CT CT - Warren Niederfringer, 23, Newington, 1 June 1972

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Warren Joseph Niederfringer[/h]
  • warren_joseph_niederfringer_1.jpg
  • warren_joseph_niederfringer_2.jpg
  • warren_joseph_niederfringer_3.jpg
Niederfringer, circa 1972

• Missing Since 06/01/1972
  • Missing From Newington, Connecticut
  • Classification Missing
  • Age 23 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'9 - 5'10, 140 - 150 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Niederfringer had a mustache at the time of his disappearance.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Niederfringer was last seen in Newington, Connecticut on June 1, 1972. He was en route to Boston, Massachusetts or North Carolina at the time, driving a 1960s model yellow Dodge walk-in van previously owned by the Connecticut Light and Power Company (CL&P). He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

http://charleyproject.org/case/warren-joseph-niederfringer

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23570/

http://www.missingveterans.com/1972/warren-joseph-niederfringer/

[h=1]Warren Joseph Niederfringer[/h]
  • warren_joseph_niederfringer_1.jpg
  • warren_joseph_niederfringer_2.jpg
  • warren_joseph_niederfringer_3.jpg
Niederfringer, circa 1972

• Missing Since 06/01/1972
  • Missing From Newington, Connecticut
  • Classification Missing
  • Age 23 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'9 - 5'10, 140 - 150 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Niederfringer had a mustache at the time of his disappearance.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Niederfringer was last seen in Newington, Connecticut on June 1, 1972. He was en route to Boston, Massachusetts or North Carolina at the time, driving a 1960s model yellow Dodge walk-in van previously owned by the Connecticut Light and Power Company (CL&P). He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

http://charleyproject.org/case/warren-joseph-niederfringer

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23570/

http://www.missingveterans.com/1972/warren-joseph-niederfringer/

Thanks for posting, I’ve never heard of this case. Boston and North Carolina are obviously two very different directions, and I would think his van would stand out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bumping for Warren

I doubt it has any relevance, but Warren was married in 1968 (to a Judit Tingley) and divorced in February 1971. According to the record there was one child. The records are on Ancestry (but mistranscribed as Warre J Niederfringer - but age and Newington match).

I found this guy and thought I would post.

3121UMWV

Date of Discovery: July 23, 1972
Location of Discovery: Beckley, Raleigh County, West Virginia
Estimated Date of Death: Same day
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Traumatic injuries
Cause of Death: Auto/pedestrian accident

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 17-21 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 6'0"
Weight: Unknown
Hair: Dark, reddish brown. Wore a mustache.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Not available.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Black Levis, a blue and grey checkered shirt and jungle boots.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent was struck and killed by a vehicle while he was hitchhiking near the Fair Deal Market on US 19-21.

An individual who had previously given the unidentified male a ride stated the decedent was traveling to Bluefield to obtain a birth cirtificate to join the army.

The decedent claimed he was raised in Chicago, Illinois and both of his parents had died. He did not provide his name to the driver.

Investigating Agency(s)

3121UMWV

I was searching for a possible match Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP5661. Warren seemed like a distinct possibility to me. The UP was found in a military issued shirt and Warren was a vet. They both had scars on the left side of their chin, ((I think) if you visit http://www.missingveterans.com/1972/warren-joseph-niederfringer/ and zoom in on the one of his face, it seems like a very large scar), both had blue eyes and were similar in height and weight. It seemed likely that if he'd run into drugs on his road trip, it would explain the unkempt appearance in the UP photo. I reported it as a possibility just in case. What do you guys think?

warren_joseph_niederfringer_04.png

upload_2019-2-15_16-33-59.png

Funny, I live nearby and have NEVER heard of this case until just now stumbling upon it...

I have a lot of questions, including who saw him in CT and who said he was heading for Boston or NC (and of course, for what purpose). As mentioned above, those are two totally different directions!

I grew up in a neighboring town close to the newington border he went missing 9 years before i was even born but when i became intrested in missing persons cases and started researching ct people his never came up

cases with little to no info always intrigue me

I grew up in a neighboring town close to the newington border he went missing 9 years before i was even born but when i became intrested in missing persons cases and started researching ct people his never came up cases with little to no info always intrigue me

I was looking at a case last night from Maryland that seemed like it could be ineresting to compare: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The eye color is wrong but it's old info so I don't give it 100%

I emailed the Maryland ME to see if Warren was ruled out as being the Salisbury JD from 1972.

I was searching for a possible match Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP5661. Warren seemed like a distinct possibility to me. The UP was found in a military issued shirt and Warren was a vet. They both had scars on the left side of their chin, ((I think) if you visit Warren Joseph Niederfringer and zoom in on the one of his face, it seems like a very large scar), both had blue eyes and were similar in height and weight. It seemed likely that if he'd run into drugs on his road trip, it would explain the unkempt appearance in the UP photo. I reported it as a possibility just in case. What do you guys think?

warren_joseph_niederfringer_04.png

View attachment 169355
Warren has been excluded, according to this: Berks County John Doe (1977)
I think madamx's John Doe is very likely, however, according to NamUs: "The unidentified was hitch-hiking when he was struck by a car that went out of control near the Fair Deal Market on US 19-21. A motorist who had given the hitch-hiker a ride just before his death told police the man told him he was en route to Bluefield where he was born to get a birth certificate so he could join the Army. He also told, the motorist he was raised in Chicago, IL., but his parents were dead. He never divulged his name."
We know Warren had a Dodge, so it's weird he had to hitchhike (maybe his vehicle was broken down), and he was a veteran, so the story about joining the Army does not make sense. He may be lying, however.
I found this possible match: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
There's no article that says he had a tattoo, but he was a veteran and it's not uncommon to get a tattoo while serving.
Other detail I don't understand is this: "Niederfringer was last known to be driving an older model (1960's) yellow dodge walk-in van previously owned by Connecticut Light and Power company".
Did the van belong to the company and he was an employee? Was he working while he disappeared? Did Warren buy/steal the van to the company?

Found an entry in a newspaper that I believe is about him, as he would have been 17 in 1966.

"Warren J. Niederfringer 17, of 2090 Main St. Newington, and Alexander G. Murashko, 17 of 277 Goodale Dr., Newington were arrested at 1:50 a.m. Tuesday at Shoe Town, 1773 Berlin Turnpike. Officer John Budaj made the arrest. Both were charged with attempted breaking and entering and possession of burglar tools. Niederfringer was also charged with carrying a gun without a permit. The Phillips 66 Service Station, 1331 Silas Deane Hwy., was broken into between 1:30 and 6 a.m. Tuesday. Police said entry was made through the back door and $50 in cash was stolen."

6 years before his disappearance but perhaps he lived at the same address?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandraJean1130
Back