OH OH - Margaret Durant, 21, Columbus, 10 Dec 1987

@Shirley Cooper Welcome to Websleuths. I am so sorry to read about your sisters murder. It sounds like the publicized details are not correct. In order for you to bring us up to speed without have to have Main Stream Media (MSM) links for your statements, you’ll need to be set up as a Verified Insider. It is a very easy process and I don’t believe it takes long. You can click on the blue Report word and ask a moderator for assistance. If you are not set up as a VI, you run the risk of your posts being deleted because they don’t follow Terms of Service (TOS). Hoping we can all help you. So many victims have no one to speak for them. Your perseverance is wonderful.

@Shirley Cooper Welcome to Websleuths. I am so sorry to read about your sisters murder. It sounds like the publicized details are not correct. In order for you to bring us up to speed without have to have Main Stream Media (MSM) links for your statements, you’ll need to be set up as a Verified Insider. It is a very easy process and I don’t believe it takes long. You can click on the blue Report word and ask a moderator for assistance. If you are not set up as a VI, you run the risk of your posts being deleted because they don’t follow Terms of Service (TOS). Hoping we can all help you. So many victims have no one to speak for them. Your perseverance is wonderful.

I believe I had done that once before, but I just did it again.

We now know that Lynn Vest and Margaret Durant both owned a 1979 Ford Mustang.

I'm thinking that there were two versions of the 1979 Ford Mustang.

The first version would be the Cobra, and I'm thinking that the Cobra was the sports car or muscle car version of the 1979 Ford Mustang model.

The second version would be the regular version of the 1979 Ford Mustang model that isn't a sports or muscle car.

I don't know which version of the 1979 Ford Mustang model that Margaret Durant drove. I'm guessing that she probably drove the regular version.

I don't know what happened to Lynn Vest's car after the murder, but she drove the sports or muscle car version of the 1979 Ford Mustang model.

A few things I'm also wondering about the former boyfriend.

When he went to the apartment, was the apartment door ajar or unlocked?

Did he have duplicate keys to her apartment?

The newspaper article never did say who the suspect was that detectives were trying to obtain a blood sample from.

And it didn't have any follow up articles as to whether detectives were able to get a blood sample from the suspect or if the suspect had been cleared.

I'm the sister of the murdered woman. No the ex boyfriend did NOT have a set of duplicate keys, although it did say her keys were missing. So whoever killed her would have those keys. Also the suspects are the ex boyfriend and his dad, who took out a $100,000 life insurance policy on her.

I did it once before but I will do again. Apparently I have two profiles on here.

Let's hope that Margaret Durant's murderer will finally be brought to justice and the family may have some closure .. Somebody has to know something.. If anyone knows anything please contact :
Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation at 855-BCI-OHIO (224-6446) or the Grandview Heights Police Department at (614) 488-7901.

Below is her sisters' comment on FB coldcase page..

https://www.facebook.com/GrandviewHeightsohColdCaseFiles

My sister, Margaret Durant was murdered on or around December 10, 1987. She was raped and strangled and her body dumped just 2 blocks from her apartment and her car then dumped in downtown Columbus, Ohio. Her boyfriend's dad took out a life insurance policy on her for $100,000 and made himself the beneficiary. Her murderer has never been brought to justice.

I am so sorry about your sister and that you have went this long without any justice! I have read this thread then looked up any other information I could find. Please tell me they have got some DNA from her ex-boyfriend to rule him out?! The fact that his father had an insurance policy on her is such a red flag! I don’t know of anyone personally that has ever had a boyfriend’s parent take out a policy like that. Then the fact they didn’t get along if I read that right. How long was they broke up? Also the fact that the ex-boyfriend went to her apartment looking for her Sunday and went in her apartment? Is that correct? If so then he would have been the one to say if the door was ajar since he was there before they even identified who she was. Another inconsistency that I read was how her car was seen about two hours before her body was found at Higgs & Burrell but then it was not found until the 17th not far from her apartment yet the cops thought she left it there. That makes no sense at all. It baffles me how they haven’t ruled out her ex-boyfriend and his father with all the new DNA technology we have today or have they? Because I’m not seeing it. I really can’t believe how this case has been handled from all that I’ve read.

A7C85E55-C71D-4B1E-A7C5-EECDCB81EE9B.jpeg
I am so sorry about your sister and that you have went this long without any justice! I have read this thread then looked up any other information I could find. Please tell me they have got some DNA from her ex-boyfriend to rule him out?! The fact that his father had an insurance policy on her is such a red flag! I don’t know of anyone personally that has ever had a boyfriend’s parent take out a policy like that. Then the fact they didn’t get along if I read that right. How long was they broke up? Also the fact that the ex-boyfriend went to her apartment looking for her Sunday and went in her apartment? Is that correct? If so then he would have been the one to say if the door was ajar since he was there before they even identified who she was. Another inconsistency that I read was how her car was seen about two hours before her body was found at Higgs & Burrell but then it was not found until the 17th not far from her apartment yet the cops thought she left it there. That makes no sense at all. It baffles me how they haven’t ruled out her ex-boyfriend and his father with all the new DNA technology we have today or have they? Because I’m not seeing it. I really can’t believe how this case has been handled from all that I’ve read.

I posted screenshots of some things said that make no sense at all to me. How is it they think she parked her car that was found on the 17th at another location but also saying that her vehicle was seen on Higgs & Burrell two hours before her body was found but yet the coroner estimated her time of death somewhere around 12:30-2:30 a.m.? Then we have her (ex-boyfriend) that was looking for her a couple days later went to her apartment and the door was unlocked and partially “ajar”. So the person who done this obviously had the keys to her car which most likely had her apartment key on it or I’m assuming. Because she could not have parked at the location it was found on the 17th and seen at the location she was found two hours earlier on the 11th. I would like to know where her purse was found or was it? How long had they been broke up? How long was they dating that his father took it upon himself to take a life insurance policy on her?Especially to not get along with her.

Attachments

• 5EB61D50-F905-4917-8F73-4CA409031C54.jpeg
    5EB61D50-F905-4917-8F73-4CA409031C54.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 10
  • EA546EF8-5083-49FF-962F-33FEDC9FCCC3.jpeg
    EA546EF8-5083-49FF-962F-33FEDC9FCCC3.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 10
  • ACAAB8F7-299D-4315-9491-E751A137020C.jpeg
    ACAAB8F7-299D-4315-9491-E751A137020C.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 11
Hi Shirley .. I’m so sorry for the loss of your sister..

New type of DNA identification which is called genealogical DNA testing has helped so many cold cases get solved in 2020.

It allows law enforcement to compare the profile of the unknown suspect’s DNA to other national databases and build a family tree of that person, thereby creating a small pool of suspects.

Not every unsolved case is a good candidate for genealogical DNA testing, but it could be a tremendous tool ..

I hope Margaret’s case will soon be solved ..

Margaret Durant, 21, was found dead in a vacant lot in Grandview Heights on the morning of Dec. 11, 1987. The coroner determined she died from cardiopulmonary arrest due to strangulation and her death remains unsolved, despite several leads being investigated. WBNS 10TV reported in 2014 that the Grandview Heights police department was looking into the case again and submitting old evidence to the state crime lab in hopes of DNA making it possible to reopen the case.

An update on Margaret Durant's case (she was my younger sister). I can't say much, but Chris Miller (her ex-boyfriend and a suspect) DID NOT have a spare key to her apartment, but her keys WERE stolen when her car was taken and abandoned. They never found the keys, so it looks as though the ex did it then later went back to her apartment to make sure no evidence was left behind.

View attachment 269856

I posted screenshots of some things said that make no sense at all to me. How is it they think she parked her car that was found on the 17th at another location but also saying that her vehicle was seen on Higgs & Burrell two hours before her body was found but yet the coroner estimated her time of death somewhere around 12:30-2:30 a.m.? Then we have her (ex-boyfriend) that was looking for her a couple days later went to her apartment and the door was unlocked and partially “ajar”. So the person who done this obviously had the keys to her car which most likely had her apartment key on it or I’m assuming. Because she could not have parked at the location it was found on the 17th and seen at the location she was found two hours earlier on the 11th. I would like to know where her purse was found or was it? How long had they been broke up? How long was they dating that his father took it upon himself to take a life insurance policy on her?Especially to not get along with her.
I believe they killed her, then used her car to transport her body and dump her (some people who worked near where her body was dumped, saw her car prior to when she was discovered), then they took her car and abandoned it at another location. I believe at least two people did this. Her keys and purse were never found but I believe the ex took the keys and went to her apartment to look for any evidence he may have left behind. But said he went looking for her. They have been on again off again since high school.

View attachment 269856

I believe they killed her, then used her car to transport her body and dump her (some people who worked near where her body was dumped, saw her car prior to when she was discovered), then they took her car and abandoned it at another location. I believe at least two people did this. Her keys and purse were never found but I believe the ex took the keys and went to her apartment to look for any evidence he may have left behind. But said he went looking for her. They have been on again off again since high school.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmiter
Back