Does anyone know how many inches skeletal remains height estimates are usually off?

aThousandYearsWide

Reaction score
I was wondering what is the typical height difference in inches for skeletal remains when matching to a MP. I found a MP that matches a Doe with everything but the height is off by quite a bit.

Also does anyone have an example of a ID where the height was way off?

How many years between last seen, and date of death?

How accurate is the report of height when the person became missing? Did someone guess, or did the doctor's office report height trend over several years?

If I'm 5'9" and you're shorter, I may guess your height a couple inches off same if you're taller.

I expect the accuracy of measuring remains varies, especially if body parts are missing.

Young men may continue growing until they are 23 years old, although 21 is more common.

Aging shrinks your height (although not my waistline) as the discs in your spine loose elasticity & flatten.

I have severe arthritis in my lumber spine. Looking at your MRI with a good practitioner is interesting. My upper-back discs are normal, but my lumber discs are about as thick as the sole of a man's dress shoe.

A person may loose 1/2 inch in height -- or even more -- to discs flattening per disc.

There are 5 lumber discs, I've lost at least an inch in height since my 20's and probably more.

If other indicators are similar -- submit, please.

How many years between last seen, and date of death?

How accurate is the report of height when the person became missing? Did someone guess, or did the doctor's office report height trend over several years?

If I'm 5'9" and you're shorter, I may guess your height a couple inches off same if you're taller.

I expect the accuracy of measuring remains varies, especially if body parts are missing.

Young men may continue growing until they are 23 years old, although 21 is more common.

Aging shrinks your height (although not my waistline) as the discs in your spine loose elasticity & flatten.

I have severe arthritis in my lumber spine. Looking at your MRI with a good practitioner is interesting. My upper-back discs are normal, but my lumber discs are about as thick as the sole of a man's dress shoe.

A person may loose 1/2 inch in height -- or even more -- to discs flattening per disc.

There are 5 lumber discs, I've lost at least an inch in height since my 20's and probably more.

If other indicators are similar -- submit, please.

Thank you Laughing! Great response. I will try to submit him soon.

I will admit I didn't even know my exact height until my boyfriend measured me a few weeks ago. I just knew I was over 5'3 which is my sister's height. I was only an inch off. I thought I was 5'5 and my correct height is 5'6.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandraJean1130
Back