ME - Anneliese Heinig, 37, Richmond, 26 Nov 2019 *MEDIA, MAPS, TIMELINE - NO DISCUSSION*

Missing Richmond woman struggled with mental health, substance abuse

A search for details of the life of Anneliese Heinig, the missing mother of two from Richmond, reveal a woman who is loved by family and friends but who also has struggled and had a history of conflict involving law enforcement.

byline-mobile-nav.png

BY JESSICA LOWELLKENNEBEC JOURNAL

RICHMOND — As the search for Anneliese Heinig enters its second week in Falmouth, her family no longer believes she will be found alive.

“We’ve come to terms with the fact that we have to face the reality that Anneliese is gone,” her father, Christopher Heinig, said in an interview.

Police in Sagadahoc County were already familiar with the 37-year-old mother of two when her teenage daughter reported her missing Nov. 28.

A review of public documents shows Heinig has had suicidal thoughts and has undergone court-ordered counseling for post traumatic stress and substance abuse treatment following protection from abuse order requested by the father of her younger child. That came six months after Heinig was taken by Richmond police to Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick in December 2017 for evaluation after she threatened to throw herself off a bridge.

In an interview Sunday, Christopher Heinig acknowledged his daughter’s past problems, and said she had not only completed counseling but remained active with one of her therapy groups.

But there is no obvious explanation for why she posted two cryptic messages on Facebook in the days before she disappeared.

On Nov. 22, she posted: “I just want peace. I pray for Peace and my family. I love my children and I want the world to know.”

And hours before she was last seen Nov. 26, she updated her profile photo with a photo of her two children that was several years old.

Despite missing person flyers posted from Richmond to Portland and shared widely online, few tips have been called into Richmond police and none has provided new information.

The multiagency search launched a week ago where Heinig was last seen has also turned up no new information.

Over the weekend, a statement from Falmouth police said the search would continue for the foreseeable future, but would be scaled back absent new information.

“We’ve been going through pictures of Anneliese,” Christopher Heinig said. “Not that I’ve been trying to be a tough guy, the unemotional kind of practical guy, but I’ve tried to be strong and keep my wife supported and my daughter, Grace. But every once in a while, I’ll see a picture of her and break down and cry.”

Heinig’s 16-year-old daughter contacted the Richmond Police Department on Thanksgiving Day to report her mother had failed to show up at a family dinner.

That was two days after a Maine state trooper had the vehicle Heinig had been driving towed from the shoulder of Interstate 295 in Falmouth — nearly 40 miles from her home in Richmond — where it had sat for about seven hours.

Sgt. James Donnell, who was working that day, pinged Heinig’s cellphone and tracked its location to a tow yard in South Portland.

Inside the black Mercury Mariner SUV, registered to her parents, were Heinig’s cellphone, wallet and keys. In the back were birthday items for her daughter, whose birthday had just passed.

Following that came the tip about the last probable sighting of Heinig, walking south along the side of I-295 away from her vehicle at a time of day when traffic on that stretch of highway starts to pick up for the day.

At 6 a.m., the equivalent of 929 vehicles per hour passed that spot, as measured by the Maine Department of Transportation. By 7 a.m., the volume of traffic had increased to 1,637 automobiles per hour — just shy of the peak morning traffic at 11 a.m. that day.

Despite the number of vehicles passing that spot, no one else has offered any information about seeing Anneliese Heinig that morning.

The Heinigs retrieved the vehicle from South Portland, and have said the low gas indicator was on. Anneliese Heinig did not call AAA or her sister, Grace, for help.

If she left any kind of note, that has not been disclosed.

LIFE STRUGGLES

Responses from lifelong friends and others posted in the days after news spread of Heinig’s disappearance included messages of love and offers of prayers for her safety. They beg her to return to the people who love her or to reach out and let someone know she is safe. They urge her to let family and friends help her.

A number of Heinig’s friends shared stories about her during a candlelight vigil organized to offer support for the Heinigs at the end of the first week of searching.

RELATED
Dozens attend vigil in Brunswick for Anneliese Heinig
A public records request by the Kennebec Journal confirmed Anneliese Heinig’s life has been turbulent at times. The Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office and the Richmond Police Department have been called repeatedly to her home on Main Street to intervene in family conflicts or to help find her daughter when she would not come home.

In 2019 alone, Richmond police officers have been to the home 23 times, most recently on Oct. 26.

Police have also been called to a home on Alexander Reed Road when she had lived there with Ryan Theriault, the father of her 5-year-old son.

Theriault, like many of Heinig’s friends, has not responded to a message seeking comment.

12980758_20191204_Search0685.jpg

Falmouth police Lt. Frank Soule talks with Anneliese Heinig’s family on the bridge on Route 9 over the Presumpscot River in Falmouth, in the area being searched Wednesday. Anneliese’s sister, Grace, is at left, and her father, Chris, is at center. Portland Press Herald photo by Shawn Patrick Ouellette

Two years ago this month, Richmond police Officer Chris Giles responded to Alexander Reed Road for a reported family fight and possible assault. While no charges were brought, Giles brought Heinig to Mid Coast Hospital for evaluation after she said she was ready to do herself in and threatened to throw herself off a bridge.

“On the way to the hospital, Annalese(sic) again made reference to jumping off a bridge,” the officer wrote in a report. “I asked her which bridge and she said it didn’t matter, any bridge. She also said, ‘When I leave the hospital I will be much closer to jumping.'”

In the middle of 2018, Theriault sought and received a protection from abuse order against Heinig after a violent outburst.

As part of that process, she was ordered to complete a psychiatric program at Mid Coast Hospital and seek counseling for post-traumatic stress disorder and substance abuse. The court also discussed the conditions under which Heinig, accompanied by the children’s grandparents, could see her children.

Eventually, the order was dismissed.

On Sunday, Christopher Heinig said his daughter and Theriault realized they loved each other but could not live together.

“She just recently started working for SaviLinx at Brunswick Landing,” Christopher Heinig said. “That’s the first really good job that she’s had in a number of years. She enjoyed the work. She enjoyed the people she was working with, and they enjoyed her.”

Having that job, one that would make her financially secure, was a wonderful feeling, he said.

PRAYING FOR ANNELIESE

On Friday, 10 days after she was last seen, family and friends numbering about 200, gathered around the gazebo of the Brunswick Mall to offer support to her family and pray for Anneliese Heinig’s return.

Friends, family and community members gather at a candlelight vigil Friday evening at the Brunswick mall for Anneliese Heinig, a 37-year-old mother of two who has not been seen since Nov. 26. Portland Press Herald photo by Brianna Soukup

For nearly an hour, under gently falling snow, stories from Heinig’s lifelong friends drew laughter and tears. Holding onto candles as a sign of hope, friends conjured a picture of Heinig as a bright and friendly child, an athlete, a dancer and a fierce and loyal friend.

Heinig’s family was there, too, holding candles and hope.

Snipped

Missing Richmond woman struggled with mental health, substance abuse

Anneliese was added to NAMUS today: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactNovember 26, 2019
NamUs Case CreatedDecember 10, 2019
Last Known Location Map
Location Richmond, Maine
CountySagadahoc County

Circumstances of Disappearance
Anneliese was last heard from on November 26, 2019. Her car was found abandoned along 295 in Falmouth.

Police, family of missing Richmond woman refuse to give up search

snipped
It's been one month since Anneliese Heinig, 37, was last seen walking away from her SUV along I-295 in Falmouth.

By Matt ByrneStaff Writer

The family of a Richmond woman who has not been seen in a month say they will not give up the search for answers in her disappearance.

Anneliese Heinig Courtesy photo

Anneliese Heinig, 37, was last seen on the morning of Nov. 26 walking away from her parked Mercury Mariner SUV along the side of Interstate 295 in Falmouth near where the highway crosses the Presumpscot River. Her family realized she was missing two days later when she did not show up for Thanksgiving dinner.

An intensive search followed her disappearance.....

AUG 11, 2020
Boaters asked to be on lookout for Maine woman who went missing last November | WGME
Falmouth police are asking boaters on the Presumpscot River to keep an eye out for any sign of 38-year-old Anneliese Heinig, who was reported missing from Richmond last November.

Police believe she may have taken her own life near the bridge on Middle Road in Falmouth.

[...]

Heinig was last seen on November 26 in Falmouth, walking away from her car.

[...]

Police say Heinig's Mercury Mariner was found parked on the shoulder of I-295 on the north side of the Presumscot River Bridge.

Police say Heinig's cell phone, keys and wallet were inside the car.

[...]

AUG 11, 2020
Anneliese Heinig of Richmond is still missing, police say | newscentermaine.com
Falmouth police held a press conference Tuesday morning near the bridge over the Presumpscot River on I-295 where Anneliese Heinig, 38, of Richmond may have jumped.

[...]

Falmouth Police Chief John Kilbride said although no witnesses observed Heinig jump off the bridge on Middle Road in Falmouth, there is a witness that saw a young female fitting her description walking toward the bridge.

“We have reason to believe Anneliese was distraught and may have taken her life," Kilbride said.

[...]

Starting Tuesday, and over the course of the next few days, Falmouth Police and Fire, the Brunswick Police Department, and Maine Marine Patrol will be conducting another series of searches. They will again be utilizing drones, aircraft, and boats to search the waters at various tidal levels as well as the tree line near the highway.

[...]

Heinig's family released the following statement, thanking first responders and asking the public to please help them bring Anneliese home:

We regret not being able to attend the press conference today. The last several months have been very difficult and as family, we are still seeking closure to Anneliese’s disappearance and are asking for your help. We are deeply grateful for all of the efforts made by the Falmouth Police Department and all of the other agencies that have worked so hard to help find her. Now we are appealing, once again, to the community to help us. If you remember seeing Anneliese in the Portland area early on the morning of November 26th, please contact Falmouth PD. She was last seen dressed in all black - jacket, pants, boots and hat. While it is the season for folks to be spending time on and near the water we ask that you please keep an eye out for anything unusual, as minor as it may appear. Every effort is greatly appreciated.

Police will also be distributing posters with her picture on it at key access points in Falmouth and Portland.

[...]

AUG 11, 2020
Falmouth police renew search for missing Richmond woman - CentralMaine.com
[...]

Heinig’s mother, Anne, said her husband, Chris, and their other daughter, Grace, are still struggling to comprehend what happened to Anneliese, and hold out hope that she is alive. At the very least, they hope police and other searchers can help them find some measure of closure.

[...]

Falmouth police also released a new “missing” poster for Heinig.
Anneliese Heinig Missing Flyer | PDF (scribd.com)

[...]

Public records detail Heinig’s troubled past, including threats to jump off a bridge. More than a year before her disappearance, she had been under a court order to complete a psychiatric program at Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick and to seek counseling for post-traumatic stress disorder and substance abuse, following a violent outburst that prompted Theriault to seek a protection from abuse order against her.

In an interview with the Kennebec Journal in December, Christopher Heinig said his daughter had completed counseling and remained active with one of her therapy groups. She had recently started working at SaviLinx at Brunswick Landing, a job she liked and would make her financially secure. The company provides customer support services to other companies.

On Tuesday, Anne Heinig said her daughter struggled with post-traumatic stress disorder after a sexual assault in college in which she was drugged and raped.

“That trauma was always with her, and she just couldn’t seem to get beyond some of it,” Anne Heinig said. “She was getting help — with counseling in the last year and a half — and was doing quite well.”

[...]

Kilbride said search efforts picked back up in April, when the icy river and surrounding bay waters began to thaw. Since then, teams have gone out a half-dozen times looking for Heinig.

[...]

“She could be in this area, she could be in Portland, she could be 10 miles out,” Kilbride said. “She could be anywhere at this particular point.”

[...]

Searchers have also consulted with experts on tidal flow and storms, among other variables, but it is nearly impossible to pinpoint where Anneliese could be.

[...]

Kilbride said the search is turning into the Falmouth Police Department’s largest in at least 25 years, in terms of scope and commitment of staff time.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value
Back