PA PA - Betsy Aardsma, 22, murdered in Pattee Library, Penn State, 29 Nov 1969 #2

"Of further and insane importance, one book claims the "running man" TOOK EBERLE (sp? I haven't read it in a while) TO THE BODY."

Who was "Eberle?" and what is meant by "To the Body?" Needs clarification. It sounds like some of the book quotes mentioned above are confusing. What evidence there is, shows that Betsey was attacked from behind, It was so quick that she couldn't even scream.

Satch

Sorry I checked, it's Erdely. It's been many months since I read anything on this case.

Here is one:

"A stranger emerged from the Core, coming at Erdely and Uafinda like a speeding train. He looked to be about twenty-five years old, about six feet tall, and big, but not husky. He had one of those professional faces one tends to associate with foreign correspondents on television. He was better dressed than the typical student, wearing a sport jacket over khaki work pants. Allen, who of course had never seen the young man before, thought he was wearing a white shirt and tie.11 Neither Erdely nor Uafinda recognized him either. When the running man saw the two students, he slowed but did not stop. “Somebody had better help that girl!” he said, gesturing back toward the noise. But he was not going to help her. The stranger continued moving toward the stairs, but then saw Allen, who was still standing well apart from Uafinda and Erdely. The running man whirled and headed back in the opposite direction, but on a route that took him around, not through, the Core."

The other book:

"This would prove interesting, because it explained some of his behavior at Wright’s house on the night of the murder – a potential attempt to gain an ally and stave off suspicion when the headlines about the murder broke. It also fit with the man who, after stabbing Betsy Aardsma through the heart, would stop to tell a bystander that “That girl needs help,” leading her to the body before finally making his escape."

If I recall also the autopsy was very clear the stab was to the front. One of the books had the report. Again I am sure I would need to search them etc. and fact check myself.

But it essentially feels like a pointless endeavour to some degree, to back and forth over minor points when if the statements etc. had actually been replicated we might legitimately be able to resolve the case. Haefner was interrogated, why is his statement not written out in books on the case? Was it corroborated?

I studied in Pattee in the mid- to late- 80s. Everything felt and smelled ancient then. They looked like the photo @ekardh posted. I don't know what it was like in 1969, but my guess would be...not that different. I always thought the "stacks" were spooky. Claustrophobic and confusing. Row after row after row of metal cases of books. Weak florescent lighting. Some of the aisles would end at a window with a carrel. Some areas had no windows at all.

I did not attend school at Penn State, but rather in another large University. The Library at my school was separated into two main sections. One was for undergrads and while it had a number of book shelves, it was mostly a lot of tables and chairs, along with some individual "carols" for study.

The other part of the library was referred to as "The Graduate Stacks", or simply the "Stacks". You were supposed to be a graduate student, or have some sort of special pass to enter that section, but by going down to the basement and getting on the elevator, you could avoid the first floor checkpoint.

The Graduate Stacks were as you describe, with many, many books in shelves almost to the ceiling. Almost any book you can imagine, many dating back a hundred years or more. Those stacks were indeed close together and the only place to look at the books were individual carols placed usually at the end of a row of stacks and by a window.

The Graduate Stacks usually had very students around, and those who were there were intent on doing research or study.

Betsy Aardsma, 22 years old

Last edited:

Betsy Ruth Aardsma, 22
Murdered 29 November 1969

Anyone with information about Betsy Aardsma’s murder is asked call the Pennsylvania State Police at (717) 783-5599

Last edited:
From this article:

52 years later, the unsolved murder of a Penn State student on Thanksgiving weekend in 1969 remains a mystery

Quote... In the briefing from the doctor, Simmers found out that Betsy had been stabbed once in her left breast. The wound, which was one inch wide and three inches deep, hit her pulmonary artery. Blood quickly entered her lungs which kept her from screaming. That also accounted for the lack of blood on aisle 51, the doctor had told Simmers, which was also confirmed by the autopsy a few days later...Unquote.

This would tend to indicate that the knife used to stab Betsy was a short blade "folder" type that had a lock back (to prevent closing on the user's fingers).

Today, there are hundreds of different knives which fit that description, but back in 1969, there weren't many. A specific one comes to mind, however. The Buck Knife company made two folders which were popular with hunters and which are still being made and sold today. They were the Model 110 with a 3 and 3/4 inch blade, and also the Model 112 which had a 3 inch blade.

Buck folding (lock back) knife.

LINK:

https://www.buckknives.com/product/112-ranger-knife/0112FAM01/

Last edited:

Betsy Aardsma, age 22, was a 1969 graduate of the University of Michigan.
A graduate student at Pen State University, she was murdered 29 November 1969.

Apparently, the identikit image created by witnesses bears a strong resemblance to Richard Haefner, but I'd be interested to know if Joao Uafinda and Marilee Erdley were ever invited to identify if it was Haefner?

This month marks 54 years since Betsy Aardsma was murdered at Penn State University.

betsy_11.jpg

Betsy Aardsma, age 22, murdered 28 Nov 1969

Sketch of unidentified suspect in the murder of Betsy Aardsma (left) compared to a photo of Richard Haefner.

LINKS:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinaluvschicken
Back