Reaction score
JGalindez.jpg

Jesus Maria de Galindez
Missing since March 12, 1956 from New York City, New York
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date of Birth: 41 years old
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 41 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'1"; 160 lbs. slim.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White Male. Spanish. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    • Clothing: May have been wearing a dark gray overcoat, gray/green fedora and carrying a dark brown briefcase.
  • Nickname/Alias:Jesús de Galíndez Suárez

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Columbia Professor Jesus de Galindez disappeared from his home at 30 Fifth Avenue, Manhattan, NY on March 12, 1956.
    Jesus de Galindez was the Spanish Republican exile and Basque government delegate in New York. In exile from BasqueLand, Galindez became the Delegate of the Basque Government in the Dominican Republic, that was under the dictatorship of General Trujillo. His doctoral thesis research on Trujillo's regime soon necessitated his departure from the Dominican Republic to New York where in 1949 he was named Delegate to the Basque Government.
    He taught International Law at Columbia.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

New York City Police Department
    646-610-6914

Source Information:
    Astero
    Google Books
The Doe Network: Case File 3628DMNY

(Forgive me, I am drawing a blank on the particular case) but this reminds me of the man who was found in the snow, I believe somewhere in the Northeast, New York possibly...he was dressed in an expensive suit and I want to say they thought he may not have been from the US, or his death may have somehow been related to a MOB. I can’t for the life of me remember anything other than the crime scene photo. His arms were frozen out in front of him almost like a mannequin. :confused:o_O Anyone happen to know which case I’m thinking of?

This
(Forgive me, I am drawing a blank on the particular case) but this reminds me of the man who was found in the snow, I believe somewhere in the Northeast, New York possibly...he was dressed in an expensive suit and I want to say they thought he may not have been from the US, or his death may have somehow been related to a MOB. I can’t for the life of me remember anything other than the crime scene photo. His arms were frozen out in front of him almost like a mannequin. :confused:o_O Anyone happen to know which case I’m thinking of?

This guy?

405UMNY

Well... no, I don’t think that’s him. Similar but I know the crime scene photo I was referring to would have been one of the first to come up when I searched for more on ^^him, and it didn’t. o_O I don’t think I’m mixing two different cases but it’s possible. I was pretty sure the one found in the snow was found sometime in the 50s/60s. Now I’m going to have to find it :D will drive me bonkers! Thank you helping though! I’m probably going to feel silly when I do find it, but it’ll give me a chance to look for possible matches to Jesus.

The most interesting aspect of this case is the involvement of Morris Ernst, who produced the report exonerating the Trujillo government from the allegations detailed in Charley Project and elsewhere. Whilst it seems certain that Trujillo did have Galindez murdered, it is unclear how Ernst became involved. His reputation was as a civil liberties lawyer but he was also very close to powerful political figures (including Truman) and it may be better to see him as a political fixer and fifth columnist for the establishment within the civil liberties movement. If this is a fair assessment it seems he may have been given the job of creating a whitewash by Trujillo with the active compliance of the US government. You wonder if there is anything in his papers, which are extensive and kept at the Ransom Center at the University of Texas at Austin.
If anyone wants to solve this I suspect the papers archive is the place to start and to look not only for direct evidence but also any unexpected gaps - as those also involved may have not wanted a written record.

The politics around the disappearance of Galindez, and later, the death of the US pilot who flew him to the DR are something else.

For example:

Foreign Relations of the United States, 1955–1957, American Republics: Multilateral; Mexico; Caribbean, Volume VI - Office of the Historian. (“Mr. [J. Edgar] Hoover said that the case had also taken on somewhat of a political aspect in that Franklin D. Roosevelt, Jr., and Charles P. Clark had just registered as agents for the Dominican Government.” - lol, ed. note))

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esig
Back