Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the file size limit for uploaded files?
  • Up to 10 files can be uploaded per post
  • Individual files cannot exceed 2 MB
  • Certain file types are not accepted

How do I put text copied from an MSM article into a quote box?
  • Paste the text into the reply box
  • Select (highlight) all the quoted text
  • Click the button "Insert..."
  • Select "Quote"
  • This will add code to the beginning and end of the text so it will display as a quote box. It will look like this, but without the "$" symbol:
    • [QUOTE$] text from article here [/QUOTE$]
  • You can also type these quote tags manually if preferred

Can other users see that I'm "online"?
  • If you enable "show online status", others will see a green indicator on your avatar when you're online:
OnlineUser.png
  • Click your username in the top right to open the user settings menu. To let others see when you are online, check the box "show online status".
ShowOnline.png

Can other users see what I'm reading/posting?
  • If you enable "Show your current activity", others will be able to see what you are currently viewing or last viewed.
  • Click your username in the top right and select "Privacy" from the menu. To let others see your activity, check the box "Show your current activity".
LastSeen.png

What if I don't want my birthday to be shared?
  • Click your username in the top right and select "Privacy" from the menu. To hide your birthday, uncheck "Show day and month of birth" and/or "Show year of birth".

Can any user contact me via Conversation?
  • You can limit who can start a Conversation with you in your Privacy settings. There are two options:
    • "Members Only" (all WS members)
    • "People You Follow Only"

Can I change my username?
  • Username changes are not commonly granted, but if you have a compelling reason to change your username, reach out to a Mod via PM or by reporting on a post, and include the reason for the request. It will be reviewed and a determination made if a change of name will be made.

How do I change my avatar (icon / picture)?
  • Click your username in the top right menu and select "Personal Details". Click your current avatar to upload a new one.
  • It is recommended to use an image that is 100 x 100 pixels. "Paint" is an example of a program you can use to resize your image.

How do I change what it says under my username?
  • In the top right of the webpage, click your username
  • In the pop-up window, click "Personal Details"
  • This takes you to a page where you can change a couple things:
    • "Status" - This is text only visible on your profile, not visible on your posts in the threads.
    • "Custom Title" - This is the text below your avatar on your posts. The defaults are "New Member", "Member", "Well-known Member". You will also see "Moderator", "Verified Expert", "Verified Insider" etc.

How do I change my email settings? (ex. disable emails for every post on watched threads)
  • In upper right corner, click your username
  • In the pop-up window, click on "contact details"
  • This takes you to a page where you can adjust your settings and save

Can I still use Tapatalk, or is there another app I can use?
  • The new platform is not compatible with Tapatalk or other mobile apps. This platform is designed to adapt to the device being used so you have a similar browsing experience on any device.

Can we still customize the number of posts per page?
  • No, the number of posts per page is now "locked" at 20. Larger page loads were causing sluggish performance.

How do I get to a specific page number? There used to be a dropdown box to select a page number.
  • You can use the <-- and --> buttons in the page number list to jump a few pages at a time until you reach the desired page.

Is there still an "ignore thread" or "hide thread" option?
  • No, there is not an option to ignore or hide a thread. The new platform is based on watching what you are interested in rather than hiding what you aren't interested in.

Is there still a way to see which members and guests are 'viewing this thread'?
  • No, the thread-specific viewer statistics are not available.
  • You can see the overall number of members, guests, and "robots" on Websleuths (see this post about robots).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adayinthelifeofasd