GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems her parents reported her missing quickly, not longer than an hour and fifteen minutes after she was last seen.

"WATSON — Agencies poured in Sunday to search for a girl who has been missing since this morning.

Effingham County Sheriff's Department, along with Effingham police and fire departments, Watson, Altamont and Arcola fire departments, Illinois State Police and Homeland Security were helping search for 7-year-old Willow Long of Watson, who was reported missing by her parents at about 10:15 a.m. They believed she disappeared between 9 and 10:15 a.m., probably walking away from the family home."

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local/x250210087/sthash.JGJxo5L8.dpuf

It seems her parents reported her missing quickly, not longer than an hour and fifteen minutes after she was last seen.

Umm... I wonder what last nights activities were? Did they go out? Stay in for football? Anyone over this morning? Last night? Any siblings? Hmmm....

So hate seeing these threads :( Praying Willow is found safe and soon!

It seems odd that no one saw her at that hour unless she went straight into a cornfield.

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local/x250210087/Police-search-for-missing-Watson-girl

Homeland Security? Is that unusual? They are sure not taking this lightly and thank goodness for that! No one is going to be able to say they delayed or cut corners in searching for Willow.

I feel like it's unusual for a case where a child wandered out of the home. But if they believe a child was taken by someone? IDK. Anyone know any recent cases where Homeland Security was involved?

The magnitude of the response and resources is almost, can't find the word...suspicious? I mean, this is absolutely wonderful, but seems like more than the usual, and so quick, especially on a Sunday...Hoping they are just really on top of it, being thorough and there is nothing else here, KWIM?

Just saying ditto to the comments that most kids this age are embarrassed to go out in pajamas/long shirt/no shorts/whatever it's assumed she was wearing. I have two 7 y/o boys who are mortified to go out in pajamas that look like clothes.

She looks so small and innocent. I can't imagine at this age that a child would be voluntarily missing for this long. Maybe for 10 minutes if she was upset but... Hoping that the super fast response from LE = fast and safe recovery.

Grateful that the weather is good...this is a really huge blessing right now!

The magnitude of the response and resources is almost, can't find the word...suspicious? I mean, this is absolutely wonderful, but seems like more than the usual, and so quick, especially on a Sunday...Hoping they are just really on top of it, being thorough and there is nothing else here, KWIM?

Yeah, it seems like the type of response we see when they feel pretty certain the child was abducted, like the Jessica Ridgeway case.

However, she was reported missing at 10:15 AM but it didn't hit the media until the evening, right?

Just saying ditto to the comments that most kids this age are embarrassed to go out in pajamas/long shirt/no shorts/whatever it's assumed she was wearing. I have two 7 y/o boys who are mortified to go out in pajamas that look like clothes.

She looks so small and innocent. I can't imagine at this age that a child would be voluntarily missing for this long. Maybe for 10 minutes if she was upset but... Hoping that the super fast response from LE = fast and safe recovery.

BBM. I think kids and their attitudes towards clothes varies. My children have never enjoyed clothing...Until my daughter was 6 she "had" to remove all her clothing to go to the bathroom. That was fun in restaurants when she would stroll out with clothes in hand...LOL. My niece is 8 and if it is up to her she will run around the house in panties and a t-shirt. But, she was raised near the ocean. It all depends on the family, people, geographical location, etc.

Willow is tiny if the information is right. News reports says she is 3'10''-4'00 and 40 lbs. She is super petite. Hope they find you soon little one.

Yeah, it seems like the type of response we see when they feel pretty certain the child was abducted, like the Jessica Ridgeway case.

However, she was reported missing at 10:15 AM but it didn't hit the media until the evening, right?

Bingo. Exactly.

Gosh, I hope this isn't the case and they are just really really really together up there. Because right now, its appearing to me that they might poooosibly know something we don't. Hoping to God no clothing items, etc have been found.

Still having a hard time wrapping my head around how small this town is.. 1.12 square miles. The nearest city with a population over 50,000 is Decatur, IL which is over an hour and half away.

One really good thing about small towns are that everyone usually knows everyone (and their business, and their cousin's business, etc). And, by the looks of it, most of the town turned up to search for her!

Story.jpg

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/sto...ho-disappeared/d/story/2g-izRVgqkOTslOxmBWMJw

"WATSON — Agencies poured in Sunday to search for a girl who has been missing since this morning.

Effingham County Sheriff's Department, along with Effingham police and fire departments, Watson, Altamont and Arcola fire departments, Illinois State Police and Homeland Security were helping search for 7-year-old Willow Long of Watson, who was reported missing by her parents at about 10:15 a.m. They believed she disappeared between 9 and 10:15 a.m., probably walking away from the family home."

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local/x250210087/sthash.JGJxo5L8.dpuf

Bbm--I hope this is just a reporting discrepancy, but "probably walking away from the family home" sounds way different to me than "stormed off after an argument with her mother."

I have a seven year old. If she stormed off, and I couldn't find her after 15 minutes, I would probably be calling 911 for help too. Jmo.

More than one recent case comes to mind to make me pray they have checked every car and it's trunk in the area :(

Come home, baby.

"Effingham County Sheriff John Monnet said, “We don’t feel there’s foul play, that she just walked off. We’re gonna continue until we find her”. The Sheriff said, however, “it’s been quite a time since she’s been missing, and time is not a good thing.” Monnet said Willow’s mother Cierra Deryke was feeling ill, and was in bed. She got up once to check on Willow and her 3-year old brother, and they were watching TV. She got up later and Willow was gone."

http://highlighthollywood.com/2013/...-agencies-searching-highlight-hollywood-news/
Not sure if this is an allowable source. Mods please delete, if not ok. Thank you.

LE in this article states that they do not think foul play is involved. Oddly, circumstances prior to disappearance are different in this article. There is always so much confusion in the beginning.

I have a six and seven year old and I just can't imagine either one of them leaving the house and walking off after an argument....

We are either missing some information, or there is something wrong with the story. A six or seven year old isn't likely going to stomp out of the house ... probably isn't going to "have an argument with her mom" and even if both were true, the mom wouldn't let such a young child just stomp off, nor fail to check up on her more than once in a hour and a half.

Maybe a six or seven year old would be saucy to her mom, get set to her room and escape w/o her parents' knowledge. Even so, if the kids are quiet, a parent will assume that they are getting into mischief and will check to see what's up.

But for now, I'll assume that the story of what happen was just badly worded by the press.

My guess would be involving so many entities might be due to harvest season and many transient/temporary workers in the area? Perhaps there have been other incidents in the community we are unaware of.

BTW: My comment about workers is not related to ethnicity, culture, or race; it is more geo-political and socioeconomics related to harvest season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CriminalPineapple