NJ NJ - Nicholas Maschuci, 60, Kearny, 18 Sep 1974

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Nicholas James Maschuci

• cache.php
  • cache.php
  • cache.php
  • cache.php
Maschuci, circa 1974; Maschuci's car

• Missing Since 09/18/1974
  • Missing From Kearny, New Jersey
  • Classification Missing
  • Date of Birth 12/03/1913 (104)
  • Age 60 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8 - 5'9, 210 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A white ribbed polyester zip-up shirt, gray polyester bell-bottom pants, white-patterned leather Beatle-style half boots with zippers on the side, a white gold watch with a black face, a silver Blessed Mother medal around his neck, and a white gold pinky ring with a 4-carat diamond stone and .10-carat diamonds on each side.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Gray hair, blue eyes. Maschuci wears gold-rimmed bifocal eyeglasses. He has an artificial right eye. He is balding and has dark body hair all over his body. Maschuci had clear polish on his fingernails at the time of his disappearance. On both feet, the pinky toe was crossed over the next toe. He may use the name Nicky Gary.

Details of Disappearance

Maschuci was last seen in Kearny, New Jersey on September 18, 1974. He left home for a business meeting in Brooklyn, New York and has never been heard from again.

At the time of his disappearance, he was driving a white 1974 Mercury Grand Marquis, borrowed from a dealership in Union City, New Jersey. A photo of the vehicle is posted with this case summary.

Few details are available in Maschuci's case.

http://charleyproject.org/case/nicholas-james-maschuci

Nicholas Left his home on Sept 18 1974 for a business meeting to Brooklyn Never to be seen again.

Wearing Gray Pants White Shirt polyester Ribbed with Gold Zipper in front had wide Collar, White 1/2 Patent leather boots Gold Bifocals Glasses. Mr Maschuci had A glass eye. He wore a 4 Kt diamond pinky ring white gold /white gold watch with black face and white gold tear drop at the 12:00 hand similar to a Movado. Wore a Blessed Mother Medal around his neck in Silver.

Transportation:

Vehicle makeMercury
Vehicle modelGrand Marquis
Year1974
StyleSedan
Vehicle colorWhite

Vehicle Comments: He borrowed a car from a dealer ship in Union City new jersey.
Loaner car. Ascione Mothers.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9701/

Hi
Thank you so much for the interest in my father’s case.
I found this website by accident tonight reading an article about a woman that reported her mother’s boyfriend chopped up a body in the 70s and buried it in their backyard in Queens. I have never stop searching for my dad. I am new to the site so please any advice you can give me would be helpful. The police do not help nor are they interested
I advocate for the missing myself and spoken quite a few states to state troopers. I feel that I need to speak to this woman that reported the body. The police lead you to a dead end street. The Kearny police tried to cover up this case? Why?
The mug shot picture was because he found somebody trying to break into our house at 3 AM and he slapped him. He wasn’t 21 and his father pressed charges against my dad.They we’re dropped in court.
Just wanted to clear that up.
Thanks again
Fran

Last edited:
There is not much out there but I came across two references to Nicholas Maschuci in FBI reports released as part of the big 1992 release of JFK assassination documents. The references are minor and I cannot confirm it refers to the right Nicholas Maschuci (but I cannot find another who fits), but they are made in connection with investigation of Santo Trafficante, the mafia boss. The papers can be found at HighView Image (archives.gov) and docid-32293435.pdf (theblackvault.com).

It would obviously be useful if anyone could shed any light on this and whether there were connections as this could raise obvious possibilities (or rule them out). The papers seem to link Maschuci with Benjamin Golob, who was definitely a mafia associate as a front man for gambling in Cuba and the Dominican Republic. Again, whether this is correct is interesting. All of these references may just be coincidence (wrong place at the wrong time) or even someone else with the same name - but it would be useful to clarify.

I have only just come back to this case. Another interesting but inconclusive piece of information makes me wonder still further about the possibility of Nicholas' links to organised crime. As well as the government documents referenced in #9 above I have now found a newspaper clipping from 1954 at Maschuci - Newspapers.com. This notes a Nicholas Maschuci as acting President of local 1247 of the International Longshoremen's Association. These union branches controlled the east coast docks, in this case in New Jersey, and were notorious for being under mob control. If this is the missing man it would be amazing if he did not have mob connections.

The more I look into this case, the more possible mob connections appear. The latest is a possible family connection. Joan Garafola died in 2016 and her obituary at https://www.legacy.com/funeral-home...ary?pid=177247438&v=batesville&view=guestbook shows Fran Maschuci as her cousin. I think this is Nicholas' daughter as various stories easily found provide her named in respect of her father's disappearance. The point is that Joan was married to Anthony Garafola (confirmed from a 1954 marriage record on Ancestry). I am fairly sure that this is the Anthony Garafola who owned the Rag Doll nightclub in New Jersey. He is listed in various stories as having criminal connections, Airport Mail Thief Identifies 30 as His Associates, Rivals or ‘Fences’ (Published 1971), CQ Almanac Online Edition, Organized Crime: Stolen Securities. It is clear Garafola was deep in the New Jersey mob.

A combination of the Maschuci report from the Kennedy files and involvement with the Longshoremen local convince me of the Maschuci mob involvement when added to these family links.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back