PA PA - Carole Ann Kresik, 36, East Pittsburgh, 6 December 1986

PGHJW

Reaction score
A little surprised that there isn’t a thread for this case already. Not the highest profile case and certainly not a ton of information out there but it has gotten some television stories over the past decade or so, likely due to a friend of the victims who runs a Facebook page and who, at least at one point, offered a reward for information.

Carole Kresik was murdered in the early morning hours of December 6, 1986 in her apartment. She had returned home from spending a night out at the Monroeville Holiday Inn (about twenty minutes away from her apartment) listening to live music with a friend. It’s unknown if the perpetrator was waiting for her when she got home, entered with her or broke in afterward. A neighbor heard screams at some point and called police. When they arrived someone was heard moving around inside. When they finally forcibly entered it seems that the murderer had just exited out the dining room window in the rear of the apartment and probably into the woods/up the hill behind.

You sort of have to piece together a lot of info from different sources. The friend who runs the Facebook page is dedicated but different bits of info pop up in different posts. It’s said that she was attacked on her way home from work several years earlier. It’s also said that she was constatnly receiving harassing phone calls. One of the few newspaper articles that can be found states that while she “kept to herself,” she did socialize and had friends. This is obvious since she was out that night with one. According to one of his Facebook posts the friend who runs the page had dated Carole in the early ‘70s. Sadly, it seems that her entire casefile, including hairs of the murderer found at the scene, was thrown away after a flood.

The apartment is still there today. The small children’s playground across the road from it was dedicated to Carole’s memory in recent years. The Holiday Inn she was returning home from was turned into a Best Western not long ago as a new Holiday Inn Express was built not far away.

The area wasn’t the best then nor is it now, but it’s not the absolute worst in the Pittsburgh area, either. In 1986 it was a center of economic depression after the Pittsburgh mills and other industry was disappearing. Carole herself felt that as it’s said that she was laid off from her job at Westinghouse the previous year. Monroeville, where she was out with her friend that night, is still relatively thriving. It’s pretty much a destination suburb and really always has been. In the ‘60s and ‘70s it was known for The Holiday House (a “connected” establishment that hosted acts ranging from Bud Abbott, Liberace and even The Three Stooges in their later years) and in the ‘70s and ‘80s for Monroeville Mall (Dawn of the Dead). Nowadays it’s still a heavy commercial and retail area. It’s probably best known now for the Steel City Con show held three times a year (that draws fans even from other countries to meet celebrities) and because it was mentioned a few times on “Scrubs” as the hometown of one of the characters. Monroeville is also much more dangerous now than it was in ’86.

I lived about 15 minutes away from Carole when this happened. I was very young and even if I’d overheard people talking about it I wouldn’t have grasped it. I first remember learning about it roughly a decade ago and I’ve only ever heard one other person, a co-worker who lives close to Carole’s apartment, bring it up. I sometimes wonder if my father ever met Carole as he worked for Westinghouse and was moved around to various locations often. So often these cold cases feel so far removed, but even now I work not far from her area.

I don’t think that this will be solved now unless they miraculously find those lost hairs or new information is provided. In any case it would be nice to have more photos of Carole as most seem to date from her high school years. I echo the sentiments of her friend that runs her Facebook page in that it’s sad to think of what her future could have been like.

Remember Carole Ann Kresik

Last edited:
Since there isn't an overwhelming amount of info on the case, I thought it would be good to add some additional tidbits found in either the few existing articles or on the Facebook page. Carole's friend who runs the Facebook page has put much of this info on there, but it's divided up into individual posts. I've done my best to sort it out here.

*One news story says that there was a suspect who was questioned but there was never enough evidence to charge.

*Carole's friend states that police felt that the murderer was a random person while her friends/family feel that it was someone that she knew or was at least familiar with.

*According to Carole's friend, law enforcement feels that the murderer got on a bus, got to Carole's home and boarded a bus home after.

*According to Carole's friend a blue car was parked outside the apartments when police arrived. This car apparently belonged to someone half a mile down the hill. Though it isn't stated, it sounds like this car was gone later. This tidbit needs more info as it doesn't add up if the murderer apparently got out the back way. Could this have been the car of the suspect was questioned?

*Carole's friend seems to have discovered that the investigators know that the murderer wore some sort of army boots.

*It's never specified as to what condition the lights in the house were found, but variously it's reported that either lightbulbs were unscrewed or lights were broken. If this is true it would indicate that the killer was waiting for her. Other times, though, it's questioned if the person was already inside, if they followed her in, or entered after she'd already been home.

*Carole's first attack, while walking home from work, seems to have happened somewhere between 1979-1981. Although it resulted in her staying in the hospital for a week, she apparently never reported it. Carole's friend she was around 29 when it happened (which would be 1979), but in another post states that it was five years before her death (1981).

*Carole is said to have reported the obscene calls that she was receiving before her death, but law enforcement would not look into it as, according to them, her life was not directly threatened.

*The timeline needs more clarification as well. According to one of the articles posted above, Carole was last seen alive outside of her apartment by her car around 2:45 AM. If that's the correct time it just feels off to me. The bars close at 2 here. It wouldn't take her more than twenty minutes to get from the Monroeville Holiday Inn to her apartment, especially at 2 AM. That's nearly a half hour missing. With how she'd been attacked years earlier and the phone calls, it doesn't feel as if she'd want to linger outside alone at night. It could very well be that the policeman in the patrol car actually saw her around 2:15, but we don't know.

*By all accounts Carole was a kind, somewhat shy and private woman. Still, she did seem to enjoy going out on occasion. The Holiday Inn location that she was at on her last night is described as a disco. According to her friend, that night featured a DJ playing oldies. Newspaper ads from around the same time indicate that music was played their frequently. From my own remembrances of the place, it was a small restaurant/bar that had a small dance floor. Carole's friend who runs the Facebook page states that they had first met while out dancing in the early '70s. She definitely does NOT seem to have been the type of person to bring someone home after meeting them that night, but did she possibly just dance with the wrong person? Maybe she stayed to talk with them after and that person followed her home? It's also interesting that her friend is said to have called it a night and left earlier than Carole. You'd think that Carole would've left, too.

A lot of these questions can probably easily be answered, but with the little info that's out there it's what we're left with.

I know the police were occupied with the crime scene, but it's too bad no one was available to follow the killer ( even as best they could?). Of course she wasn't even dead yet ( it says she died in the hospital) and they didn't know whether she was or not in the first seconds inside the apartment or what they were dealing with, but still, anyone fleeing a potential crime scene, murderer or not, is an issue. I'd guess they probably saw imprints of the murderer's boots in the snow perhaps? Was there snow on the ground I wonder? If so, tracks from the murderer could have been followed for awhile until impossible to see due to woods.

I know the police were occupied with the crime scene, but it's too bad no one was available to follow the killer ( even as best they could?). Of course she wasn't even dead yet ( it says she died in the hospital) and they didn't know whether she was or not in the first seconds inside the apartment or what they were dealing with, but still, anyone fleeing a potential crime scene, murderer or not, is an issue. I'd guess they probably saw imprints of the murderer's boots in the snow perhaps? Was there snow on the ground I wonder? If so, tracks from the murderer could have been followed for awhile until impossible to see due to woods.

Per historical weather reports it does sound like there's the possibility of some light snow on the ground.

I'm thinking that she was probably dead once they got in, but wasn't actually pronounced dead until possibly some efforts were made at the hospital. This and more about the killers escape could probably be answered if more info from the time were available.

I found this post way down on the Facebook page about her which explains why the police didn't catch or at least try to catch the killer at the scene. On another note, I wonder if they exhumed Carol they could find some physical evidence linked to the killer? Maybe she was cremated, but her facebook page does show a picture of a grave. That's a very long shot though. Also, apparently the killer did not leave noticeable finger prints? "December 6, 2019 is the 33rd anniversary of Carole Ann Kresik's death. Carole was murdered after returning home from an evening at the Holiday Inn, Monroeville, Pennsylvania. She and a friend attended an evening of dancing and music. Her friend left early and she left a little bit later, arriving at her home sometime around 2 AM. Neighbors heard a woman screaming, called police and waited. Two police officers were dispatched to the home. One officer was supposed to wait at the front door for an answer, and the second officer was to go to the rear of the building, but declined to do so. If the second officer had gone around the back of the building, they would've nabbed the killer but while the two of them were waiting at the front door, the assailant escaped through the dining room window to scramble up the hill and escape. As there are in many investigations, mistakes were made. A blue car which was not owned by anyone on the street was there when police arrived. The owner of that car actually lived about a half a mile away at the bottom of a very steep hill. Despite investigating a number of leads, no one was EVER arrested in this case. About 17 years ago, a cardboard box with all of the cold case information from the case was involved in a flood at the warehouse near the river where such things were stored. About a dozen case boxes were drenched in water, and someone from the Allegheny County police allowed the physical evidence to be thrown out instead of desiccated so that the information could be used. Now, 33 years later, the case has been dormant for many many years. Though Carole's case will likey never be solved because of the lack of physical evidence, we remember Carole and the good that she stood for. Tragedies such as hers occur more often than they actually should. All available forensic tools and "new" eyes should be employed to re-examine the evidence and come up with new strategies that might break the case open. It is sad that we should have to remember dates like these instead of dates for Carole's marriage, the birth of her children, high school graduations of her kids and wedding anniversaries. We can't do that because Carole's life was thoughtlessly ended that cold night in December, 33 years ago. Say prayer for Carole and her killer. We must never give up hope."

Morton said the biggest problem facing investigators is the lack of physical evidence. Most of the evidence was destroyed when flood waters backed up through the sewer into the Allegheny County Police lab during the flood of 1996.

"If we had that evidence today, I believe we could solve a good many of these cold cases," said Morton.

Carole had a stalker who was almost certainly the murderer, but there obviously was never enough info to charge him. Her friend mentions that at some point on the Facebook page exactly where I don't recall now and says whoever he was ( it sounds like the friend knows his name) he had a prior criminal record. I'm guessing he's still living or was at the time of the post as the friend doesn't say much about him.

I wonder why he got so obsessed with Carol, anyway? It sounds like he probably dated her or wanted to and Carole not wanting contact or contact anymore angered him. He may have seen her head out that night and then awaited her return. His first attack was more public though assuming that was him too..so maybe that wasn't intended to kill her, just scare her. But he obviously must have intended her death the second time.

Carole had a stalker who was almost certainly the murderer, but there obviously was never enough info to charge him. Her friend mentions that at some point on the Facebook page exactly where I don't recall now and says whoever he was ( it sounds like the friend knows his name) he had a prior criminal record. I'm guessing he's still living or was at the time of the post as the friend doesn't say much about him.

I wonder why he got so obsessed with Carol, anyway? It sounds like he probably dated her or wanted to and Carole not wanting contact or contact anymore angered him. He may have seen her head out that night and then awaited her return. His first attack was more public though assuming that was him too..so maybe that wasn't intended to kill her, just scare her. But he obviously must have intended her death the second time.

I can't decide in my head if the earlier attacker is the same person as her killer or not. It would certainly be terrible to be the victim of two attackers, but there was at least five years between the incidents. Even then that area wasn't great. Not the worst, even in Pittsburgh, but not great. A lot of shadiness around and, even at the time, a rather depressed area due to the mills closing.

Per the Facebook page today:

“The cold case detective assigned to the case just informed me days ago that photographs of the prints lifted from Carole's neck have been sent to the Pennsylvania State Police. They were able to digitally "clean up" the chatter in the photographs taken after her death and it is possible that the prints may be sent to Quantico VA to the FBI labs for further clarification. It may be possible to extract a portion of a usable print that then may be sent to CODIS for a match.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loria4mi5
Back