CONVICTION OVERTURNED MD - Hae Min Lee, 17, Baltimore, 13 Jan 1999 #2

I know you do. I, however, do not. When you read everything it is clear he murdered Hae. Some say he has served enough time and was young when it occurred. I could get on board with that if he admitted his guilt. What burns my butt is how this has played out. All one needs to subvert justice is a loud-mouthed, relentless friend who is willing to lie and a States Attorney under indictment, looking to redirect public attention from her own trial.
I think you need to listen to the Truth & Justice Reply Brief series. It is a response to the prosecutors podcast. There is zero definitive evidence in the files that conclusive prove Adnan killed Hae. This is a pure conjecture case based on testimony from two know drug dealing liars, JW and JP, two corrupt detectives that have been exposed in three similar cases, M & R, and cell phone records that were overstated and not conclusive.

“This case is not about Mr. Syed’s underlying innocence or guilt. That dispute is simply not in the room today,” said Ari Rubin, an attorney for the Lee family, during Thursday’s arguments.

He said the issue at hand was whether the rights of Lee’s brother, Young Lee, were violated because he was unable to substantively participate in the process, which Rubin called extraordinary “in that it aligns the interests of the defendant and the state.” He argued victims and their attorneys should fulfill an adversarial role.

But several justices expressed skepticism about whether state law expressly spells out a victim’s right to be heard in such hearings where a conviction is vacated.

“Why isn’t this a question for the General Assembly? The right that you’re speaking of is not in the plain language of the statute,” said Judge Brynja Booth.

Some justices also questioned why the hearing that vacated Syed’s conviction was scheduled so hastily. Prosecutors told Young Lee about the hearing on a Friday and scheduled it for the following Monday, leaving him no reasonable opportunity to travel to Baltimore from his California home and attend in person. Instead, he ended up addressing the court via Zoom.

Justice Shirley Watts said the outcome of the hearing seemed predetermined, including Syed’s immediate release from custody. And Justice Lynne Battaglia spoke about properly balancing the rights of victims and defendants.

Depending on the outcome of the appeal, Syed faces at least the potential of being sent back to prison, a point his lawyers raised in recent court filings.
/////
More recently, Baltimore prosecutors re-examined Syed’s files under a Maryland law targeting so-called “juvenile lifers” because he was 17 when Hae Min Lee’s body was found. Prosecutors uncovered numerous problems, including alternative suspects and the unreliable evidence presented at trial. Instead of reconsidering his sentence, prosecutors filed a motion to vacate Syed’s conviction entirely, leading to his release last year.

“This case is not about Mr. Syed’s underlying innocence or guilt. That dispute is simply not in the room today,” said Ari Rubin, an attorney for the Lee family, during Thursday’s arguments.

He said the issue at hand was whether the rights of Lee’s brother, Young Lee, were violated because he was unable to substantively participate in the process, which Rubin called extraordinary “in that it aligns the interests of the defendant and the state.” He argued victims and their attorneys should fulfill an adversarial role.

But several justices expressed skepticism about whether state law expressly spells out a victim’s right to be heard in such hearings where a conviction is vacated.

“Why isn’t this a question for the General Assembly? The right that you’re speaking of is not in the plain language of the statute,” said Judge Brynja Booth.

Some justices also questioned why the hearing that vacated Syed’s conviction was scheduled so hastily. Prosecutors told Young Lee about the hearing on a Friday and scheduled it for the following Monday, leaving him no reasonable opportunity to travel to Baltimore from his California home and attend in person. Instead, he ended up addressing the court via Zoom.

Justice Shirley Watts said the outcome of the hearing seemed predetermined, including Syed’s immediate release from custody. And Justice Lynne Battaglia spoke about properly balancing the rights of victims and defendants.

Depending on the outcome of the appeal, Syed faces at least the potential of being sent back to prison, a point his lawyers raised in recent court filings.
/////
More recently, Baltimore prosecutors re-examined Syed’s files under a Maryland law targeting so-called “juvenile lifers” because he was 17 when Hae Min Lee’s body was found. Prosecutors uncovered numerous problems, including alternative suspects and the unreliable evidence presented at trial. Instead of reconsidering his sentence, prosecutors filed a motion to vacate Syed’s conviction entirely, leading to his release last year.
I'm rooting for Adnan.

MOO. I believe there are some new-ish (starting in October 2023) Truth and Jutice segments regarding this case. I haven’t had a chance to check them out tho. MOO.

I think you need to listen to the Truth & Justice Reply Brief series. It is a response to the prosecutors podcast. There is zero definitive evidence in the files that conclusive prove Adnan killed Hae. This is a pure conjecture case based on testimony from two know drug dealing liars, JW and JP, two corrupt detectives that have been exposed in three similar cases, M & R, and cell phone records that were overstated and not conclusive.
After I read this post, I first listened to The Prosecutors Legal Brief Series. Because they are prosecutors, I thought that gave them some credibility. At times I found them rather arrogant, “trust us, we’re prosecutors”, and I did not care for their treatment of Asia McLain. I thought they glossed over the poor investigation of Don, and minimized the liver mortis evidence in a way that was not convincing to me. But I expected them to be truthful and detailed with the facts. They did give me some doubt that perhaps Adnan is guilty after all.
I then listened to the Truth and Justice Reply Brief series (apparently Bob Ruff did it at first for his paid subscribers but is now releasing episodes on the free podcast) I am working my way through these reply episodes. I am shocked at how much it seems the Prosecutors cherry-picked their facts, and used seemingly sketchy sources as fact (such as Reddit versions of timelines) In the episode in which they lay out their respective theories of the murder, they do a great job and deliver very convincing, impassioned speeches about the murder of Hae Min Lee. Without Bob Ruff’s refutation of their so-called facts, I could have been fooled.

My takeaway from all these podcast hours spent on this - I was hopeful I had found a credible new podcast in the Prosecutors, but until they respond with facts to refute Bob Ruff, I find them untrustworthy, and will be unlikely to ever listen to another of their episodes.

In the early days post Serial when various folks were podcasting about this case, I honestly did not think much of Bob Ruff. But today I see him as perhaps the single most unbiased person with the greatest familiarity with the facts of the case.

I would like to see the Prosecutors and Bob Ruff get together in the spirit of finding the truth, for healthy discussion and search for the truth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CelionYerkash
Back