Identified! NY - Manhattan, 'Midtown Jane Doe', WhtFem 16-21, 337UFNY, under concrete, ring w/ 'P McG', Feb'03 Patricia McGlone

I just read through this post and I have a question. Everyone has been speculating about the ring, the garment tag, the toy soldier and the rat poison. What about the rug? Was it regular carpeting? A throw rug? Any idea when it was manufactured? To whom it was sold to? Just a thought.

I would be curious to know where the rat poisioning and the toy soldier were found in relation to the body. I would also be curious about what your thoughts are about the watch. I think someone mentioned it was from 1966, is that correct?

The reason I mention this is that I found a missing person that I believe is a good match for this Jane Doe but the problem is that she disappeared in 1970.

Denise Sheehy is a possible match in the following ways:

Her surname is probably the most intriguing in possibilities that this could be her in that it is Irish. Just as the police predicted the UID to be.

Her height estimate matches Midtown Jane Does at 5'2"

Her age when she went missing was 16

She is a good proximity match: She dissapeared from Queens County, New York

She was supposedly wearing a Gold ring with the initials DS, and Gold boys school ring

Regarding the watch near the UID, how likely would it be in your opinion that she would be wearing a 22 year old watch vs. wearing a 4 year old watch? It's possible of course, but in all likelihood, I would make the assumption in the favor that the watch the UID was wearing was not nearly that old when she was wearing it. This is in favor of the fact that I believe Denise Sheehy should at least be looked at.

What do you think???

Denise's page:
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5533/89

Did you ever follow up on this possibility? It looks quite likely to me based on circumstances and demographics.

It's fairly common for girls to wear watches that belonged to a mother/grandmother/aunt, so it could be quite a bit older. But it could be new, too.

In my opinion she was found in a lower level, like a basement or below a building, my point being I don't think the Rat Poison or the Toy Soldier have anything to do with our doe. If you go in my Michigan basement or under my house Kids played with those all the time in the basement, in the dirt. They were probably just left by some kids playing. The rat poison, ITS A BASEMENT! it was left to kill a rodent problem they may have had over the years, I think nothing more than that about those two objects. Not meaning they cannot help date our victim, because they can. If they were buried around the same vicinity at the same time that could help date the UID. I really don't think a possible runaway/vagabond/prostitute in Hells Kitchen carries around a small plastic toy soldier for fun. I dunno just a blurb...

I think with the clothing label date being in dispute now, someone should take a look at Tammy Akers. I had logged on to post her and saw a previous person had suggested her. She just looks too much like the doe. Thanks.

Carl, regarding the Judith O'Donnell match, the height is definitely a huge discrepancy, but according the website linked previously (and linked below), the clothing tag was actually misidentified. According to the link, the real company that manufactured her clothing dissolved in 1973, which could push her time of death back tremendously. Check it out and see what you think:

http://missing-and-unidentified.org/midtown_jane_doe/study.html

I can't get that link to work so I'm just going to take what you said as fact.

With that in mind I've found a large group of women that this could possibly be.

buck_rosemary.jpg

Rosemary Hamilton Buck
Went missing from Syracuse, New York in 1973.
In range: Age and Height and Hair colour

tillinghast_sheryl.jpg

Sheryl Ann Tillinghast
Went Missing from Wassaic, New York in 1973
In range: Age and Height

sheehy_denise.jpg

Denise Marie Sheehy
Went Missing from Woodside, New York in 1970
In range: Age and Height

loomis_charlotte.jpg

Charlotte Jean Loomis
Went missing from Eatontown, New Jersey in 1972
In range: Age and Height and hair colour

hopler_sandra.jpg

Sandra Lee Hopler
Went missing from La Plume, Pennsylvania in 1973
In range: Age and Hair colour. Height is three inches off at 5'4, while not unheard of, I usually consider it out of range after three inches

moulton_cathy.jpg

Cathy Marie Moulton
Went missing from Portland, Maine in 1971
In range: Age and hair colour. 5'4

schulze_lynne3.jpg

Lynne Katherine Schultz
Missing from Middlebury, Vermont in 1971
In range: Age and height

cole_rose2.jpg

Rose Lena Cole
Missing from Oakland, California (But is a known hitchhiker/runaway) since 1972-1973
In Range: Age and possibly height

groenenberg_corinne.jpg

Corinne June Groenenberg
Missing from Modesto, California (Last seen hitchhiking) in 1973
In range: Age, She's 5'6, making her a bit too tall.

tomlinson_deborah.jpg

Deborah Lee Tomlinson
Missing from Creswell, Oregon in 1973
In range: Age. She's 5'5

Those are all my cases from the 70s that I liked. I looked into late 60s and found a couple but decided not to put them up. I'll come back after school to make a list for the 80s and 90s

Denise Sheehy looks like a sensible match for all the reasons listed by Traacker13, also, Denise's stats show she would be petite enough to wear a 32A bra. However there were pantyhose and glittery clothing found with MJD, not matching the clothes Denise wore when she was last seen, and her page says she didn't take any personal belongings with her when she left home.

I have been following Cathy Moulton's case and I think you can rule her out as a possible. Of course I can't be sure but I honestly believe the lead on her page about her possibly being found in the woods is a pretty sensible one. I also agree on the on the stats for Denise Sheehy. This case is just so hard to date the UID.

I have been following Cathy Moulton's case and I think you can rule her out as a possible. Of course I can't be sure but I honestly believe the lead on her page about her possibly being found in the woods is a pretty sensible one. I also agree on the on the stats for Denise Sheehy. This case is just so hard to date the UID.

I don't know, I find it hard to believe that someone found a skeleton in the woods, couldn't retrace his steps, but no one has seen this skeleton in the 30 years since?

Yea who knows. I Guess a 16 year old can get around. But I lived in rural Michigan most of my life and I've seen plenty of things in the woods that I would never be able to take you back to. There's a lot of woods in Maine too.

Hello,

My name is Alexandra - I've been a member for awhile but am now pregnant on bed rest so am forced to relax, and have found myself here at web sleuths more and more often. New to "posting" so please bear with me :)

I've been drawn to this case for several reasons.

I was a troubled teen who moved to NYC at a young age, and identify with the "runaway" aspect.

I was searchng through 1980s missing cases on the Charley Project and came across this

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/munyon_diana.html

the height, build, hair etc seem accurate. It also notes that she was estranged from her family at a young age, and seemed to "bounce around".

Any thoughts?

Hi all,

I did some searching on the union label found with this Jane Doe. This is not an ILGWU label but a Coat & Suit Industry National Recovery Board label, which was used 1938-1964 (source) This would've come out of a women's business suit or a coat and therefore probably wasn't connected to the scraps of glittery fabric found with the body. I'd like to know how LE came up with the year 1987, since I can't find any mention of this label being used past the mid 60s.

I also know, from my own experience in the vintage business, that the number on a union label does not correlate with the date the item was made. You need the registration number (found on the regular tag, not the union label) to extrapolate this data.

Hope this is helpful.

Wow, this takes it in a whole different direction. I can't believe this was never used in the connection before. Amazing sleuthing

"The Scene" in the late 60's was a rock club, considered to be the original Studi 54, frquented by Andy Warhol and his entourage (edie sedgwick, etc)

Instead of the prostitute/runaway theory, she could be a groupie type, kind of like Penny Lane from Almost Famous

Looking at her NamUs page, it seems that the earliest time of death the medical examiner's now comfortable using is 1992. https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5703 I imagine this means that they've done some additional forensic work to nail down a time range. It also means yet again looking at a different set of missing persons to match. Of course, it could also be a typo. The NYC entries on NamUs are notoriously bare bones, so there's not much to go on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalKnowledge
Back