Evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
SouthEastSleuth said:
Also, the theory of doing ANYTHING with regard to being seen by the neighbors just does not compute for me - look again at the pictures. The house is completely surrounded by woods. Sure, you can see somewhat through the woods the sketchy outlines of neighboring houses... but at NIGHT? And, from having driven over there, trust me, you can see little, IF ANY, of the house itself from the end of the driveway on Ferrand.
I haven't been there but from the pictures that were taken on the porch, you can indeed see through the trees to the neighboring houses. I don't know the difference in leaf presence from whenever those pictures were taken to the end of April or if the front door might be hidden more than the side door. Without seeing the property, I just cannot say. But we can speculate that he might be seen at the side door just the same as we can speculate that he might not be. Without being there, I just don't know.

Timex said:
Here's my problem...if they have all of this blood evidence that points to Raven, yet there has not been an arrest, there has to be something standing in the way.

1) TOD eliminates Raven, his alibi holds up, so he couldnt have been there when the crime was comitted, meaning the story of how the blood got on doors is accurate.

2) No blood cast-off patterns on ravens clothes, only blood stains, indicating he indeed held her, but did not stab her.

3) There is another POI they are investigating at this time.
Or the evidence has not been examined yet by the lab. How far are they backed up - did someone mention a year?

Wouldnt have to be examined...if he had blood on him when LE got there, and it matched up with the blood locations inside the house etc. You could be right, but I just dont see this as a case of "we cant do anything until the tests come back". People are arrested on far less everyday.

Lets look at what we assume they know...

1) Raven had affairs

2) Raven had embezzled form his employer..causing both he and Janet to lose thier jobs.

3) There were severe financial problems.

4) Janet had no known enemies

5) The crime was not random

6) No evidence of anyone else being in the house

7) Raven had blood on him when they arrived

8) He had a short temper

9) He admits to liking knives

10) He didnt appear to grieve appropriately at the funeral

11) He said gunshot instead of knife wound, even though he had been near the body

This is FAR more than they have in most cases. Far more than the standards needed to arrest.

I think about the Fox case, where there was really no evidence against the father, yet the brought im in on a hunch. They interrogated him for a lengthy amount of time, and eventually got a confession. They did this because they felt he was the perp. If LE really feels Raven is the perp...why havent they at least brought him in for serious questioning?

Timex said:
so if no blood...that would be even more suspicious IMO.
I just mentioned this briefly on another thread. What if the circumstantial evidence IS as overwhelming as we think it might be, and that LE is totally aware of it. Imagine also that LE has sent items to the lab but decide to arrest Raven before they get the results back. Then while Raven is under arrest, the results come in, and it proves Raven's innocence. Wouldn't LE have a HUGE problem at that point? Isn't it better, when LE has some forensic evidence, to wait for the results regardless of how strong the circumstantial evidence is?

Secondly, what if Raven won't waive his right to a speedy trial? Wouldn't they have to get the case before a judge within 90 days? It would be tremendously irresponsible, IMO, for LE to place him under arrest any sooner than necessary while they're waiting for all of the evidence to come back. If they risk going to court without the evidence to back them up, they risk letting a murderer off. It would be different if there was nothing to go on BUT circumstantial evidence but since they've collected some, they should at least wait to find out what, if anything, it shows.

Timex said:
I think about the Fox case, where there was really no evidence against the father, yet the brought im in on a hunch. They interrogated him for a lengthy amount of time, and eventually got a confession. They did this because they felt he was the perp. If LE really feels Raven is the perp...why havent they at least brought him in for serious questioning?
In the Fox case, do they have any forensic evidence on which they had to wait? I don't remember, it's been so long.

JerseyGirl said:
In the Fox case, do they have any forensic evidence on which they had to wait? I don't remember, it's been so long.

Yes, none of it had came back when the arrest was made, in fact, there is still some that hasnt came back.

Westerfield was arrested before the lab results were back.

Its quite common when they are certain they know who the perp is.

There is one thing Raven has that these other men did not have, and it would make a world of difference.

Raven has a lawyer. And if he follows that lawyer's advice, LE may never get a chance to seriously question him.

That's right. When did he retain the lawyer? Did he ask for an attorney during any questioning, I wonder?

JerseyGirl said:
That's right. When did he retain the lawyer? Did he ask for an attorney during any questioning, I wonder?

No, he already had one...from the embezzlement charges.

JerseyGirl said:
I thought that I heard that he has a different lawyer in regards to this case.

Ive only heard of one lawyer, but you could be correct.

Rooster said:
He didn't tell me any details...I didn't ask. This is a VERY hard time for Raven and the families. Me knowing the detials will not bring Janet back. LE knows the details. I pray they will find and arrest the murderer soon.
Rooster -

It was not my intention to offend you or seem insensitve, in the least. You are absolutely right - nothing in fact will bring Janet back.

My intent in asking you about Raven's attempt to "revive" Janet, was along the lines of establishing hard evidence - blood on Raven. I thought you might know what in fact he did to try and save Janet, as you're privy to other highly detailed information, such as "the Durango was locked."

And yes, let's hope you're right: "LE knows the details."

And I'm sure we can ALL agree that "they will find and arrest the murderer soon."

SouthEastSleuth said:
And I'm sure we can ALL agree that "they will find and arrest the murderer soon."

I hope this is the case, but Im not convinced it is so. I know I am in the minority here with my opinion, but I just dont think they are anywhere near an arrest in this case.

Timex said:
I hope this is the case, but Im not convinced it is so. I know I am in the minority here with my opinion, but I just dont think they are anywhere near an arrest in this case.
Well then, I'm in the minority as well. To me, if the evidence was there to make the case, then Raven would have been arrested by now, period.

As you wrote earlier Timex, there really are very few scenarios regarding LE and this case:

1. No evidence to arrest Raven
2. Evidence still being processed, evaluated, etc., Raven's guilt/innocence not determined
3. There are other(s) who are POI
4. Totally clueless as to who killed Janet

And quite frankly, I don't which the hell it is!

If I had a genie in a bottle and I could have two wishes with regard to this case:

1) autopsy/ME statement (TOD)
2) police report (If it includes Raven's initial statement to LE).

sigh...

SouthEastSleuth said:
If I had a genie in a bottle and I could have two wishes with regard to this case:
1) autopsy/ME statement (TOD)
2) police report (If it includes Raven's initial statement to LE).
I think my two wishes would be:
1) How/Why was this done
2) Who did it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads