NH NH - Christopher Bird, 25, Windham, NamUs MP 38217, 29 July 1984

rats

Justice for Sheridan Jane Doe.
Reaction score
A family friend posted this article referring to Christopher as her cousin.

New Hampshire unsolved case file: What happened to Christopher Bird?

Christopher Bird, a 25-year-old who lived and worked as a teacher in Haverhill, Massachusetts, was last seen on July 29, 1984 by a friend at the D&Q Stables in Windham.

His vehicle was found abandoned on Aug. 3, 1984 at the Methuen Mall, which closed in 1997.

Officials said the circumstances surrounding Bird’s disappearance are highly suspicious.

According to court documents, a man accused of sexual assault could be connected to Bird’s disappearance.

Richard Brunt, 74, was arrested June 26 in Lakeland, Florida, as a fugitive from justice.

--

According to court documents, investigators said there is probable cause to believe that Bird "is likely deceased and that he was likely murdered."

christopher-bird-1-1531826802.jpg

I hope she has a better picture somewhere, or someone from her family does.

Also on NamUs: Missing Person Case

Cold case suspect in Manchester court for unrelated sexual assault | New Hampshire

MANCHESTER — Richard Brunt, 74, appeared in a Manchester courtroom Thursday, but not for the 1984 cold case killing he is suspected of.
[....]
Looming over the detention hearing was a 1984 cold case murder involving Massachusetts missing person Christopher Bird, who went camping with Brunt in July 1984 and was never seen again.

Bird was last seen with Brunt at D&Q Stables in Windham and, as Bird’s body has never been found, he is still officially listed as a missing person.

New Hampshire law enforcement believe they have evidence Brunt killed Bird, according to previous newspaper accounts. In April 2017, investigators traveled to Florida to question him.

I knew Chris. He was a family friend. I know for a fact there are better pictures of him but I don't know why they won't release them. I was 11 when he went missing. Chris was my uncle's best friend. I loved Chris. I remember my whole family talking about how weird the case was especially with his car at the MM. My grandmother kept his picture above the sink and I'm pretty sure right up until she died she prayed for him everyday since 1984. I didn't know Chris had a memorial so I'm hoping to get to go see that soon. I have always wondered what happened. It may sound weird but I do think of him often even after all these years. Even though I was 11 he was just one of those guys you just love as a kid, him being a teacher and all. No one really talks about him anymore. His wife moved on years ago. I think everyone on that side just wants to forget or be in denial, it kinda irks me. That's probably why they never released a better picture. Chris was a great guy. Posting this for Chris.

I'm so sorry to hear that about your loss, @Recka73 , though I'm also glad to hear that he was well loved. I don't think it's at all weird to still think of him regularly. Losses when people are kids are so sharp, and it speaks volumes about who he was as a person that you miss him so.

There's so little available out there. It looks like NH was looking into it a few years back.

Christopher Bird, Windham, 1984. Earlier this year, the CCU first became aware of this historic missing person’s case. Christopher Bird, a young teacher and resident of Haverhill, MA, was last seen by a friend at a horse farm in Windham. His vehicle was found abandoned in Methuen, MA and his disappearance was considered highly unusual. Historically speaking, this case involved multiple law enforcement agencies from both New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Over the past year a great deal of effort has gone into learning the details of the 1984 investigation of Mr. Bird’s disappearance. The CCU has consolidated the files from these various agencies and determined what role they each played in the larger investigation. Investigative work on this case is expected to continue into 2017.
https://www.doj.nh.gov/criminal/cold-case/documents/2016-status-report.pdf

Also at the Charley Project.

1659126108330.jpeg
  • Last seen alive: July 29, 1984
  • Case status: Missing person
Christopher Bird, 25, was last seen on July 29, 1984, by a friend at the D&Q Stables in Windham. Bird lived and worked as a teacher in Haverhill, Massachusetts.

His vehicle was found abandoned on Aug. 3, 1984, at the Methuen Mall, which closed in 1997.

Officials said the circumstances surrounding Bird’s disappearance are highly suspicious.

Authorities have identified a man as being possibly connected to Bird's case. New Hampshire State Police said troopers traveled to Florida in 2017 to talk to Richard Brunt about the missing person investigation for Bird.

WMUR-TV

New Hampshire State Police

Police said Brunt once worked in Haverhill as a teacher and principal at New Life Christian Academy.

According to court documents, investigators said there is probable cause to believe that Bird "is likely deceased and that he was likely murdered."

Authorities also said there is probable cause to think that Brunt was involved, but he has not been charged in the case.

New Hampshire officials said Brunt has recently died.

July 29, 2022

5678DMNH.jpg
5678DMNH1.jpg
5678DMNH2.jpg
5678DMNH3.jpg

Circa 1984; Circa 1980; Circa 1976; Circa 1976

<<Circumstances of Disappearance​

Christopher, a principal and former schoolteacher from Haverhill, Massachusetts, was reported missing by his wife on July 30, 1984. Christopher and a friend left on a camping trip four days earlier. The friend, the last to person to see Christopher, told police he last saw Christopher at D&Q Stables in Windham, New Hampshire.

Christopher's 1974 Mercury Comet was found abandoned on August 3, 1984, at the mall in Methuen, Massachusetts. Both rear tires had been deflated.

Authorities say there is probable cause to think the friend was involved in Christopher's disappearance, but he has not been charged in the case. Foul play is suspected in Christopher's disappearance.>>

Oddly, the name listed in the title at Doe Network lists Christopher as Christopher "Hill" The photos and rest of the information is for Christopher Bird. I think it's just a mistake.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee
Back