GZ Case - Defense Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarcasm not necessary. Paranoia would be thinking you're being followed when you're not, but I think you know that.

If someone, who is a stranger to you, is following you---it would be reasonable to fear for your life and/or safety.

I wasn't being sarcastic. A unwarranted fear of others is paranoia. There is no reason to fear for your life if someone is following you. I dare repeat myself in saying that if being followed is good grounds to "fear for your life" then the next time I'm at the mall and someone follows me around the corner I'll just pull out my gun and start shooting.

par·a·noi·a

noun /ˌparəˈnoiə/ 

A mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality

Suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification

All of the reasons given by you are exactly why she would NOT overcharge. She could have calmed the crowd with any charge that led to an arrest/jury trial.

She is charging 12 year old as adult with first degree murder.

To "calm the crowd." To "look like the heroine." There are many reasons for her to over charge. It could also be political, and if it is, even if she fails to deliver on THIS case it wouldn't mean her political career is over. I'm sure someone will help me with a name here, but one of the investigators for the Casey Anthony trial STILL proceeded to run for office after losing his case - I don't know if he won or lost that election but it struck me as odd that people would consider congratulating the investigator by electing him after he showed his lack in job performance.

The "overcharge" statement has been made by MANY lawyers. Some who are affiliated with certain networks, and some who were not. The biggest shocker, I think, to everyone was Mr. Alan Dershowitz saying what he did about it.

Also, iirc Corey was up for potential re-election when she charged the case, and subsequently was unopposed. I posted about it a while ago.

All of the reasons given by you are exactly why she would NOT overcharge. She could have calmed the crowd with any charge that led to an arrest/jury trial.

I doubt that, considering the whole situation was because there wasn't an arrest. Remember Ms. Fulton's words? "We just want an arrest. We don't want a conviction, we just want an arrest."

Not according to Crump. You will recall that he felt compelled to call for a "peaceful" reaction to the SECOND degree charge. Clearly, they had been gunning for Murder 1 and felt that Murder 2 would be a potential cause for unrest. Imagine the reaction to a mere manslaughter charge.

She is charging 12 year old as adult with first degree murder.

So? Did his crime fit the elements of first degree murder? That would be more appropriate to discuss as it relates to "over-charging"...Basing outrage on age alone really has no bearing as to whether or not she over-charged in that case...JMO

So? Did his crime fit the elements of first degree murder? That would be more appropriate to discuss as it relates to "over-charging"...Basing outrage on age alone really has no bearing as to whether or not she over-charged in that case...JMO

So? He is 12.

She's concerned with the law...a person's age may matter, but to a lesser degree.

afaik, charging a 12 yo with murder has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with the prosecutor's "discretion." It was her call, entirely, and she elected to charge him as an adult. Someone else posted that he is the youngest ever to be so charged in the US. Which is not difficult for me to beleive at all.

I wasn't being sarcastic. A unwarranted fear of others is paranoia. There is no reason to fear for your life if someone is following you. I dare repeat myself in saying that if being followed is good grounds to "fear for your life" then the next time I'm at the mall and someone follows me around the corner I'll just pull out my gun and start shooting.

On what planet? I would be fearful if someone was following me and would try to elude them. Fearing "for your life"? I think that's a bit much. Being fearful is a fair assessment. Fearing for your life means that more is going on, perhaps a gun in your face.

Besides, I don't think that GZ was following Trayvon. Given, allegedly, that he lost Trayvon for a bit, I think he was pursuing him , a different kettle of fish. Regardless, on what planet is it okay for a stranger to follow you? I imagine those who have a gun have a reason to fear that exact thing, so have a gun for protection, just in case.

On what planet? I would be fearful if someone was following me and would try to elude them. Fearing "for your life"? I think that's a bit much. Being fearful is a fair assessment. Fearing for your life means that more is going on, perhaps a gun in your face.

Besides, I don't think that GZ was following Trayvon. Given that he lost Trayvon for a bit, I think he was pursuing him , a different kettle of fish. Regardless, on what planet is it okay for a stranger to follow you? I imagine those who have a gun have a reason to fear that exact thing, so have guns for protection, just in case.

Based on the bold, you are agreeing with my statement.

Sarcasm not necessary. Paranoia would be thinking you're being followed when you're not, but I think you know that.

If someone, who is a stranger to you, is following you---it would be reasonable to fear for your life and/or safety.

Especially at night!

Someone following you in the mall is not truly following you. They may be walking in the same direction as you, or just happen to be walking behind you. The situation with GZ and Trayvon was very much different. Trayvon was headed home, GZ had NO reason to be following him in that direction. He had no reason to have watched him beforehand.

These are very different situations.

afaik, charging a 12 yo with murder has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with the prosecutor's "discretion." It was her call, entirely, and she elected to charge him as an adult. Someone else posted that he is the youngest ever to be so charged in the US. Which is not difficult for me to beleive at all.

Did the elements of his crime fit first degree murder or not?

Prosecutors do not have discretion that goes outside the bounds of established laws, as far as I know.

par·a·noi·a

noun /ˌparəˈnoiə/ 

A mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality

Suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification

I just couldn't help but notice the bolded is exactly what I think GZ did that night. I have never thought about him being paranoid until I read that though, isn't paranoia a side effect of adderal? hmmmm.....food for thought.

par·a·noi·a

noun /ˌparəˈnoiə/ 

I just couldn't help but notice the bolded is exactly what I think GZ did that night. I have never thought about him being paranoid until I read that though, isn't paranoia a side effect of adderal? hmmmm.....food for thought.

LOL very good point.

Did the elements of his crime fit first degree murder or not?

Prosecutors do not have discretion that goes outside the bounds of established laws, as far as I know.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is suggesting that, if he was an adult, he could should not have been charged with Murder 1. The point was the Corey chose to charge him with that crime as an adult. She did not have to do that and I believe the poster who said it's not been done before. She is an extremely aggressive prosecutor. Everyone agrees on it, even her, I think. And that's what started the convo, iirc.

eta: and it is the "charge him as an adult" part that I believe in w/i the prosecutor's discretion.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is suggesting that, if he was an adult, he could should not have been charged with Murder 1. The point was the Corey chose to charge him with that crime as an adult. She did not have to do that and I believe the poster who said it's not been done before. She is an extremely aggressive prosecutor. Everyone agrees on it, even her, I think. And that's what started the convo, iirc.

Corey is also the one who prosecuted that lady who shot into the ceiling. The woman got 20 years even though no one died and the woman claims she was shooting in self-defense.

Someone following you in the mall is not truly following you. They may be walking in the same direction as you, or just happen to be walking behind you. The situation with GZ and Trayvon was very much different. Trayvon was headed home, GZ had NO reason to be following him in that direction. He had no reason to have watched him beforehand.

To make a determination that they are following without asking, you would have to be psychic - and I don't believe in that. That is my point. If I am free to think whatever I want without justification I can pull my weapon on someone I think is following me, simply because people here have stated they would feel their life is in danger, and pull the trigger. It's NOT justified. There is no ex-post-facto after someone's dead. You can't change it. At the time Mr. Martin -correctly- thought that Mr. Zimmerman -was- following him, this does not mean that Mr. Martin could have just as easily made the WRONG assumption. Either way, just because you think someone is following you does not justify ANY use of force.

Does it justify being cautious, keeping your distance and asking why they're following you? Sure. Can you tell me what didn't happen in this scenario?

How did Trayvon not know George might be lost? For all he knew, GZ was trying to find a certain condo, very common in communities like that. TM is the one who was circling the truck and the one who took off running, not GZ. What if GZ was getting out of his truck just to find a street address. Would TM have a right to sneak out of nowhere and and ask GZ what his effing problem is, or why he's following him, did GZ being on a sidewalk in a community where he pays rent give TM the right to bust his nose and black his eyes? I can see this happening if TM was up to something, which he could have been, we don't know. That or TM was being paranoid.

Lots of people walk up and down those sidewalks, many are AA, I just can't see a kid walking and talking to his girlfriend looking suspicious and as if he is "on drugs" for no reason.

I hope O'Mara is looking into the jewelry and the 3 burglaries in September 2011 - I wonder if TM was visiting Sanford at the time.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member