Denmark - Copenhagen's 17th century Old Stock Exchange burns down, no injuries reported, great cultural loss, 16 Apr 2024

iamshadow21

Amateur Forensics Geek
Reaction score

They're comparing it to the loss of Notre Dame. People were rushing into the burning building to save paintings.

From the scaffolding and building wrap around the outside I do wonder if it's going to be the same sort of reason as Notre Dame - sparks from renovation work.

EDIT: I am aware I typed the year wrong, I've already asked a mod to fix it.

In case you're thinking of a standard portrait size of artwork, think again. At least one artwork saved looks about the size of a van. This sky article seems to have the best pictures of its rescue.

The artwork loss may not be as bad as it could have been - it sounds like a percentage had been removed recently because of the renovation work.

Bless this fire and rescue person for being upset he couldn't manage getting a statue weighing several tonnes out of the building. The building which is currently very much on fire.

Last edited:
This Mirror article has a lot of photos and a lot of different statements from witnesses, both those with a deep connection to the building and general public.

According to the Copenhagen Post, it sounds as though the fire spread quickly though the elevator shaft. (Enjoy the slightly quirky English used, it's lovely.)

The Mail seems to have a lot of the same content as everyone else, but I think their photo of a middle aged man in floods of tears watching the Borsen burn is new. I think that from what I've read, the parallels in significance to the burning of Notre Dame are very appropriate.

EDIT: A few more pictures added, now, including ones of the restoration work that was going on, of the roof.

Last edited:
Berlingske has a live blog going. I don't speak or read Danish, but the translate button on my Chrome browser on my phone works a treat.

Sounds like there is risk of building collapse, and the smoke which had been turning whiter (good) has become thicker and blacker again (bad).

They're pouring water from four ladders into the building, some into areas that are not yet on fire to try and prevent the fire spreading.

The copper roof which was hindering the fire fighters is gone - I don't know if that is as a result of the fire or because of the machinery they were talking about bringing in to peel it open.

Also, there has been 'massive collapse' of the scaffolding and possibly the building behind it.

Fortunately, water for the effort is not an issue in Copenhagen - the firefighters are able to pump up water directly from the canals.

Last edited:
According to the Berlingske feed, despite some articles from other media outlets saying that the restoration work hadn't started for the day due to the early hour, there were in fact at least two teams at work at the time. A team of masons and a team of carpenters and joiners. Both were on the scaffolding. The spokesperson from the masons said he saw fire running along the ridge of the roof. He took a picture then evacuated with all haste with his crew.

In addition to building staff and members of the public who volunteered, it sounds like forty military conscripts were dispatched to help save significant pieces of art and furniture from the flames.

Also, the smoke from the fire is large enough to be seen from Sweden.

Last edited:
Berlingske is reporting there will be a press conference at 4pm local time (in a bit over half an hour).

Press conference is being live streamed now on Berlingske, for those who understand Danish.

Last edited:
Traditional investigation begins now.

HUNDREDS of artworks saved!

They even ALMOST rescued that enormous statue! (Let's hope it's got through the fire intact - much more robust than the oil paintings, after all.)

EDIT: Live blog is now saying they DID save the statue, despite it being nailed down! That would be incredible if it's true!

Thank you for your updates, I found out about this entering websleuths and denmark is my neighboring country, It is so sad when old historic building dies, 400 years old.
I'm glad you found it useful! I've just created this thread and updated it on my lonesome because I'm Australian and was awake, when I knew most of the user base in the US is asleep. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've never been to Copenhagen, and it looks like it was a glorious building that was deeply significant to everyone.

If it makes it any easier, in the press conference, they were unequivocally stating that it WILL be rebuilt, whatever the cost. I guess the benefit of it happening to Notre Dame five years ago is that people will truly believe it IS possible for it to be restored to them. I have faith it will be done beautifully, rising from the ashes like a phoenix.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back