Mistakes made that led to Casey being aquitted...

I just re watched the Marcia Clark Investigates episode on the death of Caylee Anthony. States Attorney Jeff Aston made a point that the states computer expert failed to find the search of "full proof suffocation" made by Casey Anthony on the day Caylee disappeared.

Websleuths @AZlawyer was instrumental in finding that information after the trial. That could have made a difference in the outcome of this trial if it was presented to the jury. JMO.

Yes, the prosecution should have objected, but the judge doesn't have to wait for an objection to address something that egregious. I disagree that the prosecution failed to show the manner of death. There was enough evidence for any normal person with average critical thinking skills to reasonably conclude that the manner of death was homicide.

Did you see the interview with brain-dead Jennifer Ford? It was clear that the jury chose to acquit because they did not know the cause of death, and the cause of death is not necessary for a first-degree murder conviction (in Florida or any other State).
The duct tape on Caylee's face proves it was a homicide. Normal people would call 911 if a child drowns in their swimming pool.

They do not put duct tape on a dead child's face, shove the child in a bag and toss them into the woods to be eaten by animals. JMO.

Yes, the prosecution should have objected, but the judge doesn't have to wait for an objection to address something that egregious. I disagree that the prosecution failed to show the manner of death. There was enough evidence for any normal person with average critical thinking skills to reasonably conclude that the manner of death was homicide.

Did you see the interview with brain-dead Jennifer Ford? It was clear that the jury chose to acquit because they did not know the cause of death, and the cause of death is not necessary for a first-degree murder conviction (in Florida or any other State).
Sadly the prosecution failed to prove anything substantially linking Casey to Caylee's death in this case. I watched the trial live. This case is how I found Websleuths. Even during the case I was telling people she was going to get off, way back then people were telling me how wrong I was. The only thing the prosecution did do was making a B-grade attorney look like F. Lee Bailey.

I was in Orlando when Caylee was found. I went by the site. It was literally around the corner from her house and very close to a school (elementary school I think). To this day, I don't think I've ever seen a case so badly handled by LEO.

Maybe the Morphew case is a close second, I know you and I have posted over on that thread. Lots of parallels between the two cases between the litany of lies told by the suspects, the failure of investigators to find substantial evidence to pin the crime on the suspect and most importantly the failure of prosecutors to successfully litigate their case beyond a reasonable doubt. I guess in the Morphew case they were smart enough to pull the rip cord and bail out before they gave the suspect a lifetime of freedom because of double jeopardy.

Sadly the prosecution failed to prove anything substantially linking Casey to Caylee's death in this case. I watched the trial live. This case is how I found Websleuths. Even during the case I was telling people she was going to get off, way back then people were telling me how wrong I was. The only thing the prosecution did do was making a B-grade attorney look like F. Lee Bailey.

I was in Orlando when Caylee was found. I went by the site. It was literally around the corner from her house and very close to a school (elementary school I think). To this day, I don't think I've ever seen a case so badly handled by LEO.

Maybe the Morphew case is a close second, I know you and I have posted over on that thread. Lots of parallels between the two cases between the litany of lies told by the suspects, the failure of investigators to find substantial evidence to pin the crime on the suspect and most importantly the failure of prosecutors to successfully litigate their case beyond a reasonable doubt. I guess in the Morphew case they were smart enough to pull the rip cord and bail out before they gave the suspect a lifetime of freedom because of double jeopardy.
Things might have been different if the prosecution had spelled things out more for the jury. I would have thought that the jury could connect the dots a little better. The prosecution probably did, too. For me, the tape over Caylee's mouth, the internet searches about chloroform, and Casey's lies during the investigation would have gotten me beyond a reasonable doubt. Those jurors were just plain dumb, and dumb people need things spelled out for them in excruciating detail, apparently.

Things might have been different if the prosecution had spelled things out more for the jury. I would have thought that the jury could connect the dots a little better. The prosecution probably did, too. For me, the tape over Caylee's mouth, the internet searches about chloroform, and Casey's lies during the investigation would have gotten me beyond a reasonable doubt. Those jurors were just plain dumb, and dumb people need things spelled out for them in excruciating detail, apparently.
I disagree. The prosecution was woefully inept. I like to think I'm pretty intelligent and I knew throughout the trial they had not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey killed Caylee. I think they had all the pieces they needed, but they were simply ineffective. It wasn't ever a case where the jury received bad instructions or the defense made either a compelling argument against the evidence nor did they flat out misrepresent the evidence at hand.

Here are the problems in this case, IMO:
1. Not finding Caylee's body a couple of blocks from her home. This would have likely made the cause of death easy for the ME to determine.
2. Casey's numerous lies sending investigators all over the place.
3. ME listing the manner of death as homicide but the cause as death by undetermined means.
4. Prosecutors thinking they have a slam dunk case and so they ineffectively narrated the case against Casey.

I just re watched the Marcia Clark Investigates episode on the death of Caylee Anthony. States Attorney Jeff Aston made a point that the states computer expert failed to find the search of "full proof suffocation" made by Casey Anthony on the day Caylee disappeared.

Websleuths @AZlawyer was instrumental in finding that information after the trial. That could have made a difference in the outcome of this trial if it was presented to the jury. JMO.

JWG (I think that was his name here) was more instrumental in getting that done IMO. I got the sheriff’s office to comply with the disclosure laws; he took the data and made it readable.

If a three-year-old child disappears and the child’s mother doesn’t tell anyone about it for 30 days, and the child is later found dead, it's simple, common sense that the mother was responsible. IMO, 12 jurors tried to make this decision more difficult than it really was.

And the question of how exactly did Caylee die, and where, and when — are not elements of the crime of murder under Florida law. People can be and are prosecuted all the time for murder even in cases where a body is never found.

Next to Casey being acquitted, putting forth this idea as the reason why Casey was not convicted is the worst cop-out I've ever read on this forum!

There was without a doubt sufficient circumstantial evidence from which a reasonable jury could have inferred homicide. Nonetheless, I think the reasonable jury here was too caught up in television and CSI that they simply could not accept or understand that a decomposed body can't always provide the answers.

IMO, the jury didn't know what to do when they were not provided more crime show quality forensic evidence, so instead, they rejected the common sense conclusion that Casey could be and was the only party responsible for ending the life of her only child, Caylee.

Just unbelievable that a toddler found dead, thrown away like garbage, with duct tape over her mouth, whose murder her mother hid for a month and would have forever if she could have, wasn’t thought to be murder for the jury… still can’t believe CA was acquitted.

Perry allowing Casey to 'testify' via facial expressions.

Perry rushing through jury selections, taking jurors who had unbreakable plans and promising them that the trial would be over in time. (I sincerely believe that the person on the jury who had non-refundable cruise tickets, which was to depart the same week they were deliberating, had some influence on the rest of the panel. If they would have found her guilty, they would have had to deliberate the penalty phase and that person would have missed their cruise.)

Perry empanelling a non-death penalty qualified jury (the woman who said she couldn't judge people should never have been allowed on the jury, Batson challenge or not).
This was all crazy honestly.

The prosecution waisted so much time with the 31 days after caylee went missing IMO the June 16th timeline is so much more important to prove Casey s guilt

I disagree. The prosecution was woefully inept. I like to think I'm pretty intelligent and I knew throughout the trial they had not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey killed Caylee. I think they had all the pieces they needed, but they were simply ineffective. It wasn't ever a case where the jury received bad instructions or the defense made either a compelling argument against the evidence nor did they flat out misrepresent the evidence at hand.

1. Not finding Caylee's body a couple of blocks from her home. This would have likely made the cause of death easy for the ME to determine.
3. ME listing the manner of death as homicide but the cause as death by undetermined means.
4. Prosecutors thinking they have a slam dunk case and so they ineffectively narrated the case against Casey.
I do have to wonder if the later revealed escapades of the lead prosecutor were interfering with his performance as a prosecutor on this case. Maybe his mind was elsewhere and he wasn’t at his best. JMO

I think that the forensic details went right over the heads of the jurors so they just chose to ignore them.

I think the biggest issue they had was Roy Kronk . Him admitting he lifted up Caylee's skull with his iron water tool thing. Thus moving the skull before LE even got to see it ,and they were not ever able to clean that up . They should have left all that out and she have got convicted. MOO..

WOW it's been awhile since I've been back here, I have two questions, 1) didn't the judge tell the jury they did not need to concern themselves with how Caylee died? and 2) would some one please help me with finding the leave a prayer for Caylee thread. Thanks so much

WOW it's been awhile since I've been back here, I have two questions, 1) didn't the judge tell the jury they did not need to concern themselves with how Caylee died? and 2) would some one please help me with finding the leave a prayer for Caylee thread. Thanks so much
I‘ve looked high and low for the light a candle for Caylee thread and cannot find it.

I‘ve looked high and low for the light a candle for Caylee thread and cannot find it.
Looks like all but the first thread have been pulled for some reason. That thread was closed back in July of 2011.

Looks like all but the first thread have been pulled for some reason. That thread was closed back in July of 2011.

Oh wow! I wonder why?
Thank you Ranch!

Prosecution's persistence on the chloroform as the method of death when there wasn't really anything to back that up in the eyes of the jury. Had they only know about the fool proof suffocation searches I feel their case would have been built very differently.

I will never forget Nancy Grace, when the jury did a finding of "Not Guilty" for "tot mom". Her expression was priceless. Literally, her mouth dropped open, she was absolutely speechless.

I watched the trial on Court TV, and I personally think, that if the prosecution had gone for manslaughter or negligence, she would have been found guilty. When it was a death penalty case, and the jurors had a slight doubt...they didn't go with "reasonable doubt", they did a hard stop, and decided to aquit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back