NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 June 2001 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio College Students Arrange 432 Adoptions in 20 Hours

Sometimes, you never know what will happen unless you try. When 19 year-old Danae Leali, a creative writing major at Ashland University in Ohio, first heard about a unique awareness program for missing people called Adopt a Missing Person, she was moved to take action herself. However, that wasn't enough for Danae.

The Adopt a Missing Person program was created by nonprofit organization, Project Jason, which assists families of missing persons and provides education for the public. Families of the missing provide photo buttons of their missing loved one and a personal biography, so that people all over the country can help by "adopting" their missing loved one. Adopters pledge to wear the button and share the story with others to increase the odds of location, and give hope to the families.

When Danae went to the Project Jason website, she decided to adopt 20 year-old Rachel Cooke, missing from Georgetown, TX, since January 10, 2002. She received the button in the mail, and began to share Rachel's story with other students in her dorm, including her friend, Vanessa Wagner. Both Vanessa and Danae felt that missing persons get little exposure, and wanted to do more. Vanessa stated: "These are real people, with hopes and dreams, family and friends, futures and pasts. Deep down I feel that most people want to change the world for the better and if they can start off with a simple project like this, it is one step in the right direction."

They began by soliciting other students in their dorm to adopt other missing people, and the response was so heartening and tremendous, that they decided to expand it to the entire college campus. Danae and Vanessa chose 8 missing persons from the program and went to numerous campus organizations, fraternities, sororities, students, and staff, even going door-to-door for their cause. Within a day, they had close to 200 adoptions secured. By day three of their campaign to help the missing, the two had arranged 432 adoptions!

On Monday, November 22nd, Danae and Vanessa will proudly don their buttons, along with the other 430 persons who opened their hearts to help a family they've never met, many of whom are thousands of miles away. They will hold an all day vigil at the campus chapel, starting at 7am and culminating with a brief ceremony at 9pm. 8 giant cards will be posted, one for each family of the missing, so that attendees can express their thoughts of hope. These will be sent to the families after the vigil. The press and public are invited and encouraged to attend.

Kelly Jolkowski, mother of missing Jason Jolkowski, and founder of Project Jason, explains the impact of the program: "After the police have sifted through the clues in a missing person's case, and have no more leads, what the family has left is hope and awareness. The Adopt a Missing Person program enables people to be able to give these priceless gifts to the families. It helps them get through another day without their loved ones, knowing that a stranger cares. You just never know. The next person to see that face, may hold the key to unlock the mystery of their disappearance and be the catalyst that reunites a family."

To find out additional information about the Adopt a Missing Person program, please see www.projectjason.org, and click on the "Adopt a Missing Person" link.

The eight missing persons who were adopted during the campaign at Ashland
University are:

Amanda Berry, Cleveland, OH www.amandaberry.net

Georgina DeJesus, Cleveland, OH www.findgeorgina.com

Tamika Huston, Spartanburg, SC www.tamikahuston.com

Maura Murray, Amherst, MA www.mauramurray.com

Brianna Maitland, Montgomery, VT www.bringbrihome.com

Ryan Katcher, Oakwood, IL www.findryan.com

Joshua Guimond, Collegeville, MN www.findjoshua.com

Jason Jolkowski, Omaha, NE www.missingjason.com

Congratulations on your success Deana! I think that is truly amazing :)

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=26714

‘Project Jason’ keeps memory alive for missing kids
Reported by: Lydia Esparra
POSTED: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 7:19:43 AM
UPDATED: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 7:20:45 AM

ASHLAND -- We’ve seen their pictures and have heard their names, the names of our area’s missing kids. Just south of Cleveland, in Ashland, other kids are keeping their memory alive.

At Ashland University Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus are making new friends. It started with an idea from sophomore Danae Leali

“I checked out the missing person’s files and thought it was interesting,” Danae said.

And during that time she came across ‘Project Jason’ dot org. At the website people can ‘sponsor’ a missing person by helping keep their name in the public eye.

The students proudly wear buttons with the pictures of the missing Amanda, Gina, Brianna, Tamika, Maura, Jason, Joshua and Ryan.

“You read things about them and you hear about them and then people start to talk about them on campus,” sophomore, Vanessa Wagener said.

And the campus is talking and worrying, what if it happens to them.

Parent, Maria Myers, says she worries about her daughter in college.

“She calls me to let me know she is OK,” Maria said.

“Because if this happened in my family and I went missing, I can’t imagine how upset my family would be,” freshman, Dlon Benton said.

About a quarter of the students participated in adopt a missing person. That figure is pretty good considering the campus only has about 2,000 students. Even more remarkable is this is the first time its ever been done anywhere across the United States.

For one day Danae and her friends celebrate the lives of the missing. They’ll send cards to all the hurting families and light candles that burn for hope. So one day the light will help guide the missing home.

Danae said she wants to let the families know that there is hope and people are thinking of them.

Will Three Minutes on National TV Unravel a Three Year Old Mystery?

For more than three years, the family of Jason Jolkowski fought to get national media attention for this baffling and seemingly unsolvable missing person’s case. Will their appearance on the Montel Williams Show on Monday, November 29th, shed any light on the case, or will they remain in the limbo state of “not knowing”?

Nearly 3 ½ years ago, on a warm summer day, then 19 year-old Jason Jolkowski stepped out onto the driveway of his Omaha, NE home, and was never seen or heard from again. Veteran detectives have not been able to make a dent in what is called one of the most baffling cases in 30 years. His case remains open on the Major Crimes Unit.

In Jason’s case, there are no suspects. He had no known enemies. There is no evidence he was taken, but yet the evidence that he left willingly is lacking. He did his household chores right before he left. As his parents were both at work, there would have been no reason to do his chores if he was unhappy with them and planned to leave. He left for work wearing dress pants and shoes. He didn’t take other clothes or possessions. He had about $650 in the bank, and was due to get another check from his job two days later. His car was in the shop and repairs would be completed within two days. His bank account and cell phone were never touched and Jason failed to pick up his check at work.

What could have happened to this young man, who was loved and respected by family and friends, and well known for his stint as a D.J. on The River, a local college radio station?

As national media coverage for missing young men is difficult, if not nearly impossible to come by, the Jolkowskis feel fortunate that they were selected to be on the show. Jim and Kelly, Jason’s parents, hope that the for the few minutes they appear on the Montel Williams Show, someone, somewhere, will see the story and come forward with information that will help solve their son’s case, and provide the answers they have longed for.

Related Websites:

www.missingjason.com
www.projectjason.org

Kelly Jolkowski
Kelly.jolkowski@projectjason.org

Hi Kelly. good luck with the show... has your segment already been taped? or are they using older footage? I am not sure how it works... maybe you will actually be there in person?

I don't know what it matters old or new, in person or not, but GOD be with you Kelly. God be with Jason.
Casshew said:
Hi Kelly. good luck with the show... has your segment already been taped? or are they using older footage? I am not sure how it works... maybe you will actually be there in person?

Thank you

We went to NYC a couple of weeks ago and taped. They had also sent a cameraman to our home to tape some footage a few weeks before that. They will use a combination of the two in the show.

Many blessings,
Kelly

Kelly said:
Thank you

We went to NYC a couple of weeks ago and taped.
You're welcome, I will be watching for the show... I am glad you had this opportunity to get Jason's story out there. The right person watching can make all the difference... good luck!

We'll be praying for more viewers than ever. We're trying to do a big push on the Internet to spread the word about this.

Why not email all your friends with the posted press release and links?

You never know what may come of it all.

God bless,
Kelly

Web-Posted Nov 28, 2004
Missing man's family to be on Montel Williams' show Monday

By Sarah Schulz
sarah.schulz@theindependent.com

The parents of a Nebraska man who has been missing for more than three years will appear on television on a segment of "Montel Williams" Monday.
On the show Kelly and Jim Jolkowski will talk about their son, Jason, who went missing June 13, 2001, at the age of 19.

The family is from Omaha and has relatives in Grand Island. The program airs locally at 2 p.m. on KHAS-TV, cable channel 5.

Jason's case remains open with the Omaha Police Department's major crimes unit, but there are few clues to his disappearance. According to his mother, the young man was waiting for a ride to work because his car was in the shop. His bank account hasn't been touched since he vanished and his cell phone hasn't been used.

The Jolkowskis taped their segment with host Montel Williams a few weeks ago in New York City.

Kelly Jolkowski wrote in a recent e-mail to family and friends that some of the activities surrounding the taping are a blur. She said Williams was very compassionate with all of the missing people's families being featured on the program.

The family hopes their appearance on the show may bring about new leads and shed light on their son's case. Kelly Jolkowski's e-mail states that the family, which also includes Jason's younger brother, Michael, hopes "someone, somewhere will see the story and come forward with information that will help solve our son's case and provide the answers we've longed for."

In addition to media coverage, Kelly Jolkowski has established Project Jason, through which she distributes personal identification kits. More information about the kits and other projects related to Jason Jolkowski can be found at www.projectjason.org and www.missingjason.com.

http://www.theindependent.com/stori...missing28.shtml

I just watched Montel! :clap: :clap:

You looked great Kelly!Im so thankful you had the oppertunity to appear on the show but Im sorry you didn't get to plug projectjason!!!!!!! I also wished Montel pointed out,when he was talking with Kim from The Center for Missing Adults,that not only do more adults go missing(Montel seemed really shocked by that! ) more MALES are the ones to go missing ! They did a great job on your segment! :woohoo:

Thanks Messie!

I don't get to see it here until 3pm. I'm already hearing lots of good things from people all over who have already seen it.

http://www.theomahachannel.com/family/3954927/detail.html

'Montel' To Feature Missing Benson Teen
Jason Jolkowski Disappeared 3 Years Ago

POSTED: 11:26 am CST November 29, 2004
UPDATED: 11:30 am CST November 29, 2004

OMAHA, Neb. -- The story of a missing teenager from Benson will get national attention Monday.

Jason Jolkowski

Jason Jolkowski disappeared more than three years ago. He was 19 years old.

At 3 p.m. on KETV channel 7, Montel Williams will host a show on missing people.

Jason's mother, Kelly Jolkowski, hopes the attention will bring his family some clues.

"There's somebody who knows what happened and perhaps where he is, and we'd just like to reach that person and ask them to please come forward and find the answers we so desire," Jolkowski said.

Jason's story and three others will be featured on "Montel."

Anyone with information on the disappearance of Jason Jolkowski can contact the Omaha Crime Stoppers at (402) 444-STOP.

As I told you on the phone Kelly, you all did a great job. It was especially good to family have Jason featured on a national program. Maybe the right person saw it and he/she will come forward.

I think everyone should write Montel and saw how good the show was. He needs to do more of these missing person programs without Sylvia Browne.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all once again for all of the love and support our family has been shown, not just over the last few days, but for these past 3 ½ years. This support has had a great impact on our ability to deal with our situation, and face each day without Jason, living with the “not knowing”.

One of my dreams was to get national coverage for Jason. With a clueless case like ours, we needed it. We also knew what great odds we were going against to get attention, as young males and clueless cases never make it on national TV. We are very blessed indeed.

Now that Jason’s (and the others) story has hit the airwaves, we have some forward momentum that we MUST take advantage of. Often, competing networks and studios will watch their competitor’s shows. While this story is fresh in their minds, we need to go out and request this story from another national media outlet.

There are two things I am going to ask of you. The first one is to contact the Montel Show and let them know how pleased you are that they had a show about missing adults. It’s a win-win situation for all of us everytime we can get more faces out there and make people aware of this tragic situation.

There is an online form to fill out here:

http://www.montelshow.com/whats_your_POV/pov.htm

The second thing I ask if you is in relation to the forward momentum. I want to see Oprah Winfrey do a story on missing people. As you know, Oprah has a huge audience, and people listen to what she has to say. An appearance on her show could have a huge impact, which would send ripples in so many directions, you cannot even imagine it.

I would like you to submit a show request on her website. Write whatever is in your heart. It does not have to be about Jason, Project Jason, or me. I’ll leave that up to you. The main thing is to get our cause and those faces on national TV!

Here is the link:

http://www.oprah.com/email/reach/email_showideas.jhtml

Thank you for taking action to help those who are not present with us, but who remain in our hearts forever.

Many blessings,
Kelly

Thank you, Amanda. It's funny, but I was talking to one of Georgina DeJesus' Aunts the other night, and she thought I was you. They must not have understood our Amanda Berry story and the relationships there. :)

Kelly

I just emailed them both! Good Luck! I asked Oprah to do a week long segment dedicated to the missing. Sadly enough, a week wouldn't even begin to scratch the surface. I also asked them to check out Project Jason - you have done amazing, wonderful, and positive things throughout this horrific situation! God's blessings to you Kelly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member