Netflix or Amazon Prime recommendations

One of my favorite films of all time is Mr. Sunshine on Netflix. EPIC.

Cinematography is fabulous; lots of romance; historical; massive heroism; great acting. The only caveat is that, like much Asian film, it can be difficult at first. We watched two episodes every night, rewatching the last one again as the first one on the next evening. After about six episodes, we’d “caught up” to the series, so rewatched those first six while waiting for the newest one to come out. It was so worth it. Those episodes really lay the groundwork for the rest of the film.

In my estimation, Mr. Sunshine is in the top 10 films of all time.

Anyone into Korean dramas? Some are really fun and addictive to watch.

One I especially loved is on Netflix called Crash Landing on You. The premise sounds silly—a South Korean woman paraglides and accidentally lands in North Korea. Crazy, right? :p Wonderful cast of characters she encounters and gets to know in North Korea while she tries to get home.

I was sad when it finally ended (lots of episodes!). A mixture of romance, comedy, drama, action and suspense. It made me cry at times (heartwarming tearjerker tears). :)

Crash Landing on You (TV Series 2019–2020) - IMDb
I see that I’m responding several years late to this post, but I wanted to chime in on K-drama and CLOY in particular. We watch mostly Asian film, all of which is generally included in the description “K-drama”.

As I mentioned in my previous post, much Asian film spends quite a bit of time up front laying the groundwork for the rest of the film and we’ve often found that it can take up to several episodes to “get into” the film. We usually are thankful that we stuck with it, though. Also, often Asian films are more complex than western ones, and involve flashing back and forth between eras and generations, often of several families. Again, though, so rewarding if one sticks with it.

Another caveat about K-dramas in general: They are known for having weak and frustrating endings! I’d say endings are usually the weakest point in any K-drama.

That being said, CLOY is VERY easy watching (and fun, especially if you like rom-coms). I won’t bother to say anything about the ending, except that it’s classic K-drama.

Added to the list of my previous recommendations of the K-dramas Mr. Sunshine and Extraordinary Attorney Woo, as well as the previous poster’s CLOY, I’d add these:

Life
What She Put on the Table
Immortal Classic
Something in the Rain.

Something in the Rain stars the same lead as CLOY, and is a total rom-com. So fun. (But the ending…!)

The Outsider - HBO Max
Series
Based on Stephen King’s novel, this psychological thriller follows the grim murder of a boy and the mysterious forces surrounding the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter
Back