Identified! NY - Manhattan, 'Midtown Jane Doe', WhtFem 16-21, 337UFNY, under concrete, ring w/ 'P McG', Feb'03 Patricia McGlone

in 1977 police found out that a lot of girls were coming from Minnesota and Minneapolis for Prostitution in Manhattan they were being recrutited

http://www.nytimes.com/1977/11/08/a...strip-2-minneapolis-police-officers.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/1977/11/10/a...st-vanish-from-8th-avenue-during-hunt-by.html
Accompanied by Detectives Matthew Rosenthal and James Rothstein of the New York Police, the Minneapolis policemen, along with a Minneapolis juvenile justice planner, Carol Spradski, were taken on a tour of city streets frequented by prostitutes and filled with massage parlors and topless bars. They roamed the Minnesota Strip, a notorious section of Eighth Avenue in the 40's and 50's, and the East 40's and 50's.

https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com/tag/prostitution-in-times-square/

I happen to just come across this girl

kind of looks like the reconstruction and stats fit
http://www.missingpeople.net/women/sherry_lynn_rail.htm
Sherry Lynn Railsherryr[1].jpgSherry31[1].jpg337UFNY[1].jpg15400-f0823f8e9beb09dad0a512e4c67d18dd[1].jpgM030825c[1].jpg

White female, born 1956, 5 foot 4 inches (163 cm), 120*
pounds (54 kg), long light brown hair, green eyes, tattoo
of butterfly left shoulder blade.
Rail is a known drug user and sex trade worker in the
downtown east side area.* Last seen in January 1984 and
reported missing in January 1987.
Please forward any information to:
The Vancouver Police Department (Canada)
Missing Persons Unit
(604) 717-2530 or Crime Stoppers (604) 669-8477
File # 86-086028

http://www.missingpeople.net/home.html

I have been thinking.. when the cops said there was Fresh Cement.. what did they mean.. fresh cement as in weeks months years? fresh as in different from the 80 year old cement of the building?.. I was also thinking of the cement.. someone does not just show up with like 50 bags of cement and start bringing them into the basement one by one and start working on their coffin.. it had to be done when other work was being done so it would not look so obvious..so there are things I started thinking of.. There used to be the Club The Scene that resided in that basement

The club closed in 1970. According to Sterling Morrison, then of the Velvet Underground, the closure was prompted by Steve Paul's refusal to pay protection money to the New York Mafia. This resulted in fights being started at the club, placing its liquor license in jeopardy.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scene_(performance_venue)

the basement club closed down the building seemed in disrepair but not completely abandoned. My husband brought up the part of the windows being cemented and if we could find out through buildings department when they got the work permit to do that (yes here in nyc you need a work permit for everything) but anyway.. because the entire building was recently demolished and a new one put up in its place the old records are gone sadly. so I went on the internet to find photos or info or something as to any indication as of when the windows and doorways were cemented and bricked up.
the best I could come up with is this

http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/2013/05/301-west-46th.html

Erica Duvall said...
I LIVED THERE IN 1988 ON THE TOP FLOOR..IT WAS MY FRIEND MONICAS APARTMENT AND ALL THE OTHER APARTMENTS ON THE FLOOR HAD BRICKS CEMENTED IN FRONT OF THE DOORS OF THE OTHER APARTMENTS.

Which to me leads me to think that the woman was killed after that basement The Scene club closed in 1970 but before 1988 which by the year 1988 the doors and windows were cemented in.. I personally still have a feeling it was more like mid to late 1970s she died or maybe 1980 or 81... That is just my theory maybe a super or a porter that worked there. Or someone that was squatting in one of the apartments that were being bricked up and had to leave. They Could of had killed the girl long time before and had her in the rug and did not want to get caught so brought her to the basement and stole bags of cement and waited until the workers were gone to make the cement coffin.

Usually when workers do work they bring all the stuff through the basement instead of the front door.. and leave the materials there until the job is over.

then I was also reading a little more and I came across this a little more insight on the time and what was going on

http://michellemaren.blogspot.com/2015/02/runaway-baby-part-2.html

A 12-year-old prostitute named Veronica was thrown out of a Times Square Hotel by her pimp. Another girl of 15 was chopped to pieces by one of her tricks.

In January 1979, the same month I arrived in New York, a teen prostitute named Helen Sikes went missing from Times Square. Eventually her body was found with the legs missing. Her limbs were later discovered a block away.

In December of that year, two young women were found ablaze in a sleazy hotel on 42nd Street. Their heads and hands were missing. One woman was identified as 22-year-old Deedeh Goodarzi. Nothing was ever learned about the second woman, only that she was around 16 and weighed 110 pounds.
(I have searched under unidentified women and she does not come up so I don't know if she has been identified)

Richard Cottingham, a computer operator at Empire State Blue Cross Blue Shield in Manhattan, was convicted in 1981 and 1984 for these two murders and four additional killings that he had committed beginning in 1967. He also assaulted, tortured and mutilated countless other young prostitutes who had survived.
------------------------
As I sat on my little bed in my mini-bedroom (a.k.a. closet) at the West 47th Street Covenant House group home, I felt thankful - thankful that I now had a roof over my head and hot food in my tummy.

At the group home, there was a 12-year-old streetwalker named Lucy. She was going to testify against her pimp who, according to the Vice Squad and FBI, was a very big player in the New York crime scene during the Seventies.

That March, Lucy (along with Father Bruce Ritter) appeared on a 60 Minutes special report on teenage prostitution titled “Runaways, Throwaways
I sat and watched the episode with Lucy and the other girls in the group home. Lucy was interviewed while in shadow.

On a daily basis, there were strange black vehicles parked outside of the group home. Creepy men peered at our building through darkly tinted car windows. Sometimes, they very, very slowly drove up and down the block - peering all the way.

From behind prison walls, Lucy’s pimp had put out a hit on her.

We were all extremely frightened and asked the staff to relocate Lucy. They did and I never knew what became of her. that I thought was interesting

Does anyone know if there are any photos of the Bra that was found?. They were able to tell the size of the bra. I am assuming it had a tag of some sort unless they took measurements. But I think by looking at the bra and material it might help to be able to date it. Also the Bulova watch was there a photo of that? and lastly the Rust colored rug. would of been interesting to know if it was shag because shag would date you to the 60s and 70s I believe. So many things that could help if there was more information.

"Midtown Jane Doe"

From the Doe Network---

The victim was discovered on February 10, 2003 in Manhattan,

New York City, New York
  • She was a victim of homicide by strangulation
  • Skeletal Remains
  • The time of death occured sometime after 1988

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 15 - 21 years old. Several of her teeth and bones had not reached full maturity, suggesting she was between 17 and 19 years old.
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Light-colored hair. Petite build. She wore a size 32 A bra.
  • Dentals: Available. She had expensive dental work at one point in her life, but her teeth also had severe decay, suggesting she may have been from a family of means but may have fallen on hard times, perhaps getting hooked on drugs, living on the streets or working as a prostitute.
  • Clothing/Jewelry: She was wearing a gold-colored ring inscribed with the initials P McG. Other clues include a brassiere and remains of pantyhose and a standard 1966 Bulova watch.
  • Other: Probably of Irish descent. The victim may also have abused drugs, and been a prostitute - scraps of glittery clothing were also recovered at the scene
  • The victim's skeletal remains were found inside a cement coffin, hidden behind a boiler in the basement of a rundown building on West 46th Street in Hell's Kitchen. Construction workers using a sledgehammer in the building's basement discovered the remains February 10, 2003. Police say the building was used by prostitutes and that the basement could be reached from several points inside, as well as through a steel trap door in an adjacent parking lot.
    The killer had bound her hands and feet with an extension cord and circled it around her neck, then wrapped her body in a patch of rust-colored carpet.
    A 1968 coin was found near her body. An International Ladies Garment Workers tag of a type sewn into clothing in 1988 was recovered with the victim.
Some additional info....
The remains of a plastic bag later discovered to have held rat poison was also found near the body. The rat poison was not manufactured before 1979. A plastic toy soldier was also found near the body.

A hair was found on the rug which did not come from the victim, suggesting the killer was a white male.

Police researched every missing persons report the FBI had on file with the initials "P McG" but were able to eliminate all 11 who matched. They then compiled a list of of over 500 women who had been arrested in the US with those initials, but were able to rule out all but five. (I don't know about these remaining five).

The forensic anthropologist who developed the measurements on this girl actually came up with a height range of 4'10" to 5' 4".

Police checked the serial number on the watch, but were not able to develop any clues.

Thoughts..
This area of "Hell's Kitchen" was very rough at the time of this young woman's death. 1988 saw NYC set a new record for homocides, many of them drug-related. Today, the area has been cleaned up significantly. 301 W 46th St now houses small businesses, among them a video store. The basement is used for a large refrigerator storage unit belonging to the restaurant next door.
Workers were clearing the basement in order to build that very unit when "Midtown Jane Doe" was discovered by a worker breaking a concrete slab for removal.

The slab
The slab was roughly 6 feet by 5 feet, and about a foot deep. This is highly significant, I believe...I looked into this, and discovered that in order to build a "coffin' this large, it would require approximately 45 bags of ready-mix concrete weighing 80 pounds each! (Confirmed by my friendly local Lowe's associate). This much concrete would be extremely difficult to pour by hand, and would require a mixing machine or delivery. I have tried to research any construction taking place in the area at the time, but the building permit website is so convoluted it may take a personal visit to obtain any answers.

NYPD would not reveal if the items (the toy soldier, the rat poison bag) were located with the victim or were just on the floor at the time the concrete was poured.

The jewelry
I can find no description of the Bulova watch. The Accutron, the world's first all-electronic wristwatch, was released in 1960 and a large marketing campaign began in 1966 for this very watch. I would be interested in knowing if the watch had a stretch-metal band or leather band. As I recalled my '80s high school history (and confirmed by my favorite fashion consultant) girls would wear men's watches pushed far up on their forearms (you know what I mean if you've seen the Eric Stoltz/Mary Stuart Masterson movie Some Kind of Wonderful).

What is considered the most important clue to this young woman's identity is the ring, variously described as either gold or gold-colored. ( A better photo of the ring can be found on the AMW link below). The ring was found on the pinky of the victim. Consider...The victim was about 5' to 5'2" (an average of the determined height range) and, wearing a size 32A bra, would most likely have been about 100 pounds or so. Therefore, this ring would have been incredibly small for her to have worn it as a pinky ring. It would most likely not have been a man's ring. The letters "P McG" may have been her initials, or may have held some other significance for her, such as a parents' initials. Or, may just have been something she liked. I googled the letters but didn't come up with anything that seemed important.

Police indicate they believe she was of Irish descent. This might seem to confirm the letters being her initials. Is it possible she was visiting from Europe, and thus the lack of a report here in the US?

America's Most Wanted link:
http://www.amw.com/features/feature_story_detail.cfm?id=145&mid=0

The biggest question is who owned 301 W 46th St? The Durst family, Seymour Durst owned alot of the residential buildings in the West 40's. My friend worked for the Durst's and she had an apartment in one of their residential buildings on W 45th Street, where Jimmy's bar was.

Seymour is the father of "Robert Durst" . 1155 Ave of the America's cement was being poured around the time Kathleen Durst went missing in 1982.

Wiki lists their major building purchases, it does not mention the smaller residential buildings they owned, in the West 40's.

Shadowangel, I just wanted to make the suggestion on the ring since I didn't see it posted here or on the AMW site info that the ring is custom engraved with those initials and not only by jewelry stores but dept. stores started doing that some time ago just like mothers rings and what not. Also I think the initials could be for a boyfriend and not hers, just like the style with the watch you pointed out I remember the id bracelets and then rings shortly after having your bf's initials when you were going steady. The ring size also is not given whereas petite women tend to wear small size rings, I'm a size 5 so a seven or so may indicate it wasn't hers. From the AMW info I don't agree with the other variance of the initials because as a woman I wouldn't have it done in that order. Instead of say ex: Patricia McGowen reverse to Patrick for instance.

if the ring barely fits her it might belong to a child. I know in the victorian era they would even gift children rings. My ring size is so small I have to go to antique shops to find rings that fit. one ring was actually a babies/toddlers ring and it was gold with a diamond. Did this Jane Doe have a younger sibling or even a child at one point who this ring belonged to?

New York Post
December 21, 2003

STUMPED BY TOMB MYSTERY; COPS CHASE DECADES OLD CLUES IN PROBE OF GRUESOME "JANE DOE" SLAY

The killer bound the young woman's hands and feet with an extension cord and circled it around her neck. The murderer then wrapped her body in a patch of rust-colored carpet.

Next,the killer carried her down a darkened stairway into the dank basement of a neglected Hell's Kitchen building that was home to squatters, pimps, prostitutes, drug addicts and a popular gay nightclub.

The murderer dropped his burden in a far corner of the basement, next to an aging coal furnace, then mixed enough cement to build a foot-high slab roughly 6 feet wide and 5 feet long.

There, for up to 15 years, the body remained, under the concrete slab, in the basement of 301 W. 46th st, until a construction worker smashed through a section of the tomb with a sledgehammer Febuary 10 and discovered a human skull.

"He flagged down a beat cop, and we got the call" said Gerard Gardiner, a NYPD homicide detective who is now charged with the Jane Doe case.

"At this point we believe she was a young, middle-class woman who probably hopped on a bus to New York full of dreams, but who ended up on the streets" Gardiner said.......

Was there a maintenance man or orderly who lived and worked in the building?

I mixed concrete with my man recently to secure a foundation for our fence posts. Watched him pour it and mix the water in using a wheel barrow. Didn't take him much to get a ton of concrete going. he has worked in maintenance, contracting, and cellphone tower building. I think our perp probably had a similar job.

First, I want to thank whichever mod got me on here. It's been nearly a year of getting disabled before being activated. :banghead: Hooray, I finally made it in !!!:crazy:

Now on to this: I grew up in Hell's Kitchen and this particular case always bugged me. I lived in one of those tenements for about 14 years and the basements are the last place on earth anyone would ever want to go. Still, a superintendent has to go down there for boiler/water issues. I have always wondered who owned the building and who did the maintenance.
I still live in the city albeit on the upper west side now (one express train stop away from the building) and if anyone has any suggestions, I would be more than willing to try and check out info. My husband calls me tenacious (due to my success with my family genealogy) so I think I belong right here on WS. !!!
Glad to meet you all.

exactly what I'm screaming - and DQN :)

I came across this and its a list of all the buildings the Durst Organization owned along with the dates purchased and this building is not on the list. They owned ALOT of buildings and ones in the area but not this one.. Below is a list of the property addresses in the area Durst owned but not one is 301 west 46th

http://findingaids.cul.columbia.edu/ead/nnc-a/ldpd_11078295/print

3 West 46th St., New York, NY

11 West 46th St., New York, NY

53 W. 46th St., New York, NY

142 W. 46th St., New York, NY

425-429 West 46th Street, New York, NY

531-5 Eighth Ave., New York, NY

674 Eighth Ave., New York, NY

717/23 Eighth Ave., New York, NY

799/813 Eighth Ave., New York, NY

881-9 Eighth Ave., New York, NY

2180 Eighth Ave., New York, NY

2535-41 Eighth Ave., New York, NY

Through the department of Buildings I found that the owner/landlord of the Building was 46 ESTATES CORP. Looking into that I found that was created in 1981 so I believe that is when they purchased this building. I don't know who owned it before. The department of buildings shows lots of work permits and violations and complaints dating back to the 1970s unfortunately once you pass 1990 you cannot open the links and it just gives you a number so you don't really know what the work or violation or complaint was for.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/C...089782&requestid=4&previous.x=53&previous.y=2

Here is an example of one of the complaints where you can see who the owner of the building is

Complaint at:**301 WEST 46 STREET
BIN: 1089782
Borough:*MANHATTAN
ZIP:*10036
Re:**STAIRS ARE FALLING APART, FLOORS ARE SINKING IN, FIRE EXITSTAIRS ARE DAMAGE, AND THERE IS ONLY ONE FIRE EXIT

Category Code:
73***** FAILURE TO MAINTAIN

Assigned To:
MANHATTAN BOROUGH OFFICE
Priority:**C
Received:
**02/22/1991***11:06

Block:**1037
Lot:**30
Community Board:**104
Owner:
**46 ESTATES CORP

Last Inspection:**
03/28/1991 - - BY BADGE # 0703
Disposition:**
05/09/1991 - I2 - NO VIOLATION WARRANTED FOR COMPLAINT AT TIME OF INSPECTION
Comments:**
THE BUILDING HAS SIXTH-ONE FIRE ESCAPE; BUT THE INSPECTOR COULDN'T GET ACCESS TO THE INSIDE OF THE BUILDING

This is where I found some info on the owner.. looks like they owned more buildings they recently sold off.
https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2nsua3/46-estates-corp

This is just the landlord/owner and in the condition that the building was I am assuming they hired whoever to be the Super or Porter of the building.

We had one of those decrepit buildings on the corner of my block. The owner/landlord owned more buildings and did not care about that building. Used it as a tax write off. She used to hire anybody to be the Super/Porter. One time she hired this guy that was renting out the vacant abandoned apartments to druggies and homeless, mind you these apartments had no running water or electricity and were falling apart but he was making cash. Eventually the landlord found out and blocked off the apartments and kicked the super out..

Makes me think something like that could of happened in this case. I was also wondering if the police ever checked the Blocked off apartments in the building to see if the rug was a piece that matched any of the vacant abandoned apartments in the building.

Great finds Madam X, so a real slum lord owned that building. So it was most likely the super at the time. Obviously the owner never came around as long as he got his rent money and the super handled everything. He may have taken care of a few of the owners buildings at once. Perhaps she was living in the building "Rent free" she did the super wrong and was seeing other men. There fore the owner would not know a tenant went missing.

I have been watching Investigation ID. "Who is Jane Doe" the last episode had a woman that went missing around 1997, her body was found about 8 months later.

She was matched to her remains UNTIL 8 years later by the detectives on the case.

The unidentified remains were estimated at late 20's pre 30.
She was actually 47 years old, so it was passed over for many years, The detectives saw the composite sketch in a surrounding state and noticed the resemblance.

My point being it is not always the obvious.

I came across this girl..
Missing
Last seen alive: June 28, 1983

First Name: Kelly Kay
Middle Name: Kay
Last Name: Mcginniss

http://www.missingin.org/reg7182/kelly_kay_mcginniss.htm

except she might be a bit bigger than our midtown doe
attachment.php

The initials certainly seem to go with the name, great find(s)!
Kelly is considered to possibly be a victim of GR (serial killer) although her remains have not been located.
Wondering if Kelly might have been acquainted in some way with this uid if they are not one and the same person?
This is Kelly's thread..
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Seattle-28-June-1983&p=13219033#post13219033

The initials certainly seem to go with the name, great find(s)!
Kelly is considered to possibly be a victim of GR (serial killer) although her remains have not been located.
Wondering if Kelly might have been acquainted in some way with this uid if they are not one and the same person?
This is Kelly's thread..
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Seattle-28-June-1983&p=13219033#post13219033

My experience with reporting matches for Kelly is that her LE will not even consider possible matches that aren't consistent with the Green River killer. I don't know whether they have evidence that hasn't been disclosed to the public, or they just have tunnel vision about it. I'd like to assume they know what they're doing.

The biggest question is who owned 301 W 46th St? The Durst family, Seymour Durst owned alot of the residential buildings in the West 40's. My friend worked for the Durst's and she had an apartment in one of their residential buildings on W 45th Street, where Jimmy's bar was.

Seymour is the father of "Robert Durst" . 1155 Ave of the America's cement was being poured around the time Kathleen Durst went missing in 1982.

Wiki lists their major building purchases, it does not mention the smaller residential buildings they owned, in the West 40's.

Madamx located the buildings that the Durst owned. 301 West 46th was not one of them, However on the list is
303-313 West 46th: the 303 building was the first building on the next block. The Durstd owned the entire block. There is a date listed with 303-313 West 46th Street,however I do not know what 1974 represents. http://findingaids.cul.columbia.edu/...11078295/print

This girl matches mid town Jane Doe. Lynn Schulze missing1971 https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6975/22/

The last paragraph in her missing profile on the Charlie Project reads the following: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/schulze_lynne.html
Robert Durst is a suspect in her disappearance. Robert and Kathleen Durst owned a Health Food Store "All Good Things" in Vermont, where Lynn Schulze shopped.

I sent Lynne Schulze in as a match for Mid town Jane Doe, and notified the authorities of the Durst connection with the building next door or the first building on the next block.

Madamx located the buildings that the Durst owned. 301 West 46th was not one of them, However on the list is
303-313 West 46th: the 303 building was the first building on the next block. The Durstd owned the entire block. There is a date listed with 303-313 West 46th Street,however I do not know what 1974 represents. http://findingaids.cul.columbia.edu/...11078295/print

This girl matches mid town Jane Doe. Lynn Schulze missing1971 https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6975/22/

The last paragraph in her missing profile on the Charlie Project reads the following: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/schulze_lynne.html
Robert Durst is a suspect in her disappearance. Robert and Kathleen Durst owned a Health Food Store "All Good Things" in Vermont, where Lynn Schulze shopped.

I sent Lynne Schulze in as a match for Mid town Jane Doe, and notified the authorities of the Durst connection with the building next door or the first building on the next block.

Very interesting but chilling!
Circumstances
Lynne was last seen on Court Steet (US Route 7) in Middlebury, Vermont outside of the bus stop and health food store.

Correction 301 West 46th Street was directly next to 303 -313 West 46th Street. There is a hotel there now. In the 70's all of these buildings were "row" buildings. Durst's owned 303 directly next to 301 West 46th street. The Irony of it is a construction worker fell to his death putting up the hotel at 301 West 46th street. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/exclusive-worker-fell-death-air-force-vet-article-1.2214773

attachment.php

This link you can pan the view from 300 -313, you can see how all the buildings are attached. The hotel now stands where 301 was.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...8a4bfc!8m2!3d40.7602635!4d-73.9886033!6m1!1e1

Here is the old club that was 301 West 46th Street where the body was found in the basement.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 313W46.jpg
    313W46.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 301 W 46th Street.jpg
    301 W 46th Street.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 234
Here is the answer I received from Namus regarding a match for Jane Doe Midtown and Lynne Schulze.

" Thank you for this submission. We are unable to conclusive compare these cases at this time however, I have forwarded your email to the investigating agencies and they will contact you directly if they have any questions."

Lynne's site reads: DNA

Guidelines for Collection of DNA

My understanding of this: the family has not submitted the DNA sample. AM I wrong?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back