PA PA/CA - David Zandstra, 1975-1990s

Mysteries1974

Martha Jean Lambert - Missing since 1985
Reaction score

FAIRFIELD, Calif. — The Fairfield Police Department is reopening the cold case of a missing child from the 90s after a man in Georgia was recently arrested for allegedly assaulting and killing another child in the 70s.

David Zandstra, 83, is a former Fairfield resident and pastor who moved to Georgia and is now under investigation by Fairfield police 30 years after Amanda "Nikki" Campbell went missing.

David Zandstra, a former pastor from Delaware County, Pennsylvania has been charged with a cold case abduction and murder dating back to 1975. Now, he’s also being looked at in connection with a 1991 unsolved disappearance out of California where he lived. It’s believed he probably had more victims due to the amount of time he’s been free roaming around and he’s moved across the country.

So far he’s been named in:

1.) Gretchen Harrington (8) - abducted while walking to Bible School in Marple Township, Pennsylvania on 08/14/1975. Her body was found two months later in Ridley Creek State Park. Zandstra faces murder and kidnapping charges
1690841209757.jpeg

2.) Amanda Campbell (4) - last seen riding her bicycle in her Salisbury Street neighborhood in Fairfield, California on 12/27/1991. She remains missing. Zandstra was a pastor at Fairfield Christian Reform School in 1991 and was living in the area at the time. Police are trying to determine his possible involvement.
1690841738975.jpeg

I’ve also read he was in San Diego, California from 1983 until 1990 which makes me curious about two cases that seem to match up with the circumstances of both Gretchen Harrington’s case and that of Amanda Campbell:

Link: Philly Today: National Church Org. Investigating David Zandstra

The article states after he moved from Texas in 1983 he “moved on to Living Faith Community in San Diego, California. He was there until 1990.”

1.) Charitie Angelique Careins (7) - abducted while walking home from a friends house at 4:00 pm on August 5th 1988 from Pacific Beach, San Diego, California. A witness later came forward and said they saw a white van following Charitie as she walked home. Her remains were found in the San Timeteo Canyon near Beaumont, California in June 1989. This was 120 miles away from where she was taken. Her killer has never been found.
1690841761811.jpeg

2.) Leticia “Tita” Hernandez (7) -abducted while she was playing in the front yard of her apartment on Bush Street in Oceanside, California at 5:00 pm on December 16th 1989. Children in the area later reported that a man driving a man driving a blue two-tone four door Cadillac offered several of them $50 to get into his vehicle. Leticia’s skull was found near the Pala Indian Reservation, 26 miles away from her home on March 9th 1991.
1690842074303.jpeg

Link: San Diego's dark history of child abductions

I noticed both of these cases had elements that matched up with the other two cases:

1.) Like Amanda Campbell and Gretchen Harrington, Charitie Careins was walking alone. Like Amanda, Charitie was walking in the general area of her home after playing with friends.

2.) David Zandstra admitted to “inviting” Gretchen into his vehicle before he killed her in 1975. This made me think of the strange unidentified man offering children money to get into his car near Leticia’s home on the day of her presumed abduction.

3.) He was in the San Diego area during the time that these two young girls both disappeared. I’m not saying he was involved. I have made this thread to look into other possible victims from both Pennsylvania and California where he lived.

Last edited:
1690904821951.png

I also wondered about Wendy Eaton, who was quite a bit older than Gretchen (she was 15), but at 4'10 she may have seemed much younger. If I didn't know her age, looking at the picture I would have guessed she was maybe 12.

Wendy went missing on May 17th 1975 in Media, Pennsylvania, three months before Gretchen was murdered and a ten minute drive from where Gretchen's body was recovered. According to her missing persons' case file, she was going to a singing rehearsal at her local church on the evening she disappeared.

1690905450066.png

I would like to also add Shaliegh Phillips from El Cajon, which is not too far from where Zandstra's church happened to be located in San Diego.

Shaliegh went missing on February 12th 1988. While there are few details, it is known that she was going to visit friends. Shaliegh seems to have been vulnerable, considering that I found little about her.

1690905812725.png

Another girl I am going to add is Amanda Rivera. Amanda was 14 when she went missing on October 5th 1990. While she was also a teenager, like Wendy she was rather short (five foot). Amanda was last seen in Nobel Street in Spring Valley, which I think is where Zandstra lived. I don't know when he moved out of San Diego, however.

So, to recap, three young girls who were older than Gretchen, but went missing in relative proximity to Zandstra's homes.

PHOTO: A mugshot of David Zandstra, who was arrested for allegedly killing an 8-year-old girl in 1975.

David Zandstra

LINKS:

View attachment 438361

I also wondered about Wendy Eaton, who was quite a bit older than Gretchen (she was 15), but at 4'10 she may have seemed much younger. If I didn't know her age, looking at the picture I would have guessed she was maybe 12.

Wendy went missing on May 17th 1975 in Media, Pennsylvania, three months before Gretchen was murdered and a ten minute drive from where Gretchen's body was recovered. According to her missing persons' case file, she was going to a singing rehearsal at her local church on the evening she disappeared.

View attachment 438365

I would like to also add Shaliegh Phillips from El Cajon, which is not too far from where Zandstra's church happened to be located in San Diego.

Shaliegh went missing on February 12th 1988. While there are few details, it is known that she was going to visit friends. Shaliegh seems to have been vulnerable, considering that I found little about her.

View attachment 438370

Another girl I am going to add is Amanda Rivera. Amanda was 14 when she went missing on October 5th 1990. While she was also a teenager, like Wendy she was rather short (five foot). Amanda was last seen in Nobel Street in Spring Valley, which I think is where Zandstra lived. I don't know when he moved out of San Diego, however.

So, to recap, three young girls who were older than Gretchen, but went missing in relative proximity to Zandstra's homes.
I definitely think he should be looked at in all of these, especially Amanda if she was last seen in the general area where he lived

So here are all the possibilities mentioned so far:

Pennsylvania:

1.) Wendy Eaton - 1975 (possibility)

California:

1.) Shaleigh Phillips - 1988 (possibility)
2.) Charitie Careins - 1988 (possibility)
3.) Leticia Hernandez - 1989 (possibility)
4.) Amanda Rivera - 1990 (possibility)
5.) Amanda Campbell - 1991 (under investigation)

View attachment 438361

View attachment 438365

View attachment 438370

I looked up David’s name online and he was living in Spring Valley in San Diego from 1983 until 1990. Were you able to find the exact church he was working at while living in San Diego? I see you said it’s not far from where Shaleigh Phillips disappeared in 1988.

I’d like to know the name so I can check the distance between his church and the homes of Charitie Careins and Leticia Hernandez. Charitie was taken near Betty Street in Pacific Beach, California and whoever took her also took the effort to drive her 120 miles away from her home to dump her remains in the San Timeteo Canyon in Riverside County, California. This for some reason reminds me of how he left Gretchen in a State Park but I’m not saying this shows he had involvement, just that it stuck out to me a little (especially when I read about him being in San Diego during the time all these girls were being murdered in the area).

Leticia was taken from her Bush Street home in Oceanside, California and whoever took her also took the effort to drive a considerable distance (26 miles) to dump her body. Her skull and the shorts she was wearing were found near the Pala Indian Reservation, which for some reason again reminds me of the State Park dump site aspect of his pending murder case. This location is two miles south of Riverside County.

The fact that he left Gretchen at a State Park which I guess could count as a land mark just reminds me of how these two girls were left in or near two known locations that are considered land marks (a canyon, and a reservation).

I have my doubts about Leticia’s case but there’s never been a conclusive suspect in her case besides a neighbor who was a convicted child molester. A grand jury investigated him but didn’t file charges. It’s always possible someone else could’ve been involved and they never identified the strange man who offered children money to get into his car near where Leticia disappeared.

I definitely think if the police suspect his involvement at all in Amanda Campbell’s abduction, he’s a good candidate for Charitie’s case. She was younger than Gretchen and much like her and Amanda, she disappeared while walking alone to go somewhere. No suspects have ever been named in Carein’s murder.

I looked up David’s name online and he was living in Spring Valley in San Diego from 1983 until 1990. Were you able to find the exact church he was working at while living in San Diego? I see you said it’s not far from where Shaleigh Phillips disappeared in 1988.

I’d like to know the name so I can check the distance between his church and the homes of Charitie Careins and Leticia Hernandez. Charitie was taken near Betty Street in Pacific Beach, California and whoever took her also took the effort to drive her 120 miles away from her home to dump her remains in the San Timeteo Canyon in Riverside County, California. This for some reason reminds me of how he left Gretchen in a State Park but I’m not saying this shows he had involvement, just that it stuck out to me a little (especially when I read about him being in San Diego during the time all these girls were being murdered in the area).

Leticia was taken from her Bush Street home in Oceanside, California and whoever took her also took the effort to drive a considerable distance (26 miles) to dump her body. Her skull and the shorts she was wearing were found near the Pala Indian Reservation, which for some reason again reminds me of the State Park dump site aspect of his pending murder case. This location is two miles south of Riverside County.

The fact that he left Gretchen at a State Park which I guess could count as a land mark just reminds me of how these two girls were left in or near two known locations that are considered land marks (a canyon, and a reservation).

I have my doubts about Leticia’s case but there’s never been a conclusive suspect in her case besides a neighbor who was a convicted child molester. A grand jury investigated him but didn’t file charges. It’s always possible someone else could’ve been involved and they never identified the strange man who offered children money to get into his car near where Leticia disappeared.

I definitely think if the police suspect his involvement at all in Amanda Campbell’s abduction, he’s a good candidate for Charitie’s case. She was younger than Gretchen and much like her and Amanda, she disappeared while walking alone to go somewhere. No suspects have ever been named in Carein’s murder.
Zandstra was working at Living Faith Community Church. It no longer exists. Its address was: 6745 Amherst Street, San Diego, CA 92115 Source: Living Faith Community

Zandstra was working at Living Faith Community Church. It no longer exists. Its address was: 6745 Amherst Street, San Diego, CA 92115 Source: Living Faith Community
Thank you! I searched the distance between the church and Charitie’s home on Betty Street and it’s only twenty minutes. The distance between Leticia’s house and his church was 38 minutes.

Is anyone following this case? Has Zanstra been arraigned? How did he plead? Does he have an attorney? Are there any updates?

I looked for an active case in the The Unified JUDICIAL System of Pennsylvania Web Portal

at https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/CaseSearch and I couldn't find anything under the defendant name David Zanstra.

Last edited:
I found this, which said Zanstra was scheduled to be arraigned at the Delaware County courthouse in Media on Dec. 13. Did that arraignment ever occur?

Accused killer in a Delco cold case was coerced into confessing a crime he didn’t commit, lawyer says
The lawyer for a former Broomall pastor accused of killing an 8-year-old girl in a cold-case murder that roiled a corner of Delaware County for decades said Wednesday that state troopers browbeat his client into admitting to a crime he did not commit.

David Zandstra, 83, confessed in July that he lured Gretchen Harrington into a secluded corner of Ridley Creek State Park in 1975, forced her to undress, beat her to death and hid her body under leaves and dirt, according to investigators. But at Zandstra’s preliminary hearing on first-degree murder, kidnapping and related charges, his attorney, Mark Much, disputed that admission, saying Pennsylvania State Police troopers wore down a confused, vulnerable man who confessed under duress.

“This is an 83-year-old man that was subjected to a four-hour interview, and was manipulated, coerced, tricked, lied to, and they believe he admitted to something that I submit he didn’t do,” Much said.

“They tricked him into thinking he did something that he didn’t remember doing by telling him they had all this evidence against him that they didn’t have,” Much added.

State Police Cpl. Andrew Martin later acknowledged under cross-examination by Much that he had lied to Zandstra during that interview, making it seem that investigators had more evidence than they did, including saying the girl’s DNA had been found on rocks at the scene where a jogger discovered her corpse.

Deputy District Attorney Geoff Paine insisted that Zandstra was the killer. He said the pastor admitted to the long-ago murder after being presented with a statement by a woman who had been a childhood friend of one of Zandstra’s daughters. Last year, he said, the woman told police the preacher had molested her at a sleepover a week before Gretchen’s abduction.

“The jury is going to see the whole statement. And they’re going to see that when Mr. Zandstra admitted to what he did, it was not because of any lie told by the trooper,” Paine said. “It was when he was confronted with another victim coming forward.”

Nearly 50 years after panic gripped suburbia, a new book, a key witness, and a confession
During Wednesday’s hearing, Gretchen’s sister Zoe testified that her younger sibling had left their home early Aug. 15, 1975, walking about a half-mile by herself to attend Bible camp at Trinity Church Chapel Christian Reform Church, where Zandstra was pastor. The girls’ father was the pastor at the nearby Reformed Presbyterian Church, and was a friend of Zandstra’s, she said.

On most days, one of Gretchen’s sisters would walk with her to Trinity, but on that morning, her sister said, she walked alone because things were “chaotic” at home after the birth of a new baby, their sister Jessica. When Gretchen had not returned hours later, she said her family began searching for her.

Gretchen remained missing for two months, until a passerby discovered skeletal remains in Ridley Creek State Park. Retired State Police Capt. John McKenna testified Wednesday that clothes were found neatly folded near the remains, including a pair of child’s underwear.

Among the clothing was a distinct, handmade blouse that matched the description of the one Gretchen was last seen wearing, prosecutors said. A county medical examiner ruled that she had been struck twice on the right side of the head, causing severe brain injuries that killed her.

Zandstra, who presided over Gretchen’s funeral, later moved away from Delaware County, eventually settling in Georgia. Since his arrest, multiple victims have come forward, both locally and across the country, alleging that he had molested them, Paine said Wednesday.

No additional charges have been filed in Delaware County — the sexual assault cases reported to the District Attorney’s Office fall outside the state’s statute of limitations, Paine said.

After Wednesday’s hearing, Magisterial District Judge Walter Strohl held Zandstra for court on all charges, sending his case to a county judge. He is scheduled to be arraigned at the county courthouse in Media on Dec. 13.

OK it looks like he was arraigned. Zandstra is scheduled for a pretrial conference Feb. 15 before Common Pleas Court Judge Anthony Scanlon.

Former minister accused in 1975 murder of 8-year-old girl formally arraigned​

David Zandstra set for pretrial conference in Febraury

MEDIA COURTHOUSE – Accused child killer David Zandstra was formally arraigned on first-degree murder and related charges Wednesday for the 1975 beating death of 8-year-old Gretchen Harrington.
Zandstra, 83, a retired Marple Township minister extradited from Marietta, Georgia, is also charged with criminal homicide, murder in the second- and third-degree, kidnapping and possessing an instrument of crime.
Zandstra stood mute on the advice of defense counsel Mark Much and Common Pleas Court Judge Anthony Scanlon entered a plea of “not guilty” on his behalf, preserving his rights to file any motions.
Zandstra was held for court on all charges last month following a preliminary hearing before Magisterial District Judge Walter A. Strohl.
Zandstra is accused of abducting Gretchen off the street en route to Bible school on the morning of Aug. 16, 1975, then taking her to Ridley Creek State Park, where he allegedly ordered her to take off her clothes before striking her in the head with his fist.
Zandstra allegedly admitted to the murder during an interview with Pennsylvania State Police in July and was extradited to Delaware County in September.
Strohl heard last month from the victim’s sister, Zoe Harrington, who was 11 years old when Gretchen went missing.
Harrington said that on that morning, Gretchen was supposed to walk to Trinity Chapel Christian Reformed Church at 140 Lawrence Road, less than a half-mile from their home on Laurence Road.
She said it was the only day that one of Gretchen’s siblings or parents did not walk with her. Her baby sister had been born that same week and it was a bit chaotic at the home, Zoe Harrington said.
Gretchen was last seen by neighbors walking at 9:20 a.m., according to an affidavit of probable cause for arrest written by troopers Andrew Martin and Eugene Tray.
District Attorney Jack Stollsteimer previously said students would begin classes about 9:30 a.m. at Trinity Chapel, where Zandstra served as minister from 1969 through 1976, then half would be transported at 10 a.m. to the Reformed Presbyterian Church at 144 Lawrence Road, where Gretchen’s father, Harold, served as the reverend.
Zoe Harrington said she realized her sister was missing when she noticed Gretchen was not outside with other students at her father’s church next door to their home, but she was unsure of the time. She said Gretchen was not with her best friend, one of Zandstra’s daughters. They began looking for her and Zoe Harrington asked Gretchen’s teacher where she was, but she said Gretchen never arrived.
Zoe Harrington also identified several pieces of clothing found with her sister’s remains when they were discovered by a jogger in the park on Oct. 14, 1975.
She said she had never gone to Zandstra’s home, but that he was a friend of the family and had presided over her sister’s funeral.
Retired state police captain and former chief of the Delaware County Criminal Investigation Division John McKenna also testified that he was called out to the state park after the jogger made the discovery.
McKenna noted the girl’s skull appeared to be fractured. He said Gretchen’s skeletal remains were covered by sticks and twigs, and that her blouse was neatly folded next to the body.
A pair of children’s panties was also found on a nearby tree branch, he said, and a pair of shoes was on the ground nearby. Zoe Harrington identified the blouse as one her mother had made.
Martin testified that he was assigned the case in 2014, but caught a break after a witness came forward in 2022 and described being molested by Zandstra at a sleepover around the time of Gretchen’s disappearance.
Martin said he conducted a taped interview with Zandstra in Georgia on July 17 and the suspect admitted to the murder.
“He (said he) picked Gretchen up walking along a road, drove her to a wooded area, told her to remove her clothing, he struck her in the head with his fist, she fell, she died, he covered the body with branches and drove back to …Trinity Chapel Church,” Martin said.
Martin said a medical examiner’s report indicated Gretchen had been killed by two blunt-force impacts to the right side of her skull, which would have caused life-threatening trauma.
The defense’s contention
On cross-examination by Much, Martin admitted that he told Zandstra he had evidence against him that was not actually in his possession, including that a witness had seen Zandstra’s Dodge Rambler approaching Gretchen that day and that police had recovered rocks with blood on them.
“They believe he admitted to something that I submit he didn’t do,” Much said after last month’s hearing. “(Martin) lied to him about evidence that he says he had. He tricked an 83-year-old man into thinking he did something that he didn’t remember doing by him telling him he had all this evidence against him that he didn’t have.”
Much indicated Wednesday he would seek to suppress those statements.
Deputy District Attorney Geoff Paine said last month that Zandstra’s alleged admission came not because he was tricked or confused into providing one, but after he was accused of molesting another victim.
He added that the investigation is ongoing and that other victims of a sexual assault nature have come forward since Zandstra was charged in Gretchen’s murder, including those inside and outside of Delaware County.
No additional charges have been filed as yet. Zandstra is scheduled for a pretrial conference Feb. 15 before Common Pleas Court Judge Anthony Scanlon. He remains in custody at the county jail in Concord without bail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkitafrombama
Back