MA MA - CHRISTINE HURLBURT, 16, murdered, Mountain Park, 6 Oct 1968

Richard

Reaction score
CHRISTINE HURLBURT
HURLBURT-PHOTO-FOR-WEBSITE-221x300.png

On October 6, 1968, Christine Hurlburt, age 16, was reported missing after not returning home from a dance at the Mountain Park Ballroom the night before. Her body was found in the Mountain Park area on October 12, 1968.

Those with information about this case please contact the State Police Detective Unit at 413-505-5941 or the State Police Unresolved Cases Unit at 1-855-MA-SOLVE (1-855-627-6583) or you can text the word Solve to 274637 from your cell phone.

LINK:
Unsolved Homicides | Hampden District Attorney

On Oct. 5, 1968, a Saturday night, Christine and a group of her friends were among over 800 persons present for a dance at the Mountain Park Ballroom, since destroyed by a fire. By 11 p.m. that night, her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Hurlburt of 245 Franklin Street, started to panic because their daughter had not arrived home.

Her disappearance was reported to the Holyoke Police Crime Prevention Bureau the next day, triggering an all out search...On Oct. 12, Christine’s lifeless body was found. The cause of death was listed as multiple blows to the head and strangulation. The teenager was found with a sweater around her neck and her blue blouse covering the lower parts of her body....

Her underwear was located a short distance from her head and she had been “criminally assaulted,” according to police. One of the factors that made the crime troubling as police sought a solution was the lack of a pinpointed time of death.

... police believed she was not killed where her body was found because groups of Mount Holyoke College students had been walking in that vicinity – on their annual leaf peeping trek – four days before the discovery of the murdered girl. It was thought that, if the body had been there, someone would have seen it.

...police ruled out Christine’s family members and friends after all passed lie detector tests they took voluntarily.

Once thought the most promising lead was the report of two men who were new to the weekly Mountain Park dances and were never seen before or after the night Christine disappeared. According to police, the pair – one in his mid 50s and the other in his mid 20s – bought tickets to get into the Oct. 5 dance. That was significant because it proved the men had no connection to the band and were not related to any person attending the dance as it was customary for family members or band officials to go into the ballroom for a short time without paying the admission price. The two men never were ruled out as suspects in Christine’s disappearance...

To provide information on this case, contact the Mass. State Police Detective Unit assigned to the Hampden County District Attorney’s Office at 413-505-5993.

Link:

All I want is closer for my mother who is the sister of Christine. And for me well it has sparked an interest in the dark and twisted and think if only I could solve this mystery maybe I wouldn’t be so dark and twisty myself

Welcome to Websleuths, and please accept my sincere condolences.

The key to learning more in an attempt to resolve this sad case is to ask questions. Asking the right questions of the right persons is what will bring answers concerning your Aunt Christine's death.

As a close relative, you could request access to police files and reports that others might not be able to see.

Welcome to Websleuths, and please accept my sincere condolences.

The key to learning more in an attempt to resolve this sad case is to ask questions. Asking the right questions of the right persons is what will bring answers concerning your Aunt Christine's death.

As a close relative, you could request access to police files and reports that others might not be able to see.
Hello, I am new to this site, I was and still am a admin for a FB on Holyoke. Christine's name popped on a feed recently, and I went back into messages and found something interesting. I snippet the conversation off FB. Not the best, but you can see the results. She never contacted me again. I thought if she contacted the police, I would have received a message on the website. Let me know it there is anything in the pics that might help. Thanks

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220616-203927_Messenger.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220616-203927_Messenger.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 70
  • SmartSelect_20220616-203941_Messenger.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220616-203941_Messenger.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 60
  • SmartSelect_20220616-204126_Messenger.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220616-204126_Messenger.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 50
  • SmartSelect_20220616-204147_Messenger.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220616-204147_Messenger.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 45
  • SmartSelect_20220616-204201_Messenger.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220616-204201_Messenger.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 49
  • SmartSelect_20220616-204225_Messenger.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220616-204225_Messenger.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 47
  • SmartSelect_20220616-204242_Messenger.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220616-204242_Messenger.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 67
Any Information on this unsolved case out of Holyoke Ma in October 1968 would be greatly appreciated. I filed a FOIA request for all case documents from FBI Boston division, Holyoke PD, MA State Police, and The District Attorneys Office. Any suggestions where else to look or any people you can put me in touch with are welcome <3 There is not information out there and this does not seem to be thoroughly investigated.

For instance - a new article states she had a disagreement and left the dance where she went missing but does not state who she had a disagreement with or if they were a person of interest. I also read about 2 men who attended the dance who normally did not go to the weekly dances. It seemed as if people were suspicious of them but they weren't mentioned again after that. I also read someone went to the DA with information about their family leaving Christine Hurlburts neighborhood in the middle of the night with only a few belongings. She thought her step dad might have been involved with this case but it looked like she didnt hear anything else regarding that.

Can anyone confirm or deny any of this information? :)

Hello, I am new to this site, I was and still am a admin for a FB on Holyoke. Christine's name popped on a feed recently, and I went back into messages and found something interesting. I snippet the conversation off FB. Not the best, but you can see the results. She never contacted me again. I thought if she contacted the police, I would have received a message on the website. Let me know it there is anything in the pics that might help. Thanks
Have you heard anything else regarding this? I filed a Freedom of Information Act Request today with the DA's office among other government/police agencies. This seems like a good place to start looking!!

Any Information on this unsolved case out of Holyoke Ma in October 1968 would be greatly appreciated. I filed a FOIA request for all case documents from FBI Boston division, Holyoke PD, MA State Police, and The District Attorneys Office. Any suggestions where else to look or any people you can put me in touch with are welcome <3 There is not information out there and this does not seem to be thoroughly investigated.

For instance - a new article states she had a disagreement and left the dance where she went missing but does not state who she had a disagreement with or if they were a person of interest. I also read about 2 men who attended the dance who normally did not go to the weekly dances. It seemed as if people were suspicious of them but they weren't mentioned again after that. I also read someone went to the DA with information about their family leaving Christine Hurlburts neighborhood in the middle of the night with only a few belongings. She thought her step dad might have been involved with this case but it looked like she didnt hear anything else regarding that.

Can anyone confirm or deny any of this information? :)
Contact me re: this case chiefbarry@gmail.com

From the article portion in post three, 800 people present at this dance and they could say that two men were suspicious because they were new to the dance? Supposedly 2 people out of 800 present were unconnected to anyone else at this dance, and they could say that in 1968 with no video or social media or anything? I bet tickets were sold cash without any real records.

From the article portion in post three, 800 people present at this dance and they could say that two men were suspicious because they were new to the dance? Supposedly 2 people out of 800 present were unconnected to anyone else at this dance, and they could say that in 1968 with no video or social media or anything? I bet tickets were sold cash without any real records.
I'd really like to know how they bought tickets but others didnt It would be wonderful if there was a record of attendees but youre right it is doubtful :(

I believe you are correct

On Oct. 5, 1968, a Saturday night, Christine and a group of her friends were among over 800 persons present for a dance at the Mountain Park Ballroom, since destroyed by a fire. By 11 p.m. that night, her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Hurlburt of 245 Franklin Street, started to panic because their daughter had not arrived home.

Her disappearance was reported to the Holyoke Police Crime Prevention Bureau the next day, triggering an all out search...On Oct. 12, Christine’s lifeless body was found. The cause of death was listed as multiple blows to the head and strangulation. The teenager was found with a sweater around her neck and her blue blouse covering the lower parts of her body....

Her underwear was located a short distance from her head and she had been “criminally assaulted,” according to police. One of the factors that made the crime troubling as police sought a solution was the lack of a pinpointed time of death.

... police believed she was not killed where her body was found because groups of Mount Holyoke College students had been walking in that vicinity – on their annual leaf peeping trek – four days before the discovery of the murdered girl. It was thought that, if the body had been there, someone would have seen it.

...police ruled out Christine’s family members and friends after all passed lie detector tests they took voluntarily.

Once thought the most promising lead was the report of two men who were new to the weekly Mountain Park dances and were never seen before or after the night Christine disappeared. According to police, the pair – one in his mid 50s and the other in his mid 20s – bought tickets to get into the Oct. 5 dance. That was significant because it proved the men had no connection to the band and were not related to any person attending the dance as it was customary for family members or band officials to go into the ballroom for a short time without paying the admission price. The two men never were ruled out as suspects in Christine’s disappearance...

To provide information on this case, contact the Mass. State Police Detective Unit assigned to the Hampden County District Attorney’s Office at 413-505-5993.

Link:

Richard are you Catherine’s ex-husband?

Christine Hurlburt
Christine Hurlburt, age 15
BIRTH 27 Dec 1952
Holyoke, Hampden County, Massachusetts, USA
DEATH 5 Oct 1968
Holyoke, Hampden County, Massachusetts, USA
BURIAL Saint Jerome CemeteryHolyoke, Hampden County, Massachusetts, USA
PLOT666

LINK:

Members online