OH OH - Betty Dyer, 42, Mansfield, 31 Dec 1972

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Thumbnail

Original

Original

Thumbnail

Sex Female
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian
Height 5' 2" - 5' 5" (62 - 65 Inches)
Weight 115 - 125 lbs
Hair Color Red/Auburn
Eye Description Blue/green

Clothing
Brown slacks; Brown coat
Footwear
Brown loafers with a tassel on them

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact December 31, 1972
NamUs Case Created January 19, 2018

Last Known Location Map

Location Mansfield, Ohio
County Richland County

Circumstances of Disappearance
Betty was last known to be at the Park Avenue East Laundromat in Mansfield, OH on 12/31/1972 around 6:00am. Police found her car outside the laundry with her clothes folded inside. Betty has never been found.

Missing Person Case

From ORC Text:
24 March 1995
News-Journal from Mansfield, Ohio
Page 8
Police should search for body v The issue: ; No trace of Betty Dyer's body was found after a quick search ; near Crystal Springs Avenue Our opinion: ' A more thorough search should be conducted for the remains to satisfy Dyer family We agree with Richland County Prosecutor James Mayer Jr. A more thorough search should be conducted for the remains of Betty Dyer. Mrs. Dyer's 1972 disappearance remained a mystery until recently when former Mansfielder Lawrence Davis pleaded no contest to helping dispose of her body following her killing. Authorities and Mrs. Dyer's family members believe Davis is the killer. Following his court appearance, Davis led authorities to a wooded area off Crystal Springs Avenue where he said he had disposed of the body. No trace of the body was found after a quick search. Authorities are not certain if the body was dumped or buried. The Dyer family is not satisfied with police efforts to discover some trace of the body. Although family members now know what happened to Mrs. Dyer, they say they cannot put the matter to rest until the body is discovered. It will obviously not be easy to find some trace of the body after 20 years. This is particularly true since Davis apparently did not provide detailed information. But authorities should be sensitive to the feelings of the Dyer family and the need to bring final closure to this case. At least a careful combing of the area should be undertaken for possible, clues. Volunteers could be used if they are given careful instructions on how to search and how to log what they find. If Davis was at all specific about a site, some limited digging could also be undertaken. We are not suggesting police dig up the entire woodland or nearby neighborhoods. But they could make an effort based on where Davis guided them. Police may be satisfied, but a family isn't. Some effort should be made to remedy that
News-Journal from Mansfield, Ohio on March 24, 1995 · 8

Just like the police, I did a quick search in NamUs after any matching UIDs found after 1972, but couldn't find any that could match the description of Betty Dyer. So, she might be still lying in those woods, or Davis could be lying and Dyer is somewhere else (perhaps a Jane Doe somewhere else?).

Just like the police, I did a quick search in NamUs after any matching UIDs found after 1972, but couldn't find any that could match the description of Betty Dyer. So, she might be still lying in those woods, or Davis could be lying and Dyer is somewhere else (perhaps a Jane Doe somewhere else?).

Anything is possible, but if she is a UID elsewhere I would expect estimated death dates to be close to the time frame of when she disappeared. JMO. Loafers with tassels sure sounds familiar to me but I can't figure out where I have seen that or if it was an UID profile. It may just have been a common style in the 70's that I'm recalling.

Anything is possible, but if she is a UID elsewhere I would expect estimated death dates to be close to the time frame of when she disappeared. JMO. Loafers with tassels sure sounds familiar to me but I can't figure out where I have seen that or if it was an UID profile. It may just have been a common style in the 70's that I'm recalling.

I agree, that's why the first UIDs I checked where those in 1972 and immediately after, or UIDs assumed to have a longer postmortem interval. The fact that she had a full set of dentures makes it easier to narrow the search down further.

might still be in the woods. no way to know without getting an earth mover and going through the soil archaeologist style.

Do we know something else about Lawrence Davis? He blamed a friend, but refused to name him. He may be lying, of course, but did LE investigate any of his acquitances and friends?
The search of Betty's body is illogical... it's a 15 acre wooded area, yet they only checked a few yards.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back