IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why they searched that area. How do you get a semi to stop?
His wife said he bought a different semi. What if DS had been having problems with his semi and he was having mechanical issues that night after stopping at Sparky’s? He maybe took that road because it was acting up?? When he got out to look around at the problem, someone hit him?? Just a thought. At this point anything is possible I guess.

His wife said he bought a different semi. What if DS had been having problems with his semi and he was having mechanical issues that night after stopping at Sparky’s? He maybe took that road because it was acting up?? When he got out to look around at the problem, someone hit him?? Just a thought. At this point anything is possible I guess.
If David had a problem with the truck mechanically or otherwise, it would seem more likely he would drive south from Hwy 20 one mile towards Sac City and in the direction of his house in Wall Lake where he could get help, rather than turn north from Hwy 20 towards rural farm land where there would be no help at all and then drive four miles before getting out to see what the problem was.

JMO

Unless this a road that is commonly used by drivers to deliver livestock. Wonder if there are certain times or days they go thru?
This is Iowa. All of our roads, particularly highways, are frequently used to deliver livestock. I would say at all hours of every day you can expect to see semi drivers delivering livestock somewhere.

This case leaves me scratching my head. I'm truly perplexed on what could've happened to this man. Without alot of information to go on or an official timeline from LE, idk what else can really be said but theorizing. The only scenarios that make sense in my mind:
1) He was taken due to a debt owed. What that debt is, who knows. His wife had said David wasn't involved in drugs but alot of people hide drug use from family and friends. I'm pretty certain this wasn't a robbery, his wallet was still in the truck. I also do not think this was an abduction/kidnap for ransom.

2) He walked away. I don't think this is what happened. Just spitballing.

3) I hate suggesting this but anything is possible...murder for hire. I think this theory and the walk away theory is the least likely thing that happened.

I do wonder about David not giving his son, Joseph, a kiss and a hug as he was leaving. It would be useful to know if that was a common occurence, or if it was something unusual which only happened on this particular day.

I don't know if this applies to David. I hope it doesn't. However, a person who was planning to walk away might be able to give their wife and step-grandchild a kiss and a hug, yet not be able to handle saying goodbye to their own child. They might have to run out of the door before anything made them change their mind.

United Cajun Navy had volunteered to take over the search to allow law enforcement to focus on the investigation, Rowley said, but he hopes to see more from Iowa DCI and other investigators.

“Maybe they’re doing a bunch on the computers, but they’re just not really active in the scenario,” Rowley said. “An organization the size of DCI should be able to come in and make a splash, in my opinion.”

This case leaves me scratching my head. I'm truly perplexed on what could've happened to this man. Without alot of information to go on or an official timeline from LE, idk what else can really be said but theorizing. The only scenarios that make sense in my mind:
1) He was taken due to a debt owed. What that debt is, who knows. His wife had said David
1) He was taken due to a debt owed. What that debt is, who knows. His wife had said David wasn't involved in drugs but alot of people hide drug use from family and friends. I'm pretty certain this wasn't a robbery, his wallet was still in the truck. I also do not think this was an abduction/kidnap for ransom.

3) I hate suggesting this but anything is possible...murder for hire. I think this theory and the walk away theory is the least likely thing that happened.

wasn't involved in drugs but alot of people hide drug use from family and friends. I'm pretty certain this wasn't a robbery, his wallet was still in the truck. I also do not think this was an abduction/kidnap for ransom.

3) I hate suggesting this but anything is possible...murder for hire. I think this theory and the walk away theory is the least likely thing

Anything is possible. And there are so many things that seem “off” to me.

I do wonder about David not giving his son, Joseph, a kiss and a hug as he was leaving. It would be useful to know if that was a common occurence, or if it was something unusual which only happened on this particular day.

I don't know if this applies to David. I hope it doesn't. However, a person who was planning to walk away might be able to give their wife and step-grandchild a kiss and a hug, yet not be able to handle saying goodbye to their own child. They might have to run out of the door before anything made them change their mind.
Good point. I too would like to know if this was a common occurrence or not.

Twins can have very different personality. One may be more needy than the other. One may want a kiss goodbye (every time), while the other may not. The whole kiss episode could have been nothing more than just banter between the less needy twin and his father, more or less in a teasing nature saying "what about me".

JMO

This case leaves me scratching my head.

RSBM - This is a possibility. I have often thought that IF Henry Tenon hadn't left the tire in the middle of the road, would anyone know why Jared Bridegan stopped? That tire was a huge clue!

Is there something that made him stop in the middle of the road?

RSBM - This is a possibility. I have often thought that IF Henry Tenon hadn't left the tire in the middle of the road, would anyone know why Jared Bridegan stopped? That tire was a huge clue!

Is there something that made him stop in the middle of the road?
The bigger question is why is the truck on that road to begin with.

If David made a wrong turn, he surely wouldn't have driven four miles before turning around, when there were places he could have turned around before where the truck was found.

JMO

The bigger question is why is the truck on that road to begin with.

If David made a wrong turn, he surely wouldn't have driven four miles before turning around, when there were places he could have turned around before where the truck was found.

JMO
Someone in the truck with him telling/ordering him where to drive. Coming across a stranded vehicle, not stranded at all, but part of the plan?? Just a theory. I probably watch too many reality crime shows.

If a targeted hit or a pre-planned disappearance there could be many possible scenarios. A person may have hidden in his sleeper during loading and had a gun trained on him during his trip. He was ordered where to go and where to stop. Once stopped jacket tossed into the ditch or lost during a scuffle while being transferred to another vehicle by kidnappers or someone assisting him to disappear.

Perhaps he did in fact make it to the destination, something went down there and someone else ditched the truck? Left the livestock in the truck as-is to make it seem like he had not made it to destination yet?

something similar happened not too long ago when Garland Nelson killed 2 men at his farm and ditched their truck..

Someone in the truck with him telling/ordering him where to drive. Coming across a stranded vehicle, not stranded at all, but part of the plan?? Just a theory. I probably watch too many reality crime shows.
Unless the stranded car was before the Hwy 20 and Hwy 71 South interchange, it doesn't fit into the explanation as to why the truck was found on a road David shouldn't have been on.

It is possible David stopped along Hwy 20 after departing Sparky's for what he thought was a disabled motorist. But what's the motive of kidnapping David and hijacking his truck? Wasn't to rob him, wasn't to steal his truck. If all someone wanted was David, why not just make him get into their vehicle and leave David's truck sitting along Hwy 20?

The only explanation I can come up with would be if David was maybe giving who he thought was a stranded motorist a ride somewhere to get help. But was then over taken and ordered to drive north to where the truck was found. Which would mean someone else was involved because they would have needed to follow with the vehicle to get away from the area where the truck was found. But why drive four miles up that road? That's a long ways to go. Why not just tell David to stop soon after turning north? If someone was just wanting to hide the truck, I doubt they would have driven that far and then parked smack dab in the middle of the road.

Someone getting into that truck is more likely to get caught leaving behind DNA or fingerprint evidence too. So leaving the truck parked along Hwy 20 would have made more sense if this was a more sophisticated criminal. Which there are not many of them.

JMO

Any scenario involving somebody else driving the truck, at any point, doesn't feel right to me. JMO. I believe the truck ended up where it did because DS drove it there intentionally, which is why I still question the actual delivery location, or if maybe there were other intended stops we aren't aware of. Nothing nefarious, just unknown facts. And he WAS 1/4 mile from a pig farm...

I can't get past them saying the search dogs were unable to track DS past the road/coat. What would make DS stop the truck, middle of the road, turn it off (if we believe the reports it was off), leave all his personal belongings in the cab, and get out holding his coat (or wearing it)? Whatever happened to cause him to stop also likely caused his scent trail to end right there on the road and his coat end up in the ditch. JMO, and I think that is suspicious. If he'd just got out to help somebody, I don't think he would have turned off the truck. So, did somebody tell him to turn off the truck?

If that nearby pig farm was to be a stop for DS, then it seems he might have been intercepted right before, which sort of suggests somebody knew he'd be there that night. IDK. Just more random thoughts.

I grew up in Western Iowa, and I spent lots of time in the summers with my grandfather who drove a truck hauling grain and livestock. My father worked on a hog confinement for few years and during the summers I frequently tagged along with him. There are a few topics that I have seen here that stand out to me.

But first, here is a little bit of background about hog confinements. This may not all be correct for each operation, but this is how the ones I've experienced work:

- Farrowing Barns -- This is where the piglets are still with their mother. They are not weaned yet and they piglets are still very small.

- Starter Barns -- The first barn they are moved to after they are weaned from their mothers. They are roughly 15lbs and moving them is still fairly easy.

- Finishing Barns -- Depending on the size of the operation there may be another barn between the starter and finishing barns, but this is where the hogs go to get up to weight before they are sent to the processing plant. Moving them at this stage is most difficult because they weigh 250+ pounds, they are physically strong, and most of them are cranky from living in a pen with a bunch of slobs. There are always some sweethearts in the building that are friendly and get moved to a pen to get spoiled, but that's not relevant here XD.

Topics of concern:

1. He may not have needed coveralls. His coveralls and boots missing from the truck may or may not be a big deal. I haven't seen if the barn he was picking up from was a Farrowing barn or a Starter barn. The farrowing barns don't really require coveralls since the piglets are still so small. At this point, the boots are to keep poop off and to keep from getting bit. Farrowing and Starter barns are not nearly as dangerous as Finishing barns, but I wouldn't say that moving hogs from Starter > Finishing barns is not overly dangerous. Most confinements have a hose just outside the door so boots can be sprayed off. He may have chosen to not wear coveralls, and he may have just sprayed off his boots and hopped into the cab of the truck because he was in a hurry. Not uncommon. With that being said, if he did wear coveralls and boots then that is concerning because from what I know they have not been recovered. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

2. Someone should have been waiting. When moving livestock there is typically a lot of communication between the driver and whoever is receiving the load. I remember many late nights in the summer waiting for a driver to show up to pick up or drop off a load. Someone should have been waiting for him to arrive at their facility with the piglets. I don't know of any operations that would just allow the driver to unload the hogs without any assistance from staff. There is a bit of work involved with this process, unless the facility had some type of overnight holding pen, which I have never seen. However, that does not mean they don't exist.

3. Driving a semi-truck is not easy. A semi for hauling livestock is not something just anybody can hop in and operate. I can slowly move one down the road if needed, but progressing through the gears takes a bit of practice. If someone did move his truck they most likely have experience driving a rig.

4. Lagoons. Most large confinement operations have holding ponds, or lagoons, that hold the waste produced by the hogs in the buildings. In the spring, the lagoons are pumped out and tilled into the surrounding fields for fertilizer. In my experience, there is almost always a collection of dead animals that wandered to close to the edge and slid down into the lagoon. The lagoons are lined with tarps that are slippery and make it nearly impossible to climb out. I would imagine that searching those lagoons at this time of year would be nearly impossible due to the amount of waste and the thickness of the half frozen poop slurry. The farmer won't want to pump the lagoons dry at this time of year, lest they waste a lot of money and fertilizer for the upcoming spring.

5. Drugs. I know that DS does not have a reputation for drug use, and I hate making assumptions, but Meth is very prevalent here in the trucking industry. I would say the vast majority of truck drivers DO NOT use, but it would not surprise anyone around here to find out that a truck driver was using. It can be out of the body and undetected by testing within a couple days which makes it the safest option if subject to random DOT testing. If he was working all hours of the night after a full day of working, that seems a little methy to me. My old man used for most of my childhood. Doing drugs doesn't mean that anything bad should happen to the user, but that crowd of people can be extremely unpredictable and desperate.

I am just as flabbergasted as everyone else here; but if I were an investigator with no leads I would focus on his coveralls/boots, find the people at the barns that can drive a big rig, search the lagoons, and try to verify no history of meth use.

This is all JMO.

I grew up in Western Iowa, and I spent lots of time in the summers with my grandfather who drove a truck hauling grain and livestock. My father worked on a hog confinement for few years and during the summers I frequently tagged along with him. There are a few topics that I have seen here that stand out to me.

But first, here is a little bit of background about hog confinements. This may not all be correct for each operation, but this is how the ones I've experienced work:

- Farrowing Barns -- This is where the piglets are still with their mother. They are not weaned yet and they piglets are still very small.

- Starter Barns -- The first barn they are moved to after they are weaned from their mothers. They are roughly 15lbs and moving them is still fairly easy.

- Finishing Barns -- Depending on the size of the operation there may be another barn between the starter and finishing barns, but this is where the hogs go to get up to weight before they are sent to the processing plant. Moving them at this stage is most difficult because they weigh 250+ pounds, they are physically strong, and most of them are cranky from living in a pen with a bunch of slobs. There are always some sweethearts in the building that are friendly and get moved to a pen to get spoiled, but that's not relevant here XD.

Topics of concern:

1. He may not have needed coveralls. His coveralls and boots missing from the truck may or may not be a big deal. I haven't seen if the barn he was picking up from was a Farrowing barn or a Starter barn. The farrowing barns don't really require coveralls since the piglets are still so small. At this point, the boots are to keep poop off and to keep from getting bit. Farrowing and Starter barns are not nearly as dangerous as Finishing barns, but I wouldn't say that moving hogs from Starter > Finishing barns is not overly dangerous. Most confinements have a hose just outside the door so boots can be sprayed off. He may have chosen to not wear coveralls, and he may have just sprayed off his boots and hopped into the cab of the truck because he was in a hurry. Not uncommon. With that being said, if he did wear coveralls and boots then that is concerning because from what I know they have not been recovered. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

2. Someone should have been waiting. When moving livestock there is typically a lot of communication between the driver and whoever is receiving the load. I remember many late nights in the summer waiting for a driver to show up to pick up or drop off a load. Someone should have been waiting for him to arrive at their facility with the piglets. I don't know of any operations that would just allow the driver to unload the hogs without any assistance from staff. There is a bit of work involved with this process, unless the facility had some type of overnight holding pen, which I have never seen. However, that does not mean they don't exist.

3. Driving a semi-truck is not easy. A semi for hauling livestock is not something just anybody can hop in and operate. I can slowly move one down the road if needed, but progressing through the gears takes a bit of practice. If someone did move his truck they most likely have experience driving a rig.

4. Lagoons. Most large confinement operations have holding ponds, or lagoons, that hold the waste produced by the hogs in the buildings. In the spring, the lagoons are pumped out and tilled into the surrounding fields for fertilizer. In my experience, there is almost always a collection of dead animals that wandered to close to the edge and slid down into the lagoon. The lagoons are lined with tarps that are slippery and make it nearly impossible to climb out. I would imagine that searching those lagoons at this time of year would be nearly impossible due to the amount of waste and the thickness of the half frozen poop slurry. The farmer won't want to pump the lagoons dry at this time of year, lest they waste a lot of money and fertilizer for the upcoming spring.

5. Drugs. I know that DS does not have a reputation for drug use, and I hate making assumptions, but Meth is very prevalent here in the trucking industry. I would say the vast majority of truck drivers DO NOT use, but it would not surprise anyone around here to find out that a truck driver was using. It can be out of the body and undetected by testing within a couple days which makes it the safest option if subject to random DOT testing. If he was working all hours of the night after a full day of working, that seems a little methy to me. My old man used for most of my childhood. Doing drugs doesn't mean that anything bad should happen to the user, but that crowd of people can be extremely unpredictable and desperate.

I am just as flabbergasted as everyone else here; but if I were an investigator with no leads I would focus on his coveralls/boots, find the people at the barns that can drive a big rig, search the lagoons, and try to verify no history of meth use.

This is all JMO.
Thank you so much for your firsthand input!

Topics of concern:

This is all JMO.
Would you say most rigs are still manual transmission and require changing gears and are not automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvfire1018