Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.27.17 - Day 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunch was starting late and then more legal arguments, so the rest of the day was basically filled.

ETA: That phrasing, "perhaps", leads me to believe that maybe the issue they were dealing with this afternoon was about whether or not to allow Millard to present certain evidence. "Perhaps" we'll hear more tomorrow.

I think the legal arguments have to do with the "air of reality" test. DM can't just get up there and present some fable, with a lack of reasonable evidence. I wish I could make it to court to listen in on what BS he's trying to spew.

What the hell did Dungey get paid for anyway? I feel like if he wasn't there MS' fate would be identical..

A good lawyer will know when to speak up and know when to keep quite. I think Dungey is doing an excellent job, sensing the evidence against his client is weak, he was kept quite and let the court focus its attention on Millard. Its called strategy. When the jury goes back to deliberate on Smich, half the members are going to say "Who?".

A good lawyer will know when to speak up and know when to keep quite. I think Dungey is doing an excellent job, sensing the evidence against his client is weak, he was kept quite and let the court focus its attention on Millard. Its called strategy. When the jury goes back to deliberate on Smich, half the members are going to say "Who?".

Yes, Dungey has been quite quiet. :) "Drawing from my fine command of the english language, I have chosen to say nothing"

Reading time lines and texts again...Feb. 29th seems to underline MS role for DM. Unfortunately we only see D's exchange.

Not sure where this super tired defense is going, but here are some activity descriptions from CN on DM's normal activity. All taken from her time on the stand in the TB case where tired was not a factor

"They just seemed to be friends, smoked a lot of dope together, just hung out, played video games, tried to focus on Mark's rap career, regular guy stuff," Noudga says about Millard and Smich."

'"They would get together and do a lot of household tasks ... Dell would do household renovations, Mark would help out with that," Noudga says.'

"She says she'd stay over at one of Millard's properties about five to seven times a week."

'One text from Millard reads: "Im on my way to a mission now. if it's a flop I'll be done in 2 hrs. If it goes.. it'll be an all night." She responds: "So you finish?" He says "gonna be an all nighter."'

"At one point, she says "Are you free tonight?" He responds: "nope, but tomorrow night I am. Had a nice 5 hr nap & bath, refreshed and ready for the net stage of mission digestion."

IIRC, she also mentioned that the "tiny" mission her and DM ran the night of May 9th was typical, as they did much activity at night.

MOO

Looking at Swedie's list of witnesses (post #174), I still can't understand why so much time was spent on the mattress and not followed through. I wonder if this extract from J Villada's testimony at the TB trial might be used by DM:
Court now seeing photos of the trailer in which Bosma's truck was found. There is a couch and some mattresses in the back of the trailer. "These are things that Dellen gave us - a present to one of my brothers"
There are a few other interesting snippets in his statement such as using WM's credit cards on a road trip in Feb 2013.

All this speculation on Smich's lawyer situation is pointless because the possibilities are endless. Yes, Smich likely does qualify for legal aid, but his father appears to make a good living as a professional engineer. I'm sure his dad would do whatever it takes to ensure that Mark is one day a free man. Dungey on the other hand is benefitting from this case. It is high profile, which means Dungey's name will likely be recognized for decades to come. You can't buy that kind of advertising, so there is a good chance that Dungey is working at a reduced rate, possibly taking legal aid and money from Smich's dad. He could also be working pro-bono, again, building his firms reputation. These high profile cases come along only once in a blue moon and I'm sure that lawyers are lined up out the door to represent guys like this.

TD seems to be in the range of around 70 years old, having been a lawyer practicing criminal law for some 45 years. From what I can find, he has a staff of 'one', and his business address seems to be a residential address (his?). I could see wanting to build reputation for a large, or a young firm. It looks to me like he is a legal aid lawyer who likely spends most days at the courts. Perhaps MS knew him from previous charges/convictions? In any case, however he managed to do so, MS was fortunate to get TD. Interesting when I google TD, a photo of Paradkar comes up? moo

Not sure where this super tired defense is going, but here are some activity descriptions from CN on DM's normal activity. All taken from her time on the stand in the TB case where tired was not a factor

"They just seemed to be friends, smoked a lot of dope together, just hung out, played video games, tried to focus on Mark's rap career, regular guy stuff," Noudga says about Millard and Smich."

'"They would get together and do a lot of household tasks ... Dell would do household renovations, Mark would help out with that," Noudga says.'

"She says she'd stay over at one of Millard's properties about five to seven times a week."

'One text from Millard reads: "Im on my way to a mission now. if it's a flop I'll be done in 2 hrs. If it goes.. it'll be an all night." She responds: "So you finish?" He says "gonna be an all nighter."'

"At one point, she says "Are you free tonight?" He responds: "nope, but tomorrow night I am. Had a nice 5 hr nap & bath, refreshed and ready for the net stage of mission digestion."

IIRC, she also mentioned that the "tiny" mission her and DM ran the night of May 9th was typical, as they did much activity at night.

MOO
Bit off topic but was there any discussion as to why DM took CN on the tiny mission and not MS? Was he trying to incriminate her just in case?

No new thread opened yet today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning! I'm here to tweet/blog today if I am needed :)

Good morning, we are standing by in the court room at the Laura Babcock murder trial. The jury is not in the room, as there are some legal discussions happening. I can begin blogging once the jury arrives.
by Shannon Martin 9:55 AM

Bit off topic but was there any discussion as to why DM took CN on the tiny mission and not MS? Was he trying to incriminate her just in case?

IIRC, she had been texting him that she wanted to see him. And DM most likely thought he could multi task. MOO

From this morning's post on yesterday's thread: (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Trial-11-27-17-Day-22&p=13778411#post13778411)
Looking at Swedie's list of witnesses (post #174), I still can't understand why so much time was spent on the mattress and not followed through. I wonder if this extract from J Villada's testimony at the TB trial might be used by DM:
Court now seeing photos of the trailer in which Bosma's truck was found. There is a couch and some mattresses in the back of the trailer. "These are things that Dellen gave us - a present to one of my brothers"
There are a few other interesting snippets in his statement such as using WM's credit cards on a road trip in Feb 2013.

The Crown presented evidence that a mattress was purchased by DM and that he had an apparent pressing need for a speedy delivery. There must not have been any other evidence to go along with it, or I'm sure the Crown would have presented it. It is just one more piece of circumstantial evidence to be considered in the 'whole picture'. Even if the mattress has nothing to do with LB's murder case, the timing is certainly unfortunate from DM's perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMK