only 1-2 people working on them. Thats why i joined here. If i can help a little then my job here was worth it! I hope one day there will be some answers and i will work on what i can with my little knowledge of the internet these days (haha i used to be so much better at this stuff i swear). So thanks again for the reply :)

1713916292229.png
1713916376399.png
"In June 1993, the remains of an unidentified individual were found in an empty lot in Bridgeport, Connecticut, which is located southwest of New Haven off of I-95. The Bridgeport Police Department responded to the scene in a vacant lot at Lafayette Street and Railroad Avenue in the south end of the city. The Connecticut Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined that the remains were that of a black female between 25 and 35 years of age who stood 5’ 3” tall. The woman was badly burned and no other identifying characteristics could be determined. A white Asics sneaker was found near the woman’s remains as well as a Reebok sneaker. It was determined that the woman's manner of death was homicide.

In 2015, case details were entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) as #UP14478. Additionally, a composite sketch depicting how the woman may have looked during her life was developed and released to the public in hopes that it would generate new leads in the case. For more than thirty years, the identity of the woman has remained a mystery despite efforts of investigators.

In 2024, as part of an ongoing collaboration aimed at solving the backlog of cold cases in Connecticut, the Connecticut Office of the Chief Medical Examiner partnered with Othram in The Woodlands, Texas to determine if advanced DNA testing could help to identify the woman.''

Last edited:
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP14478Female, Black / African American
Date Body FoundJune 5, 1993
Location FoundBridgeport, Connecticut
Estimated Age Range25-35 Years

Case Numbers​

NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number93-05848

Demographics​

Biological SexFemale
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Nickname/Alias--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 40
Estimated Age Range (Years)25-35
Estimated Year of Death1993
Estimated PMI5 Hours
Height5' 3"(63 inches) , Estimated
WeightCannot Estimate

Circumstances​

TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundJune 5, 1993
NamUs Case CreatedNovember 6, 2015
ME/C QA Reviewed--

Location Found Map

LocationBridgeport, Connecticut 06610
CountyFairfield County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Found On Tribal Land--
Circumstances of RecoveryBadly Burned female found in empty lot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty2009
Back