NC NC, Pamela Dreher, 32, found shot in their fish store, 15 yr old arrested in 1988 but released in 2016 due to lack of evidence, Wilmington, jul 88'

aThousandYearsWide

Reaction score
On July 13, 1988, Pamela Dreher was running her newly-opened tropical fish store in Delgado Square on Wrightsville Avenue.

The 32-year-old wife and mother was working alone when she was shot and killed execution-style just before closing time. A neighboring shopkeeper found her face down in a pool of blood, and investigators found $173 missing from her cash register.

The City of Wilmington is being sued by a man who spent 28 years behind bars for a murder he has always maintained he did not commit.

Johnny Small's conviction was overturned last year after a key witness from the 1988 murder of Pamela Dreher recanted his testimony and other elements of the case against Small fell apart.

As Small's attorneys prepare to take the city to court, we are learning more about why Small and others blame the Wilmington Police Department for sending the wrong person to prison.

David Bollinger, the state's main witness in the trial, is speaking to reporters for the first time.

Bollinger claims retired WPD Detective JJ Lightener threatened to arrest him for murder and seek the death penalty if he didn't falsely testify against Small, who was his best friend.

Bollinger, who was 19 at the time this happened, says he lived in fear for years. But after finding the courage to come forward with the truth, he's trying to make things right in part by publicly voicing his concerns about corruption at the WPD.

"If this was common practice back then, how many people are in jail for something they didn't do? How many people were forced to tell something that's not true?" Bollinger wonders.

Bollinger and other witnesses who testified for the state in the 1980s now say the WPD suppressed evidence that was favorable to Small. Small's attorneys say had that evidence been presented in 1989, it would likely have led to a different outcome at his trial.

Small was only 15 at the time of his arrest for the crime but was tried as an adult and sentenced to life in prison. At the age of 44, he was released on house arrest after a judge heard the recanted testimony and new evidence about questionable practices of the 1988 Wilmington Police Department.

Due to insufficient evidence to try the case again, prosecutors dismissed all charges against Small in September 2016.

Last edited:
A tip to the Wilmington Police Department’s Crime Stoppers hotline linked Johnny Small to the brutal murder. On July 13th, Pamela Dreher was working at her fish store in Delgado Square, a little shopping center off Wrightsville Avenue.

Someone came in, shot her in the head and left her in a pool of blood. The killer took $173 from the cash register.

Small believes he was the victim of young people who were after reward money.

“Everyone that testified against me was teenagers.”

The main one, is his best friend David Bollinger. The tips to Crime Stoppers implicated Bollinger, too. He was also arrested for the murder, but he had a solid alibi—he was out of town. But he told detectives with the Wilmington Police Department that Small killed Dreher. Almost three decades later, he recanted his testimony which, in part, led to Small’s release.

In an interview with WECT in 2017, Bollinger says he was coerced into making up a story that implicated Small in the killing. Specifically, Bollinger claims Detective J.J. Lightner forced him to lie.

“He told me ‘If you don’t tell me what I want to hear, you will go to jail for this I will make sure you get the death penalty,’” Bollinger said in the 2017 interview. “He would be right there on the front row watching me die. I asked for my parents. I wasn’t allowed to make a call, I was told I didn’t need a lawyer—everything I asked to do I was denied so I eventually caved.”

But there are two things Small cares deeply about and he’s still waiting on them. One of them is a pardon from North Carolina’s governor.

“You only got one time to get proven wrong and it sticks with you just like out here now. Just because I was proven innocent and all of that, so you know how hard it is? It’s still on my record. I’m still waiting for the governor to clear it because I’m still stereotyped, ridiculed because of that,” he said.

Small’s other wish is that the real killer is found.

“I would love to know who did it because that person that did it took my life as well.”

Pamela Dreher’s family still believes Small is the killer. He says he understand that.

“They’re going to keep that thought in their head. That’s just the way humans think. ‘Oh he was convicted the first time, he done it. He’s automatically guilty,’” said Small. “My heart goes out to that family.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E.Layne
Back