MN MN - Hang Lee, 17, St Paul, 12 Jan 1993

Updated article from the Pioneer Press. Behind a paywall so it's archived.

<<Could the teens’ disappearances be connected? St. Paul police have long called Mark Steven Wallace, a convicted sex offender, a person of interest in Lee’s case.>>

Published May 11, 2022

Minnesota Unsolved: The Saint Paul teen who never returned from a job interview​

"On a snowy night in January 1993, 17-year-old Hang Lee left her home in Saint Paul's McDonough Projects — giving her brother Koua these last words: She said, 'If I don't come home, come and look for me, because I don't trust Nikki,'" Koua Lee said.

Koua said his sister was referring to Nikki Lee, no relation, Hang's friend who called that night saying she'd bring Hang to a job interview...

Lengthy article.
Associated thread, cross-post.

By MARA H. GOTTFRIED | January 13, 2023
1707155066968.png

''Growing up in St. Paul, Laurie Finnegan remembers hearing about Hang Lee. She was 11 when the 17-year-old Lee disappeared under suspicious circumstances in St. Paul on Jan. 12, 1993.

Now, 30 years later, Lee still hasn’t been found, and Finnegan is a St. Paul police sergeant. When Finnegan became a missing-persons investigator two years ago, she said she knew she wanted to take on Lee’s case.

“It’s something that always stuck with me,” Finnegan said. “Unfortunately, we haven’t found Hang, but we also haven’t forgotten about her and, hopefully, we can someday find her.”

A search for answers weighs heavily on investigators and families of other missing people. Like Lee’s family, another grim anniversary is approaching for a Twin Cities family. It will soon be 35 years since Susan Swedell disappeared from Lake Elmo when she was 19.

Could the teens’ disappearances be connected? St. Paul police have long called Mark Steven Wallace, a convicted sex offender, a person of interest in Lee’s case.''

There are several good news articles linked in earlier posts in this thread. Here's another one from 2009 with additional details, source link at end:

Lead fizzles in Hang Lee’s 1993 disappearance
Author
By Emily Gurnon | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: May 20, 2009 at 11:01 p.m. | UPDATED: November 12, 2015 at 9:25 p.m.

A promising lead in the case of a missing St. Paul teenager fizzled when cadaver-sniffing dogs failed to find human remains in the former Maplewood home of the lead suspect, according to a sheriff’s investigator.

Hang Lee was 17 when she disappeared in 1993. On that day, the Highland Park Senior High School senior and another woman allegedly met with Mark Steven Wallace, then 30, about a job.

After the interview, Wallace dropped the other woman off first, then was supposed to take Lee home. But she never arrived, according to the affidavit for a search warrant filed Tuesday in Ramsey County District Court.

Wallace, 46, grew up in the home at 1736 Furness St. and continued to live there on and off “his entire life,” according to the affidavit.

His mother willed the home to him and his stepbrother. Wallace was forced to move out when the property went into foreclosure in February. At that point, Sgt. Kevin Navara of the Ramsey County sheriff’s special investigations cold case unit got permission from the real estate agent and mortgage company to search it.

Navara said in an interview that the dogs, from the Minnesota Search and Rescue Dog Association, scoured the property on two occasions.

The first time, three separate groups of dogs honed in — one group at a time — on an area on the back northeast wall of the garage, Navara said.

“All three did very well, one after the other, boom boom boom,” he said.

On that basis, he got the warrant to drill holes in the concrete floor of the garage, which was built in 2004.

When the dogs came back for a second search, most failed to indicate an alert for human remains, Navara said. Investigators took nothing from the scene.

Wallace has refused to cooperate. In addition, investigators have tried to talk to the other woman they believe was at the job interview, but she asked for an attorney and has refused to cooperate, Navara said.

“So we’re kind of back to square one again with this case,” he said.

Wallace began getting in trouble with the law when he was a child, Navara said. His criminal history includes “multiple rapes, narcotics, theft and robbery,” according to the affidavit.

Navara said Wallace is in custody in Wisconsin on property crimes charges.

Anyone with information about Lee’s disappearance is urged to call the sheriff’s special investigations unit at 651-266-9560.

SOURCE: Lead fizzles in Hang Lee’s 1993 disappearance

Published May 11, 2022

Minnesota Unsolved: The Saint Paul teen who never returned from a job interview​

"On a snowy night in January 1993, 17-year-old Hang Lee left her home in Saint Paul's McDonough Projects — giving her brother Koua these last words: She said, 'If I don't come home, come and look for me, because I don't trust Nikki,'" Koua Lee said.

Koua said his sister was referring to Nikki Lee, no relation, Hang's friend who called that night saying she'd bring Hang to a job interview...
I wonder why she felt she did not trust her friend and why the friend would allow a man like Wallace to interview her for a non existent job ( although maybe she did not know that?)? Nikki was paid? Or had Wallace threatened Nikki and she said she'd bring him someone similar to protect her from rape, murder, or some threat? Why else would she make Hang Lee suspicious? It seemed Nikki had knowledge of what she was doing if Hang was so suspicious.

As for the garage, it wasn't built until 2004, so I wonder what was there before that? A garden or something? Or did Wallace possibly take her remains from someplace else, and then build the garage to hide them forever ( he would have hoped). He apparently wasn't able to save the home from foreclosure, though, so maybe he would have done more to save the property had her remains been buried there, unless he truly tried everything to avoid the home being foreclosed on.
At least the neighbor let LE know about the garage, though, especially as that was long after Hang Lee's disappearence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkitafrombama
Back