NC NC - Blake Deven & London Deven, missing dates and ages are uncertain, FBI involved, Fayetteville

I’m assuming the daughter that AD is referring to in the 911 call is London? So both children have history of talking about going to Buddhist retreats or is she saying that London did go to a retreat for 6 months? I have to listen to that call again.
And per the call, she got rid of the phone that had the one phone contact from her son.

As one would.

So nothing happened at Walmart. the operator asks where she last saw Blake and AD says maybe a restaurant? And operator asks for a name of a restaurant and AD says maybe family mart? And operator says “Walmart?” And AD says no family mart. But Walmart makes it into the report for some reason, probably because family mart doesn’t exist. So that solves that mystery.

CBS 17 obtained documents listing the home as a homeschool with the name, Deven Academy.

According to state records, it opened in 2007 as a religious homeschool in Buncombe County. In August of 2013, someone added two students to enrollment. In March of 2017, the address of the academy changed to the Eichelberger Drive home.

CBS 17 called the phone number on state records for the administrator of Deven Academy and received this operator message.

“We’re sorry, the number that you have dialed has calling restrictions that have prevented the completion of your call,” the recorded message said.

"sporadic encephalopathy”

........excusemewhat
I listened to the call and I think the reporter just got it wrong. It sounds like the caller says "static encephalopathy," which is an actual term.
The most common types of encephalopathy include:

• Static encephalopathy (permanent brain damage, often caused by exposure in the womb to alcohol)

My notes on the 911 call, which was made January 19, 2024 at 13:16:59:
  • She is calling from the Berriedale house, not the Walmart
  • She sounds genuinely worried IMO, at least in the beginning
  • She says the last time she spoke to him he had recently turned 17 (but his birthday is in May)
  • Then she says the last time she spoke to him was a year ago, the operator clarifies January, the caller says she thinks it was December, around the holidays, he told her he was going to a Buddhist retreat
  • Operator then clarifies that would make him 16 not 17 right, caller confirms yes that must be right
  • Operator asks if she thinks he's a runaway. Caller says I would think so but he is into religion and Buddhism and meditation
  • Caller says "my daughter did that once for 6 months but she called"
  • Says he is very independent and high strung so she doesn't know he ran away, but it's possible
  • When asked about medical conditions she says not really, clarifies he had a "static encephalopathy" diagnosis when he was younger
  • Operator is asking where he was last seen, and caller is struggling to come up with it, she's trying to guess where he would have been calling her from. This is when she starts saying "the neighborhood mart" on Ramsey. Operator asks if this is Walmart, caller says it's "the neighborhood mart" which is closed now
    • I'm pretty sure the Walmart is just a Walmart, but Walmart grocery stores are called "Neighborhood Market"
    • I do not know why she thinks it was this location, but IMO it doesn't sound like she is saying she physically saw him there, but that this is where she thinks he called from.
  • Says she last saw him a year and a half ago around Thanksgiving or Christmas in 2022
  • Says she doesn't have a phone number for her son
  • Operator will send officers out to her as soon as possible

I really am thinking something January spooked her into calling him in missing...as in trying to cover her tracks. I know remains were found but no idea if they are related.

It's almost like she's missing too, but if she was, wouldn't the police say they are looking for her? Just...wow. No family (on her side) coming forward....just nothing. The whole thing makes my heart hurt to think how many kids could have been hurt...and what, exactly that woman was doing with all those kids over the years

Court records show Avantae Deven was also facing another problem at home: Her mother, Leonie Maxwell, 95, had sustained an anoxic brain injury in November 2023, rendering her nonverbal and nonresponsive and in need of “round-the-clock care.”

At some point, court records state, Maxwell was admitted to the cardiac ICU at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center and placed on a ventilator.

“[Maxwell’s] daughter, Avantae Deven, has not been responding to calls from medical staff concerning necessary medical decisions for [Maxwell] since March 27, 2024,” a petition to place Maxwell in emergency protective care states. “Cape Fear Valley Medical Center sent a welfare check to Ms. Deven’s home on March 30, 2024 and no one answered the door.”

That’s when DSS officials stepped in, requesting to temporarily make emergency decisions in Maxwell’s care and appoint her a guardian ad litem — a guardian chosen by the court — on April 10. That same day, court records show, DSS also asked the court to freeze Maxwell’s financial assets and grant officials permission to inspect her financial records.

“Upon information and belief, [Maxwell] has a bank account with Wells Fargo containing a sum in excess of $15,000,” the petition states. “[DSS] is unaware of the extent of [Maxwell]’s assets at this time; however, [Maxwell] is unable to resist financial exploitation and is in need of protective measures at this time.”

The order granting DSS’s request states officials believe Avantae Deven may have been financially exploiting her mother. The petition notes that Avantae Deven’s home “has been searched by law enforcement multiple times” in connection with London and Blake’s disappearances.

Anoxic encephalopathy, or hypoxic-ischemic brain injury, is a process that begins with the cessation of cerebral blood flow to brain tissue, which most commonly results from poisoning, as is the case, for example, with carbon monoxide poisoning or drug overdose, vascular injury, or insult, or cardiac arrest.

The recent article @imstilla.grandma posted answers some of the questions. It has since been updated to correct the term used in the call, static encephalopathy.

-- So the initial investigation was apparently into the financial exploitation of LM (AD's 95yo mother) who suffered a stroke in November 2023, and AD made the "oh by the way, my son's missing" call about two months later, in January 2024.
-- The Walmart sighting sounds far from verified, and that's putting it lightly.
-- It sounds as though London's disappearance was discovered rather than reported.

If London really attended a Buddhist retreat, one thinks her name would be on a roster of participants, or she signed a legal waiver to attend. Also, I know very little about these retreats, but if they charge tuition, where did AD's children get the money to attend, since apparently nobody has spoken up about having been coworkers with them at any point? Asking this because she implied Blake called after he had been away for a while, including on a possible retreat, versus requesting tuition beforehand.

The recent article @imstilla.grandma posted answers some of the questions. It has since been updated to correct the term used in the call, static encephalopathy.

-- So the initial investigation was apparently into the financial exploitation of LM (AD's 95yo mother) who suffered a stroke in November 2023, and AD made the "oh by the way, my son's missing" call about two months later, in January 2024.
The article says Avantae was not responding to the medical centers calls from March 27th. So I don't think an investigation into financial explotation was happening in January. Maybe there was a criminal aspect, but that is pure speculation based on the fact of a brain injury in November.

wow, just getting caught up. glad to see the press is still digging, still covering this story. posting some snips and links y'all have clearly already seen but I want to be able to easily find them later.
----------------------------
CBS 17 obtained documents listing the home as a homeschool with the name, Deven Academy.
[snip]
CBS 17 called the phone number on state records for the administrator of Deven Academy and received this operator message.

“We’re sorry, the number that you have dialed has calling restrictions that have prevented the completion of your call,” the recorded message said.
[snip]
State records show Deven Academy is still open and active at the Deven’s old address, which another family currently resides in.
New details revealed about Fayetteville home missing Blake Deven, London Deven lived in

The academy is listed as a religious home school and in addition to numerous address has had six phone number changes since first registering in 2007, according to the records.

The record shows that the school closed Aug. 30, 2021, and reopened and then inactivated on the same day, Dec. 22, 2023. The last record notes it was reopened on Jan. 1, 2024 and had two students — a male in the eighth grade and a male in the 10th grade.

The Deven Academy is currently registered at the family's Berriedale Drive home.

Attempts to contact Avantae Deven have been unsuccessful.
Timeline of events in the Fayetteville case of two missing adopted siblings

“He told me he was going to a Buddhist retreat and never called back,” she told the emergency dispatcher in a recently released 911 call.

That call was made in January. Now, her son has been missing for 632 days.

In an over eight-minute recording punctuated with sighs, a story peppered with inconsistencies emerges in the 911 call. The woman, 63-year-old Avantae Deven, first says her 17-year-old son disappeared a year ago, then says it was “around the holidays” between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2022. She later says she doesn’t have the phone number he last called her from, or even the phone where she received the call.
[snip]
“He is generally religious, and he used to go back and forth about a Buddhist retreat, and meditation, things like that,” Avantae Deven says. “My daughter did that once for six months, and she called, so I thought, OK. He’s very independent and high-strung and very bossy, so it’s not very unlikely of his character.”
[snip]
The order granting DSS’s request states officials believe Avantae Deven may have been financially exploiting her mother. The petition notes that Avantae Deven’s home “has been searched by law enforcement multiple times” in connection with London and Blake’s disappearances.
She said her teenager went to a ‘Buddhist retreat.’ Now, he’s been missing for 632 days. - CityView

Wowsa, there is a lot to unpack in that last one. Not surprised that AD finds herself accused of exploiting her elderly mother's finances. This woman strikes me as a lifelong grifter. What did she do to those kids? If either is found still living I will eat crow however you folks want to serve it to me.

In an over eight-minute recording punctuated with sighs, a story peppered with inconsistencies emerges in the 911 call.

Before the Devens moved to Fayetteville, it appears Avantae Deven was living in Buncombe County — IRS tax records show her living in Enka, an unincorporated community there, while she was the registered agent for a nonprofit called the Infinity Institute from 2011 to 2016.

The Infinity Institute was established in Nevada by Robert Adams, a teacher of a philosophy of Hinduism called Advaita Vedanta, in 1996, according to the nonprofit’s website and Nevada state records.

Property records show an LLC created in New Mexico owns Avantae Deven’s Berriedale Drive home. According to records from the New Mexico Secretary of State’s website, Avantae Deven registered the LLC, called Nelson & Johnson, under a Sedona, Arizona, address in September 2016. The LLC’s purpose was listed as “gatherings for various artists [sic] showings and book sharing/readings.”

“He is generally religious, and he used to go back and forth about a Buddhist retreat, and meditation, things like that,” Avantae Deven says. “My daughter did that once for six months, and she called, so I thought, OK. He’s very independent and high-strung and very bossy, so it’s not very unlikely of his character.”

Avantae Deven tells the operator her son doesn’t have any medical or mental health conditions, apart from being diagnosed with what she calls “sporadic encephalopathy” when he was younger. Encephalopathy is damage or disease to the brain, leading to a change in mental state.
Mods, can we sleuth AD yet? She's at the very least being accused of financially exploiting her 95 year old mother.

Reporting my post.

Last edited:

-- The Walmart sighting sounds far from verified, and that's putting it lightly.
-- It sounds as though London's disappearance was discovered rather than reported.

If London really attended a Buddhist retreat, one thinks her name would be on a roster of participants, or she signed a legal waiver to attend. Also, I know very little about these retreats, but if they charge tuition, where did AD's children get the money to attend, since apparently nobody has spoken up about having been coworkers with them at any point? Asking this because she implied Blake called after he had been away for a while, including on a possible retreat, versus requesting tuition beforehand.
--------------------------------------
I particularly like how she made sure to tell LE he was "generally religious" and talked about a Buddhist retreat and meditation and such. and BTW he is high strung, independent and VERY bossy so of course he would run away. as to her talking about her daughter (maybe London) I think she was implying her daughter ran away for six months but eventually called her. I don't think she meant her daughter ran off to a Buddhist retreat specifically.

You know, these darn kids nowadays . . .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back