Recovered/Located Irving Newman, Sergeant, US Army Air Force, KIA in WW II, Identified

Richard

Reaction score
A US Army Air Force Sergeant and crewmember on a B-24 Bomber lost in 1943 off the coast of Malta during World War II has been recovered from the wreckage and positively identified as Irving Newman, of Los Angeles, California.

Take to the air in the legendary B-24 Liberator - American Airpower ...
B-24 Liberator Bomber

A group of skilled archaeological divers recently made a significant discovery of human remains. The remains were found at the site of a crashed U.S. WWII bomber, which sunk near the picturesque Mediterranean island of Malta back in May of 1943. The find is of great historical importance and will likely offer new insights into the events surrounding the crash.

Air Force Sgt. Irving Newman of Los Angeles, involved in bombing the Reggio di Calabria harbor in Sicily in 1943 as part of a 10-man crew on a B-24 Liberator plane, was identified by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) as the retrieved body.

After experiencing engine trouble during the mission, Newman's bomber headed towards Malta, a designated emergency landing site for troubled aircraft. However, the bomber lost power and caught fire as it neared the island. Nine crew members survived the crash landing on the water's surface. They attempted to rescue Newman, who had been wounded by anti-aircraft fire, but the aircraft sank within a few minutes, taking Newman with it.

"While heading to the target, their plane began experiencing engine trouble, forcing the pilots to make a course correction away from the main bomber group, directly into enemy anti-aircraft fire," the DPAA said. "During an emergency landing, the plane caught fire and crashed into the water near Benghajsa Point, Malta."

The plane flipped upside down after its wheels hit the surface. The tail sank before the nose. The wreck now rests one mile off Malta's southernmost point at a depth of 190 feet.

The University of Malta searched for the submerged bomber wreck in 2015 working from reports of the 1943 crash.

The wreck was located in 2016 using side-scan sonar to create an image of the seafloor. It was then mapped with sonar on an autonomous underwater vehicle, and detailed 3D models were created using photogrammetric images.

Divers recovered human remains, life support equipment and other items from the crash site. DPAA later identified the remains as Newman's.

The excavation​

Timmy Gambin, a maritime archaeologist at the University of Malta, led the dive recovery team, sharing with Live Science that it was a challenge to deep dive to the site. To overcome, the crew used a combination of breathing gases with higher levels of helium and oxygen and "rebreather" technology that recycles gases.

The scuba diving site was quite deep, so the recovery team utilized advanced breathing gases with higher levels of helium and oxygen, along with "rebreather" technology that recycles gases and removes carbon dioxide. Despite these measures, they were only able to work on the wreck for 45 minutes per day, and it took two months of diving (one in 2022 and another in 2023) to recover Newman's remains, according to Gambin's interview with Live Science...

..."The entire time we were working, the whole team wanted to go the extra mile to bring this boy home," Gambin told the Times of Malta. "I cannot overemphasize what it meant to every single one of them."

The DPAA has not yet determined the time and place of Newman's burial. No photo of Newman was provided...

LINK:

SGT Irving R Newman WW II VETERAN

BIRTH 4 Jul 1920
Los Angeles County, California, USA
DEATH 6 May 1943 (aged 22) Malta

PRESS RELEASE | Aug. 31, 2023
Airman Accounted for from WWII (Newman, I.)
WASHINGTON –
The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) announced today that U.S. Army Air Forces Sergeant Irving R. Newman, 22, of Los Angeles, California, missing in action during World War II, was accounted for June 20, 2023.

In May 1943, Newman was assigned to the 343d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 98th Bombardment Group (Heavy), 9th Air Force, in the European Theater. On May 6, Newman along with the other nine crewmembers of a B-24D Liberator were participating in a bombing mission of Reggio di Calabria harbor, in Sicily. While heading to the target, their plane began experiencing engine trouble forcing the pilots to make a course correction away from the main bomber group, directly into enemy anti-aircraft fire. During an emergency landing the plane caught fire and crashed into the water near Benghajsa Point, Malta, injuring at least five crewmembers. Nine airmen survived the incident, but Sgt Newman was not able to be rescued and his remains were not recovered following the war.

Following the war, the American Graves Registration Command (AGRC), Army Quartermaster Corps, was the organization tasked with recovering missing American personnel in the European Theater. In 1949, a board of officers reviewed the AGRS field investigations for 82 personnel missing from the Mediterranean area, including Sgt Newman. The board recommended the individuals be designated non-recoverable. The Identification Branch of the Office of the Quartermaster General approved the recommendation on 6 September 1949.

In recent years, the University of Malta and a private company located the wreckage of a B-24D near Benghajsa Point, Malta, at a depth of 180 feet. Beginning in 2018, a partner organization supported by DPAA archaeology recovered material evidence, life support equipment, and suspected human remains from this crash site.

To identify Newman's remains, scientists from DPAA used anthropological analysis. Additionally, scientists from the Armed Forces Medical Examiner System used mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) and dental analysis.

Newman's name is recorded on the Tablets of the Missing at Sicily-Rome American Cemetery an American Battle Monuments Commission site in Impruneta, Italy, along with others still missing from WWII. A rosette will be placed next to his name to indicate he has been accounted for.

Newman will be buried at a place and time to be determined later.

For family and funeral information, contact the Army Casualty Office at (800) 892-2490.

LINK:

SGT Irving R Newman WW II VETERAN

BIRTH 4 Jul 1920
Los Angeles County, California, USA
DEATH 6 May 1943 (aged 22) Malta

WASHINGTON –
The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) announced today that U.S. Army Air Forces Sergeant Irving R. Newman, 22, of Los Angeles, California, missing in action during World War II, was accounted for June 20, 2023.

In May 1943, Newman was assigned to the 343d Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 98th Bombardment Group (Heavy), 9th Air Force, in the European Theater. On May 6, Newman along with the other nine crewmembers of a B-24D Liberator were participating in a bombing mission of Reggio di Calabria harbor, in Sicily. While heading to the target, their plane began experiencing engine trouble forcing the pilots to make a course correction away from the main bomber group, directly into enemy anti-aircraft fire. During an emergency landing the plane caught fire and crashed into the water near Benghajsa Point, Malta, injuring at least five crewmembers. Nine airmen survived the incident, but Sgt Newman was not able to be rescued and his remains were not recovered following the war.

Following the war, the American Graves Registration Command (AGRC), Army Quartermaster Corps, was the organization tasked with recovering missing American personnel in the European Theater. In 1949, a board of officers reviewed the AGRS field investigations for 82 personnel missing from the Mediterranean area, including Sgt Newman. The board recommended the individuals be designated non-recoverable. The Identification Branch of the Office of the Quartermaster General approved the recommendation on 6 September 1949.

In recent years, the University of Malta and a private company located the wreckage of a B-24D near Benghajsa Point, Malta, at a depth of 180 feet. Beginning in 2018, a partner organization supported by DPAA archaeology recovered material evidence, life support equipment, and suspected human remains from this crash site.

To identify Newman's remains, scientists from DPAA used anthropological analysis. Additionally, scientists from the Armed Forces Medical Examiner System used mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) and dental analysis.

Newman's name is recorded on the Tablets of the Missing at Sicily-Rome American Cemetery an American Battle Monuments Commission site in Impruneta, Italy, along with others still missing from WWII. A rosette will be placed next to his name to indicate he has been accounted for.

For family and funeral information, contact the Army Casualty Office at (800) 892-2490.

LINK:

I wonder if there is any biological family left, his military family tho, we are all here and are grateful for his return.

I have a relative whose B-24 crashed into the English Channel in 1944. They were returning from a mission. There were no survivors. From what I understand, it’s very difficult to dive in the area. Nonetheless, I’ve always hoped the wreckage would be found.

The B-24 was noted as a plane that often flipped in a water ditching, with many casualties when an emergency landing was tried on a body of water.

If they used mtDNA to identify him, they must have a source of comparison.

I checked My Heritage, and he had 3 brothers. I believe they have descendant.
I found this site while randomly searching for Irving R. Newman articles, etc.

I am related to Irving through his mother.

On FamilySearch.org, you can find Sgt. Irving R Newman, ID is LDR5-QRX.

Ed

If they used mtDNA to identify him, they must have a source of comparison.

I checked My Heritage, and he had 3 brothers. I believe they have descendant.
They wouldn’t have been able to identify him through his brother's descendants using mtDNA, but they could have used a sister's children, a sister's daughter's children, a maternal aunt's children, a maternal aunt's daughter's children, etc. In humans mtDNA is handed down only by mothers.

And of course they might have eventually been able to extract Y chromosome DNA or other nuclear DNA.

They wouldn’t have been able to identify him through his brother's descendants using mtDNA, but they could have used a sister's children, a sister's daughter's children, a maternal aunt's children, a maternal aunt's daughter's children, etc. In humans mtDNA is handed down only by mothers.

And of course they might have eventually been able to extract Y chromosome DNA or other nuclear DNA.
The investigators used mtDNA tests as part of the confirmation process. Those tested included two male descendants of his maternal aunt's daughter's children.

SGT Irving R Newman VETERAN

BIRTH 4 Jul 1920, Los Angeles County, California, USA
DEATH 6 May 1943 (aged 22), Malta
Memorial Sicily-Rome American Cemetery and Memorial, Tablets of the Missing (Recovered)

WASHINGTON –

LINK:

The investigators used mtDNA tests as part of the confirmation process. Those tested included two male descendants of his maternal aunt's daughter's children.

so glad your family member was recovered
do you know if any celebration of life ceremonies will be held?

so glad your family member was recovered
do you know if any celebration of life ceremonies will be held?
We are getting closer to the requested date, but it is not official yet. Cherry blossoms should be blooming in the DC area...

Our common ancestral family lived in Philadelphia, in a row house with other Jewish immigrant families near the Delaware River. Four children were born in Russia (maybe Odessa) and came with the family in 1892. The number of children grew to 11.

Irving's parents had one child on the East Coast, before moving to LA. Until this case found me, I did not know much about Irving's family because of the distance.

I hope that is not too much additional info.

We are getting closer to the requested date, but it is not official yet. Cherry blossoms should be blooming in the DC area...

Our common ancestral family lived in Philadelphia, in a row house with other Jewish immigrant families near the Delaware River. Four children were born in Russia (maybe Odessa) and came with the family in 1892. The number of children grew to 11.

Irving's parents had one child on the East Coast, before moving to LA. Until this case found me, I did not know much about Irving's family because of the distance.

I hope that is not too much additional info.

not at all I find it really interesting
and now your ancestor will have a proper sending off

Thank you, everyone.
Here is an article with pictures of the funeral service:
Army Air Forces sergeant, killed during WWII, buried with full military honors at Arlington Cemetery
STARS AND STRIPES • April 11, 2024

Thank you, everyone.
Here is an article with pictures of the funeral service:
Army Air Forces sergeant, killed during WWII, buried with full military honors at Arlington Cemetery
STARS AND STRIPES • April 11, 2024
Happy he finally is home. May his neshama have an aliya.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aprilssister94
Back